Ford Mustang Forum banner

2006 mustang v6 idle problems! Please help!

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  nascar_red 
#1 ·
Alright so here is the story... I purchased a bbk cold air intake, installed it, long story short it caused my engine to run lean. I put the factory airbox back on because I couldn't stand listening to the knocking noise my engine was making. I now have a new problem on my hands... When I start my car now it starts up fine but then dips down to 500 rpm's and makes my engine shake pretty violently. I almost think im going to stall. Please someone who has heard of this or experienced it themselves help me :(

#2 ·
My 2002 does the same thing, sort of. How many miles have you put on the engine since. If less than 50 then drive it around a little bit, changing the airflow might have changed something in the computer and it just needs to re-learn the idle timing. If it doesn't fix itself, try resetting the computer by un-plugging the battery for 10 or so minutes and then go another 50 miles to let the computer do its thang. If that doesn't work there is a bigger problem and I'm sure someone else on here will have another suggestion. Hope this helps man.

#4 ·
Have you cleaned the Throttle Body? If it get gunked up it can lead also to poor idling.
Basic maintenance, like Fuel Filter, Air Filter, TB cleaning:?:
I´m guessing you don´t use a Tuner for the CAI?
The car has to relearn Driving after disconnecting the battery, as mentioned above. Have you done the relearn Process? Owners manual tells a quite specific routine (no one cares though :D)

#6 ·
I agree with amustangrocks, check for vacuum leak first. Use wd40 sprayed slowly on each vacuum line. Then check the maf sensor to see if excess oil from the cai install contaminated it. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.