Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come for me to get my hands on a tuner and tunes. I have decided to get a SCT X-Calibrator 3. This is the best place I have found:
BamaChips Custom X-calibrator 3 05-08 Mustang V6 BamaChips Custom X-calibrator 2 05-06 Mustang V6 [X3 V6] - $379.00 : Bamachips, The Mustang Tuning Source

It comes with 3 BamaChips tunes so I think this is the best deal.

He asks for 3 tunes to choose and I am not sure which ones. The tunes I was thinking is an overall balanced everyday driving tune, a performance tune and a fuel economy tune for those long drives. So which ones do you suggest? Also I will include in the order that I have a CAI, though I don't have one yet but I plan on getting one soonish.

Thanks for your help :bigthumbsup

PS: For all I am thinking 87 octane unless you guys think there is a really good reason to go higher.

·
Registered
889 Posts
1. Get an 87 Performance tune. That is the economy tune and is also a handy one to have in case you end up somewhere where higher octane fuel isn't available or you get a bad tank of gas.

2. Get the 91 or 93 Race tune. That's all I run in my Mustang and I've tried all his tunes. Blows the doors off the Performance tune.

3. Get whatever other tune you want. Try a 91 or 93 Torque tune to round things out and play with if you want. A lot of folks really like the Torque tune if all your driving is in town.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Really? The 87 Performance is an economy tune? Misleading name.

And I take it the Torque tune would be the overall balanced everyday driving. Can it be 87 or would 93 be better? I know 93 is better but it is also more expensive.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hard to say because i have a gt but i thought the 87 tune with intake was a great difference, but the 93 race tune is just sick and i am waiting to try the torque tune. I would get some 93 tunes.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am gonna get a 93 Race Tune

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks.

Really? The 87 Performance is an economy tune? Misleading name.

And I take it the Torque tune would be the overall balanced everyday driving. Can it be 87 or would 93 be better? I know 93 is better but it is also more expensive.
Bamachips doesn't make an 'economy tune'. The closest thing to it is the 87 Perf tune.

The Torque tune gives you a lot of low end grunt at the expense of some top end power. If you do a lot of driving on 2 lane highway where you need passing power at 70mph, the Race tune is much better. If most of your driving is 55 and under on city streets, the Torque tune is a lot of fun.

If you look at the thread I made a week ago, you can see that going with the higher octane tune really won't cost you that much in the long run. Wish I could get 93 octane fuel out here.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-mustang-v6-tech/124451-improved-gas-mileage-cai-tune.html

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I live in the city where there is a lot of stop and go so I am thinking torque tune would be best.

So these are what I am thinking

93 Race Tune
87/93 Torque (still thinking)
87/93 Performance (still thinking)

Do you know anybody that does economy tune?

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you get the SCT tuner that has the canned tunes made by SCT I think there's one in there that's supposed to get another 10% out a tank of gas but it probably makes the car feel like a Yugo too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you get the SCT tuner that has the canned tunes made by SCT I think there's one in there that's supposed to get another 10% out a tank of gas but it probably makes the car feel like a Yugo too.
Well I am getting the SCT tuner from bamachips so I doubt he will leave the SCT tunes that come with the tuner.

Also noticed that he cannot make a 87 octane torque tune. Is 89 octane worth it or is it just a waste of money. Reason I ask is because most that I see here it is either 87 or 91/93 octanes.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Bamachips tunes are notorious for running a bit rich. Just a week or so ago FuzzyDice had his GT dyno'ed with a Bamachips tune and his air/fuel ratio was WAY on the rich side. Evolution Performance also has tunes that are way out of whack.

I hear that Doug from Bamachips has very good customer service, but if I were you i'd order from Brenspeed. There haven't been any complaints about them and Brenspeed is one of the highest ranked internet tuners for our cars. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I used bamachips and when i got my car turbo'd the engine blew so that was either at the fault of the installer, the engine was completely shot to begin with or just something random, im wondering if the tune i was running from bamachips weakened the engine some how :scratchchin

Also with the torque tune from bamachips it was fun but either my transmission or the rear end was making odd noises so i stayed with the race tune all the time.

I would recommend bamachips only because i dont have any real proof to say his tunes botched my engine, i also would recommend brenspeed because i have yet to hear anything bad about them and i would also e-mail jon lund at [email protected] and see what kind of deals he has, he's an amazing tuner, my v6 is now making 335 rwhp and almost 400 torque on 8.3 psi :happyhapp

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I'll check them both out.

Brenspeed seems good but the deal as bamachips is better, but if it does run rich then it doesn't matter, no?

And Chris,
Do you know if he sells the X3s or just the tunes?

·
Registered
558 Posts
what are the major differences in the tunes when it comes to what fuel you use? Does it make much difference?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what are the major differences in the tunes when it comes to what fuel you use? Does it make much difference?
From what I understand the higher octane the better performance you will get and more gains. If your car is not tuned for a higher octane it is best you don't put in a higher than 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Im 99% positive he sells xcal3s as well as tunes

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks, but I am not looking for a CAI. I already have one, hopefully, lined up.
you talking about mine? its still sitting in my garage lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had used Bama for a tuner for a 2000 Ranger I had with a 3.0L Engine. When I bought the truck it could not get out of its own way, it was such a sled. I bought the tuner from Doug and put in the software and the truck came alive. Albeit it was not going to beat a Corvette or Cobra, but it was a very big improvement and was fun to drive. It would leap out of the toll booths when I floored it and scream up to the shift point and bam, throw the shift.

So.. based on my previous experience, I decided to by am XCal 3 from Doug. Now having built many an engine, it may be true that he might tune them on the rich side, which I personally would prefer. Anyone who has built engines knows that if the engine goes lean that is disaester and burnt valves and pistons. Old rule of thumb was to always err towards the rich side. I would rather run a tad rich and pay a little extra for the gas, then penny pinch to the lean and end up buying a new engine. I assume with the Turbo engine, it ran lean and that is what killed it... not the tune from Bama Chips.
Anyway.. I will report on how my car runs after I get the unit from Doug and have a chance to flesh it out a bit.

Hope this provides some insight..... Remember.. to make power you need fuel and air...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.