Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I've been noticing this on/off for a while, but it's finally progressed to the point of intolerability and consistent replicability
When I try to put my pony in second gear, as I release the clutch it "kicks" itself back into neutral
It seems like it engages more frequently when I forcibly pull the shifter "further into" second...and when I give it a bit of gas as I let off the clutch
Any ideas on what this could be? I've asked friends and they've said a bent shifter fork or a chipped gear...
More importantly, does anyone know how much I could expect to pay in labor and parts to get this resolved? I don't have the means of doing transmission work myself, so I'd have to take it to the stealership.

Thank you all so much for your advice! I couldn't live without this board! :)

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Kinda sounds like a synchro. What year is it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't even know manuals had synchros :embarrassed
is there some diagnostic thing i can do to verify it's a synchro?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or do you know how much I should expect to pay to have the dealership take out the transmission and either replace the part or do a rebuild? For that matter, if they do have to do a rebuild, since i plan on forced induction, should I go ahead and have them put in the T-3650? sorry I have so many questions, it's just this board is so full of answers! :bigthumbsup:worship

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dealer is gonna be expensive, especially Labor. When I was looking at a replacement t5 for our 06 v6, I was finding the transmission for $1000 to $1500 and that wasn't even the dealer..

I went the JY route and piced up one with 29k miles on it and put it in our Mustang. It took me 1 day to do. Of course I changed the clutch at the same time, and the slave cylinder. No reason to have it apart and not change the parts while I was in there.

BTW, It was the syncros in our t5 that went bad too. You could not get it into the gears unless you double clutched and skipping a gear (shift from 2 to 5) would always grind.

~Mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, the junkyard is certainly more appealing financially
will i need any special tools to replace the transmission though? like an engine crane, hydraulic pumps, calibrators etc? or will jack stands and a socket set suffice? would replacing the transmission be less labor intensive than doing a rebuild kit?
again, sorry for the questions, but I'm new and eager to learn. The most intensive repair I've done thus far has either been changing differential fluid or replacing the thermostat and housing. :smilie

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
or maybe there's a write up of replacing the transmission so I don't have to bug you guys so much haha? :winks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just found out maxcare should cover it
gonna call and verify my coverage is still active tomorrow and if so, I'm just gonna pony up my $50 and make them deal with it
thanks for all your advice guys, sorry I didn't think of this sooner:doh::spineyes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think it's fair to say that vertually all modern day transmissions have syncro's. Years and years ago transmissions without syncro's usually had to be double clutched to shift. While in Vietnam I had a occasion to drive and old Truck and that transmission didn't have syncro's. I was almost the only one on my shift that knew about doubleclutching, so I got to drive it a lot.
At my age I no longer care to mess with a manual trans, and love my automatic. I installed the firm shift option with my tune and can get rubber in second, and at times third.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called MaxCare, it'll be covered with a $75 deductible, which I think is the best way things could have gone :gringreen
In the meantime, before I drop it off, I started double clutching and it's engaging like a dream
I'm glad because I think that means the shift fork is ok and the gear itself is ok, correct me if I'm wrong
I'm a little concerned that my clutch may have been exposed to a little more wear than usual lately because I've just been slipping it like a madman to get it to engage, but I guess there's no point in panicking since there's no way to reverse the damage and it's not slipping yet..sigh
Thanks so much for all your help guys, you're seriously awesome :worship:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
109 Posts
Find out what MaxCare is going to do. The extended warranty we had on our '06 stipulated they could put used parts in. If you do get a used trans, you want lower mileage and make sure it has a good warranty on it. If it has "any" issue when done, make 'em fix it..

~Mark

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
A 2006 V6 has a T-5.
A TR3650 will NOT fit the V6 without major customization. I've never heard of it being done.

This T-5 is quite a bit different from the 2004 and older units and is not interchangeable other than most of the internal gears.

When a T-5 kicks out of second, the engagement teeth on the second gear and the matching teeth on the sliding gear (1-2 synchro hub) will be worn to a nub due to previous grinding issues.

Usually the fork will be damaged as well, as the driver of a car that kicks out of second will usually hold the shifter to keep it in gear. This will melt the plastic fork pads and the aluminum fork will begin to shave to a nub.

This is all very fixable in a standard rebuild.

Fortunately, this T-5 should be readily available from a salvage yard because they are the same from 2005-2010.

You can obtain good results either way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well guys, I'm pretty confident, thanks to your help, it's the second gear synchronizer. I can't even afford the 75 that MaxCare is charging now, but I'll be able to get it in after this month. I guess that means the topic is resoved. Mods, if you'd close the thread I'd be much obliged. :yup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts