Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some frpp cams in my car and the car started and idled fine. Let it idle for about an hour after install. 2 days later came back and drove it for about 5 miles. Ran fine just idled rough. After I shut it off it won't start now. Through a p0012 code for bank 1 so I changed the vct solenoid on passenger side and changed oil with no change

·
Super Moderator
2,261 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

I moved your post to the appropriate section.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
554 Posts
Make sure the cam sensor is plugged in. If it is then I would pull bank 1 valve cover and double check that the phaser was installed on the cam nose straight and true. The alignment dowel is fully engaged. Make sure the relucter wheel is parallel and that the center prong has returned to the "rest" position (aligned with the "L" on the phaser). Did you use new phaser bolts? If not, they are one time use torque to yield bolts. The worst case is that the timing is off and the engine needs to be re-timed.

Reactions: marylandGT

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Jeramy has some lagit install questions.

I'm wondering wha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure the cam sensor is plugged in. If it is then I would pull bank 1 valve cover and double check that the phaser was installed on the cam nose straight and true. The alignment dowel is fully engaged. Make sure the relucter wheel is parallel and that the center prong has returned to the "rest" position (aligned with the "L" on the phaser). Did you use new phaser bolts? If not, they are one time use torque to yield bolts. The worst case is that the timing is off and the engine needs to be re-timed.

Thanks I will check this afternoon. I used new bolts and double checked everything before start up. Could it be a dirty throttle body and maf? I did not clean them

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks I will check this afternoon. I used new bolts and double checked everything before start up. Could it be a dirty throttle body and maf? I did not clean them
Wouldn't think so, since the code refers to timing advance/retard on Bank 1. Could also be the oil metering passage on the front bearing cap is clogged . If you pull the valve cover, remove the front bearing cap and clean the metering orifice on the bottom face of the cap. Its very thin shallow channel that feeds oil to the VCT solenoid. And just to be sure, did you install FoMoCo VCT solenoid or aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Lol.
What happened to my post.
I was going to point out that I see nothing about a tune adjustment for the cams.
Also, problems with VVT can arise from a few issues. Jeremy touched on most of them.
Jumping a tooth on the timing chain is also one of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't think so, since the code refers to timing advance/retard on Bank 1. Could also be the oil metering passage on the front bearing cap is clogged . If you pull the valve cover, remove the front bearing cap and clean the metering orifice on the bottom face of the cap. Its very thin shallow channel that feeds oil to the VCT solenoid. And just to be sure, did you install FoMoCo VCT solenoid or aftermarket?
Aftermarket vct solenoid. I cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor last night and it didn't help. Ill try to get the valve cover off tonight or tomorrow and hopefully will have some more info

Lol.
What happened to my post.
I was going to point out that I see nothing about a tune adjustment for the cams.
Also, problems with VVT can arise from a few issues. Jeremy touched on most of them.
Jumping a tooth on the timing chain is also one of them.
I used a new tune from bama. I've tried my old tune (pre cams) and I've tried my stock tune and nothing changes

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
I doubt the tune is preventing it from starting, but it could be an issue with the way it runs . . . if you want to consider a new/better tune, "Lito" is real good with remote tuning on these cars using datalogging, you can reach him at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You're right JBert. I forgot it Started at one point and now it doesn't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took it apart and the marks I had on my phaser and chain are 5 links apart now

I tore it apart tonight and my marks on the chain and phaser are 5 links apart on bank 1. What are the odds I bent valves?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
107k is not a lot of miles to have timing chain problems if the oil changes were done, by the previous owner, when they were supposed to be.

Reactions: Jeremy Weigel
1 - 16 of 16 Posts