Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5000 miles in the 9 months that I own my stang. I noticed a few paint chips on the car. Are people finding that the paint is not as durable or is it just my luck (wrong place at the wrong time).

For painting the chips has anyone used the clearcoat as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have some chips too. Paint is crap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ford almost certainly is no worse than most who are using the water based paint. For $500, I had the 3M paint protection film installed on the the front bumper, part of the front fenders and hood, and all the plastic light covers. After 6,500 miles, not a single chip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 06 with black paint. Have about 30,000 mile an it and have about 30 chips. I don't tailgate and keep it cleaned and waxed. I believe it has an inferior paint job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have just under 780 miles on my '08, and not a single chip yet. This weekend will be the biggest test as I have about 650 miles of driving (to NYC and back). After that she'll be sitting until I get the stripes and 3M coating done (about $1900 for both).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 07 GT Tungsten have paint problems front fascia is obviously stone chips but I also have them on the top of the hood and a few on the roof that are about 1/8" Don't look like stone chips I think there are issues and Ford isn't saying anything. The service manager at Bluestar where I bought car is a sawed off little knob and says they probably wont warranty it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't know what it is about these cars, but they seem to be rock magnets. Every Stang I walk up to has paint chips on the hood. It's just unavoidable and part of the car.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I don't know what it is about these cars, but they seem to be rock magnets. Every Stang I walk up to has paint chips on the hood. It's just unavoidable and part of the car.
You just don't notice them on cars you don't care about;)

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
man, i feel pretty good about this issue.47,000, not one chip in my frt bumper or hood. ive got a couple sratches on the door. its a mystery to me how my car has made it this long and still looks allmost new. guess for the first time in my life i actually got lucky or something;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Have a Vista Blue 2008 V8 and had a Vista Blue 2006 V6.
The V6 had plenty of chips on the front and the wind shield.
The 2008 only has one, got during the first week of course. Nothing else....
I believe the paint job is fine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm at about 14K miles (I've been saving the 'Stang for Sundays and sunny weekdays) at this point. Hand-washed it today and counted half a dozen minor (1/16" or less) chips. Nothing noticeable from more than a foot or two away.

When I had the stripes painted, I had two extra coats of clear put on top, with the first one wet-sanded. I did it for appearance, but I would assume it helps quite a bit on the durability front, so your results may vary.

At the time I had the paintwork done, the owner of the shop commented on how surprised he was at the quality of the paint and clearcoat work from the factory - smooth, no orange peel, decent coverage. The very vertical shape of the nose puts most of the chip zone on the plastic areas (bumper and grillework), fortunately.

Saw an S197 the other day with a "bra" though - maybe that's one way to avoid chipping, but, ugh.

·
Registered
173 Posts
man, i feel pretty good about this issue.47,000, not one chip in my frt bumper or hood. ive got a couple sratches on the door. its a mystery to me how my car has made it this long and still looks allmost new. guess for the first time in my life i actually got lucky or something;)
oh boy, you just jynxed it! knock on wood.

I didnt have any chips until I took it in to get stripes. I got it back from the dealership with 2 deep chips on the top of the trunk. :weeps

·
Registered
5 Posts
my mustang

I have an 04 mustang with 40500 miles on it i have really taken care of this car. I noticed after my last detail that the paint is starting to peel on the hood, sides, top and back of the car. I took it to 3 different body/paint shops and they all told me before I get them to repaint go back to the dealer because its factory defect. So I did, the body/paint shop their just happened to be honest and said ya alot of what your seeing is factory defect but its past warranty so you'll have to talk to Ford and the head of the dealership, so I did.
Ford told me that its out of warranty but what a better time to buy a new car! And the Dealer ship played the duck and cover until I waited outside his office for 1/2 hour then threatened to walk in to talk to him to see him. He told me he knows about my situation and is willing to take $250.00 off the paint job because it turns out the bumper was replaced right before i bought it and not painted properly. When I bought this car it had only 2500 mile on it. This dealer ship was called Ullman Motors in Centralia Washington.
So basically Ford has really bad paint just do this test, next time you wash your car pop the trunk and see how much paint comes off the painted inside don't worry this wont rust though.
quarzac

·
Registered
858 Posts
I ONLY hand wash and in the warmer months and around car show time i really get into the details of the cleaning. Everytime i do the details it pains me to see how many chips i have on the hood of a car with 14k miles on it. it is most likely due to driving fast, tailgating and autocross events in parking lots with alot of pebbles.

I was talking with an Old Hot Rod guy at a show a few weeks ago and he said the FORD factory paint jobs are 2 step, paint & Clear and out the door. He thinks that any factory paint, aside from high end vehicles will show chips and the only way to avoid it is a GOOD 3 step paint job, one which includes multi layers of paint and clear coat and wet sanding in between.

Maaco paint job $1,000
Custom shop job - $5,000

i say, Enjoy the car, screw the chips, you only see them when you up close. Once the paint starts to looks crappy get a good paint job from a reputable custom shop. I got tired of worrying about it and you will 2.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
It must be a problem with the Vista blue paint.
Just google "Vista problems" and lots of information displays.
Apparently Microsoft is having trouble with Vista blue paint, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.