Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I've had this 2006 mustang v6 for a relatively short time. however I do have the Cervini Body kit installed with dual double side mufflers. The other night I had to pick up a friend and unfortunately the drive way had such a high point before a steep slope, that the under carriage of the car grinded (was the worst sound and feeling ever, especially since there was no turning back once I was at that point) So I park the car, and immediately I can smell a horrible burning smell, not like burning rubber, like The smell of an Engine burning. Upon leaving, I noticed a *dramatic* power decrease ( I don't think I could have made it burn out even if I wanted to) and there was alot of smoke, mind you the car has never smoked before. By the time I got home, the gas tank had dropped from half to a quarter tank, and Once parked in the garage, I noticed the smell was still there, and now there was a small puddle underneath the left muffler.

The obvious? - Ok.. I screwed up my muffler

What I don't know

*How Bad is it?
*What part of screwing up the muffler causes such a huge decrease in power?
*Will it damage the car by driving it like this?
*Is it safe to drive?
*Is it Repairable?
*If it is repairable, is it more worth it to have it repaired, or install a new one?

Any advise or input is greatly appreciated, Thanks in Advance guys.

·
Registered
431 Posts
hey is the puddle gas ? or something els, if its gas then its not the muffler

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come to think of it I don't think its gas, there was no scent coming off it the way there would be if it was gas. Well.. time to take it to the mechanic, lets hope this isn't too expensive v_v

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
welcome to the forums darknlight8. i would first determine what the puddle was. thats a major factor. then i would put a jack under that car and look for visual signs of damage. sometime a scape can sound way worse than it really is. the visual inspection should show you what happened.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT drive it to the mechanic.... I repeat, do NOT DRIVE it to the mechanic, please tow it. Or you might have a crispy critter instead of a car. If you have smoke, then something that can burn is leaking from somewhere it shouldn't. Could be oil from a small hole in your pan, brake fluid, power steering fluid, possibly even fuel from the fuel line. It probably have very little to do with the exhaust though. As far as puddles coming from the muffler, if you grinded a hole in a muff, some water might come out, because most of our mufflers get alot of condensation in them and can have water in them for a quite a while until it dries from driving. Sometimes you can even see water spray from an exhust when the engine is reved just after starting it. Any other cemical that has made it that far back in your exhuast system, to leak from your muffler, would prbly burn up before getting there and you would have large clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust tips, and a crispy car.
good luck, let us know wazup k?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it turns out the puddle was condensation, not gas (big relief to me) and I can tell the muffler is rattling quite a bit, so it must have just come a bit loose. The muffler system wasn't done professionally, still, I'll try and get around to takin a picture of it for you all to enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.