Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my friend home last night and when I dropped him off I noticed a check engine light. I dont think it was there when I left my house but it was on the way back. I went home and checked and the code was P0304 Misfire on cylinder 4. I was thinking about the drive home when I remembered my foot kinda slipping of the clutch and I kind of stalled the car but caught it before it died on me. I am wondering if the lack of gas at the time caused the misfire and subsequent check engine light? I reset the code this morning and drove the car for about 10mins and didn't hear or feel any problems. Should I be worried about this problem or should I just take it in while I still can? A friend told me to see if I could smell any gas like the car is running rich, but I don't really know how that helps. Maybe it will tell me if theres an internal problem. What should I do?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
hows the plug gap look?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is going to sound stupid, but I opened up my hood and I couldn't figure out how to get to my plugs. Even worse, which is the 4th cylinder? I used to have a pic that showed the cylinder numbers but I don't know where it is. I think im just too tired from studying for my anatomy & physiology test tomorrow....

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Cylinder #4 is the passenger side rear plug. Check to ensure the coil is mounted securely.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

So I took my car over to a friends and checked the plugs, without really taking them out, and some of the wiring without finding anything wrong. We both took it for a test drive and didn't feel or hear anything wrong. There was no hesitation or bogging down so I cleared the code and drove around fro a little while.

I waited a few days and got the same trouble code for the 4th cylinder. I decided to have a shop I know look at it to determine what was wrong. Come to find out the spark plug is kind of wet and he said it was probably a leak in my head gasket. I won't even tell you the ridiculous price he quoted me on it, but wow. Can it really be my head gasket? Is there another possibility it could be?

I only have 42,000 miles on my car. Could there be other possible damages by the leakage? I think it might be time to go back to stock and take it to the dealership. sigh.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was it wet with coolant or wet with fuel? Are you loosing coolant? Or did you drive it in the rain where intake might have sucked up water? Is there coolant in the oil when you check it?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to how you do that.
Didnt have the adapter to actually take them out. He had the wrong size and I didnt even have the tool. We just basically looked around it lol.

Thats why I ultimately decided to take it in...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was it wet with coolant or wet with fuel? Are you loosing coolant? Or did you drive it in the rain where intake might have sucked up water? Is there coolant in the oil when you check it?
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't see your question first. I believe it was wet with coolant.

I washed my car the weekend before, but I am usually pretty careful about shooting water towards my hood because I have an aftermarket one. I am in school right now so I will check the oil/coolant when I get back. Thank you for the feedback..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked my oil and coolant levels and they seem to be alright.

My oil does not have a milky look to it and it seems to run good when I start it. I checked my warranty and still have awhile left on it.

Should I just take it back to stock and take it in? Also, if I reflash the computer back to stock does that mean I will lose my check engine light?

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I checked my oil and coolant levels and they seem to be alright.

My oil does not have a milky look to it and it seems to run good when I start it. I checked my warranty and still have awhile left on it.

Should I just take it back to stock and take it in? Also, if I reflash the computer back to stock does that mean I will lose my check engine light?
If you have a shop that you trust, I'd have them look before you take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have a shop that you trust, I'd have them look before you take it to the dealer.
I took it to a shop that does pretty good work, as long as it is a pretty simple job. They replaced my e-brake when I broke it for $45. They are the ones that took out my spark plug and said that it was wet, which was probably causing the misfire. Then he informed me that I should just take it in to ford if I have the warranty and that it was probably my head gasket that was leaking.

My problem is I don't think it really is the head gasket from what I have been reading. I don't have any problems with the color or level of my oil, and I am not losing any coolant. After I drove it around the first time I had the check engine light I had no problem with it overheating (as much as a dummy light will show me).

I did wash my car the weekend before I got the check engine light and there is a good possibility that water could have gotten onto the air filter and sucked into the engine. I felt like I was careful enough when I washed it, but I am not ruling out that possibility.

I am just wondering what is my next step from here. Do i put the car back to stock and drive it around to try and hopefully get the check engine light to come back on and take it to the dealer, or is there some other way to determine if it really is in fact the head gasket that is leaking?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also when I flash my car back to stock I will still have 89 octane gas inside of it. I am low on gas, maybe 20-30 miles left. Will I have any problems with the rest of the 89 still in the tank, and should I get 87 octane when I go to get gas in the morning?

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I would stay with the 89 because if you don't have a problem you can just reload your tune and keep going.

There is usually 2 ways to tell if its a head gasket. milky oil and removing the rad caps you can see bubbles in the coolant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would get one plug and change the number 4 plug. It is the 4th one back on the passenger side if you are standing in front of the car. I just had a misfire after putting new plugs in and one of the new ones had a crack in the porcelain and it was arking. As far as the fuel octane rating you can run whatever you want as long as it is not tuned for something higher than what you are using. You can always run higher octane then what you are tuned for just not lower.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update....

I finally took my car into the dealership and they ended up having my car for about a month.

First off they took over a week to diagnose the problem. The problem ended up being a valve on the 4th cylinder. I don't remember if it was exhaust or intake but one of them was not closing all the way and leaving enough clearance to cause a problem with the mixture and throw the check engine light. At least that's how I understood it from the guy on the phone.

They ended up deciding to change out my right side head, which was going to cost $3800. Supposedly any work $2000 or more has to be approved by Ford corporate, which basically meant I had to wait another week for that to happen.

After all of that they did all the work and now I have my car back; Finally.

Sorry for the long post......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.