Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a post on 05+talk, i saw an i dea including an old oh sh** . in my cars scheme, i love the retro look. adding little touches always catch my attention and reminds me of my cars roots. a chrome bar from Finish Line Accessories is meant for an older mustang, but i tihnk would really set off my interior, also adding a little comfort to my passengers. Looking at my dash, there is 2 airbag panels that i can avoid. directly below them, its part of your golve compartment.(if you stick your hand in the glove box up there its hollow) this piece of plastc is very sturdy, but is it tough enough to drill into and hold a grab bar steady? i def dont want to ruin my dash with holes, but if it can work itll look really good. also i checked and it looks as if clearance for knees wont be a problem, its too high up. let me know your opinion cuz im really considering the idea. all im worried about is how sturdy it can be, if i need to custom fab some anchor pts or not, and if someone is gonna grab onto it and rip my dash out..haha

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think the first time someone put thier palm on it to stand up out of the car, you'd be picking pieces of your dash up off the carpet.

When I used to go Jeeping we called those 'Sissy Bars'.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't think that's sometihng I would want to try

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think there is not a good way to put one in a useful form in a useful place.

I had one in my MG TD. First time anyone used it in actual panic, she pulled the wooden dash right of its woodscrew-into-wood mounts. Do you know how terrible the sound of gas escaping from a mechanical gauge tube is?

The only time I drove a Cobra (289 slalom champ's car) the owner-passenger white-knuckled his, for certain.

You should put a nice picture of a grab handle, preferably to scale, in the right place. Good looking, and no danger of getting it blown into a passenger's brain when the air bag deploys.

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
I do not think that is something I would be willing to do.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i figured if i did it id need new anchor points, brackets, and braces to keep it sturdy. hey, mayb ill figure somethin out, get a patent, and get rich..haha ill let ya know if i decide to go thru with it, still waiting on other opinions

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
not my cup of tea. besides, if you can't handle it without a bar, get outta my car :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.