Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2006 Mustang GT, and I cant seem to figure out where this rear end noise is coming from. I'm afraid to take it to any dealership or mechanic and when he takes apart the axle things would just crumble. I can tell you that one day while i was getting my oil changed, The mechanic said the seal in the axle was crack and i paided him to have it replaced. I had also broken my emergancy brake later that year which cause my rotors to be grinded down almost paper thin :head_shot: I once again paid a load of money to this mechanic for him to fix this (took him twice, he broke the original replacement) But I almost feel as if he didnt do anything right. When I drive I hear a whinning noise, and my mustang feels like its being dragged around. Any information to help me solve this before I might have to take it in again would be greatly appreciated
:thanks:

·
Registered
413 Posts
You probably have one of those "alledged" defective rears like I had. The housing was cut wrong from the OE plant. Ford looked the other way when I made a claim because I had replaced the gears with 3:73's. I did have whining/noise issues with the original gears before doing the 3:73's, took it back, Ford fixed it by dumping goop in the rear to quiet it down. After I did the gear swap, nothing but noise issues, did about 4 gear swaps before replacing the whole rear end. You'll probably need a new rear end, I ending up putting a Ford Racing new rear complete with gears. diff & axles. They also offer an axle kit so you can customize your diff & gears. If you haven't tampered with the gears, take it back to the dealer and see if they'll fix it under the drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Rear End Noise

There are technical service bulletins for all of the above. They help you figure out the problem. They are fixes though for cars still under warranty and your car is most likely out of warranty.

There are TSBs for rear gear noise and also for noise on turns (axle moan and groan) Look at those TSBs and try to determine just which one applies to your car, your noise.

There is also a TSB for Emergency Brake cables freezing up in cold weather. This may be what happened to your car. There, in the TSB is an updated part number for a newer cable.

If your car has a rear axle noise for sure (not brake or suspension related) and your car is out of warranty, you may want to weigh the price of an axle repair against replacing the entire rear end with a take off part such as the link below shows...about $600 for the part, then you would need someone to install the entire rearend...still much cheaper probably than parts and labor to fix the old one.

Ford Mustang OEM Auto Parts for sale

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
For me it was the bearings. One just gave out at highway speed and I had all this grinding and vibration. The dealership rebuilt the whole rear gear. Upon reflection I should have had them install a 3.73 rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.