Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to tackle the job later on today by myself. looks like a breeze so ill see what i can do. few questions first though. i decided im going to replace the gear oil anyways. it wont hurt, its cheap(relatively), and its a good piece of mind just to know its fresh. for paying so much for the rear end, might as well take good care of it right? now my quick questions...what weight gear oil does the 8.8 call for? how much? friction modifier? synthetic or petroleum based? brand reccomendations? im thinking royal purple. let me know so i can go get everything i need or dont already have...got my tools rounded up, PB blaster is on standby, and the air gun ready to go! haha i will install asap, and try to have it hooked up within 2 hours. any other tips or comments would be great too. thanks

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
Royal purple 75w-140 is what im running.

its some 2 quarts? look in owners manual it will have ammounts for gt and V6

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GOT IT INSTALLED! wow...huge difference...later on that tho. the install went well....the hardest part was slowly jimmying the tcs sensors out. gotta be very careful b/c the sensor itself is very brittle, and the top is made of plastic. everything else was pretty simple. i had a buddy help me at his garage...and his air compressor pooped out so it took longer than i had hoped. haha, as they say...military operations never go as planned. it is now a weapon of rice destruction. i re tuned to compensate for the new gears and rolled out of the drive. instantly i found all kinds of new low end tq. its very snappy out of the hole...and jumps off the line even if you barely give it any throttle. very responsive. unfortunately...you will have to wait for pics tho. didn't have time to bring my cam. ill get some snapped tho. as for my opinion on whether it is worth it....definitely absolutely positively the best mod i have ever done. worth every penny. as a matter of fact.....i kinda just erased a z28 off the road baha. shh tho...i usually don't condone street racing. i keep most my races at the track or on back country roads. after seeing both wheels roll smoke in the drive way tho...i was ready to rip. anyone who is considering this mod please do it. you will not regret it. i do have 2 questions tho. i didnt add any friction modifier....am i in trouble? also is there any alignment issues that can occur? should it be aligned again? thanks...and ask me any questions u have. im gonna go take it back into town and hot rod for a bit.

·
Registered
786 Posts
. i do have 2 questions tho. i didnt add any friction modifier....am i in trouble? also is there any alignment issues that can occur? should it be aligned again? thanks...and ask me any questions u have. im gonna go take it back into town and hot rod for a bit.
Dood, yur gonna burn up that bran new posi if you dont get some lsd fluid in there... And as far as allignment, you should be good, no worries.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went with royal purple. said it already has lsd compatibility on the bottle.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Straight from their website:

Royal Purple Max-Gear is an ultra-tough automotive gear oil. It’s designed to maximize power and provide unsurpassed protection to heavily loaded gears. It makes gears run smoother, quieter, cooler and longer without overhauls.
Max-Gear outperforms other gear oils because it combines the highest quality synthetic oils with Royal Purple’s proprietary Synslide additive technology.
Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions, and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

Thats exactly what i got.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Congrats!

No friction modifier needed with the Royal Purple.

No alignment required if you didn't install adjustable LCA.

"Weapon of rice destruction", nice!

·
Registered
123 Posts
wow. lucky *******. boost ur 0-60 and ur hp/tq.

im so jealous...

i wanna go 9.0 rear end!! LOL

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if youre worried about weight....get a 9. the 8.8 is a heavy sob...im very sure that the 9s are lighter. iv been out with it all day going to graduation open houses. love it. i think the biggest difference is the posi. its so much better than open diff. i knew itd be a big difference but i dunno if i was prepared for what i got. as for the 3:73s.....im not breakin my neck. its definately stonger than the 3:31s...but i could handle 3:90s

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dont think so..gotta buy the gears and have em installed. im not too worried about it right now though...that might be something after f/i if i feel like i need it. the mod list never stops!

·
Registered
514 Posts
burnrubber4.0;1560193i knew itd be a big difference but i dunno if i was prepared for what i got. as for the 3:73s.....im not breakin my neck. its definately stonger than the 3:31s...but i could handle 3:90s[/quote said:
:D:D:D:D:D

WHO WAS IT THAT TOLD YOU TO GO 4.10S???? HMMMMM?!?!?! :gringreen:gringreen

but thats awesome dude im glad you finally got it in! notice any hits in mpg yet?

i just hit 30k miles on mine, i have burned 2 tanks since tuesday! but ive also driven like 475+ miles haha

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mpg looks normal...it might drop on mpg in time tho. everything so far is great. i have noticed a bit of noise coming from the rear some where....may be my caliper covers...mayb something else. tomorrow im going to climb under and re tighten everything up. MAN is it fun to get er sideways now! supercharger here i come....im already craving more power! it never ends. BTW, just ordered a 4in aluminum DS from shaftmasters! yee haw!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
found the noise..it was just the dust shield. musta left one bolt loose. all is well still so far...headin up to the drags friday

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.