Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about these tuners everyone's a fan of:

1. Can the dealer tell you tuned it if you put the stock tune back on?
2. I read on here one time if you go back to stock and the dealer reflashes it, you can't start your car?
3. Does it come with a good tune on it or do you have to do your own and see what feels best?
4. Do you have to let it know you have certain modifications?

I think that's it but I'll probably have more later;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, what does it take to no longer be a rookie? I don't feel like a rookie, haha

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright man, thanks. Quick question: What do you mean by "different strategy"?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I was wondering about these tuners everyone's a fan of:

1. Can the dealer tell you tuned it if you put the stock tune back on?
They can only tell that the PCM has been accessed. Losing battery power does the same thing.
2. I read on here one time if you go back to stock and the dealer reflashes it, you can't start your car?
That can be true if the dealer reflashes with a different strategy. Best to always read your PCM strategy before and after any work to see if anything was done. Or, tell them not to flash your car.
3. Does it come with a good tune on it or do you have to do your own and see what feels best?
They come with tunes for popular options or you can have a tune custom built to your specific mods
4. Do you have to let it know you have certain modifications?
Yes

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man. So.... What do you mean by "different strategy"?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, what do you do if it is different?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Thanks man. So.... What do you mean by "different strategy"?
Each PCM has a specific alpha-numeric strategy that can be read with the tuner. Sometimes Ford will upgrade the strategy and flash the PCM. At that point, your tuner is essentially useless until it is reprogrammed for the new strategy. Generally means your tunes must be redone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does that require resetting your tuner and forgetting the old number or just plugging it in and trying again?

Sorry for all the questions, tuning just seems like the only thing I haven't picked up on yet.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Does that require resetting your tuner and forgetting the old number or just plugging it in and trying again?

Sorry for all the questions, tuning just seems like the only thing I haven't picked up on yet.
The old tunes would need to be erased and new ones uploaded from your PC.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK great. Thanks stl for taking the time to answer all those for me.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
think of strategy codes this way... it's like some upgrade grades your Windows XP to Vista and then none of your software works... LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm picking up what you're throwing down, thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so wait, does that mean I need to buy "new software" (tunes) every time they redo my PCM?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.