·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well still haven't made up my mind. Bamachips seems great because you get a lot of different types of tunes and the costumer support is awesome, but I hear the tunes tend to run a bit on the rich side which is not good for the car... though might be better than lean.

Brenspeed does one tune and makes it for 3 octanes.

I am looking for a tune that is all around good for everyday dirving (mostly city as we as highway). A fun high performance tune. And a tune that I can put on for those LONG highway trips (~1500 miles) where I don't need a lot of power.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok, I am soooooo confused now. haha. I am new to tuners as I have worked on a '67 Mustang for a few years. Anyways, I have a 2007 V6 Stang and I am getting an AEM Brute Force Intake. I was looking at tuners because everyone is saying that without it the intake will cause the motor to run lean.

So, I am now stuck between many options. I was looking for the freedom of having the customizable X3 from SCT but I hear about Brenspeed and Bama Chips tunes and I am now so confused that I am not sure if I am making sense.

If someone can please help me I would appreciate it. Just let me know what questions I need to answer to get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have experience with an SCT X-CAL 3 on a V6 automatic and on a GT manual.

Ordered the SCT with three "custom" tunes for the stock-except-a-filter-and-GT-takeoff-muffler V6, from Bamachips. It worked good. Tunes were 87 Performance, 91 Performance, and 91 Torque. All three improved the automatic shifting, all three improved throttle response, all three made the exhaust sound more "punchy".

Both the 91 tunes improved eighth-mile performance to a greater degree than the 87 tune. The Performance tune gave very slightly faster ETs than the Torque. The Torque gave very slightly higher terminal speeds than the Performance. Al three were significantly faster than stock.

I liked the 91 Torque on the street, lots of quick shove at very low RPM. The 87 Performance was nicer than stock, shift- and response-wise, but it eventually seemed to me to be wasted space on the tuner, which would hold the "canned" tunes and just three "custom" tunes.

When I transferred the SCT tuner to the pure-stock GT V8, I ordered a set of three V8 manual tunes from Bamachips, all 91 octane: Torque, Performance, Race.

I figured if I ever got into a situation where I needed to use 87 octane gasoline, I could put the stock tune back on. Stock is plenty powerful and pretty responsive on the manual V8.

Changing from V6 pretty-much-stock to V8 pure-stock involved receiving the new tunes as email attachments, uploading them to the tuner by way of supplied software. Painless, pretty much. It's also my understanding that Bamachips will update your custom tunes free, as you add features to your engine setup.

I understand the Race tune combines the low-end grunt of the Torque tune and the higher-end power of the Performance tune. The performance tune worked best at the track, principally because on the stock tires and with my stale stick/clutch skills, both the Torque and Race tunes were uncontrollable on launch.

I used the Performance tune on my 2700-mile trip through CA, AZ, NM, and TX. Averaged more than 24 miles per gallon, including some Touring at Grand speeds, some drag racing, and some mountain climbing. Rolling down the long hill from Flagstaff to Phoenix, got 31.9, by actual miles/gallons. The display showed nearly 40 for a while there.

When I got home I took off the tunes and got a free dealer oil/filter change, and haven't reinstalled the tune yet. Maybe for next Friday at Qualcomm. Getting 23.6 combined highway and around town, according to the computer, which I don't believe for a minute.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.