Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just purchased a set of 'eleanor' side scoops and super snake quarter window scoops for my 2006 Mustang, however, only the super snake scoops will come with the 3M tape that's used to keep them on the car. I know you can just go to Napa or Auto Zone and pick up some 3M double-sided tape, but is that seriously going to keep these things on the car? I would think that going 90 on the highway, the wind would rip these scoops right off of the car? Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have louvers attached with 3m tape... stuff works good. Also have it on my blackout panel... works so-so there. Panel is a bit loose on one side. I think if you have it good and clean to start and then make sure not to touch tape it makes a pretty good bond.

You might wanna try to take it to a body shop... they all have the really good 3m tape... the $100 a roll stuff. My shop has offered $5 to redo my blackout panel.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The 3m stuff is like superglue when applied right. I could probably lift my car with my fake hoodpins (3m'd on) Take your time with the cleaning job, and they will be just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not had any problems. Double stick automotive tapes worked good for me. I have tape the headlights splitters, side mirrors covers, rear blackout panel, black tail light trim, side louvers, even the rear window louvers brackets are held together by automotive tape.
It has been tested at high speed, NO problems.

V6JonesMustang

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Get some 3M Adhesion Promoter to apply to all surfaces that will see the tape (on the scoops and on the painted surface of the car).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was thinking of doing.

When I installed the aluminum louvers on my back window i had to use the adhesion promoter before sticking down the taped brackets and if they hold my louvers on at over 100mph then im sure they'll hold the scoops on too!

Thanks guys -- the help is always appreciated!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I've had my side and window scoops on for several years. They aren't going anywhere!
let me ask this,,on the underside of the 1/4 louvs,( or scoops) in the track where the tape goes, did you have that painted or leave it raw?( just where the tape goes) ive got some louves, need to paint still.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like others have said, as long as you clean the surface well and use adhesion promoter when applying the tape on the scoops, they will hold on insanely well. Make sure it is atleast aroun 75 degrees when you do it, and apply firm pressure for several minutes to every edge where there is tape. I installed mine this way and when I was finished I tugged the crap out of them and drove on the highway up to 105 mph. Needless to say, they didn't budge! Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.