Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals. im new to the forum and got some questions. i have a 00 V6 3.8l base model. now, can i swap the V6 for we'll say a GT V8? stupid Q i kno but i dont want to make any mistakes thanks guys.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
288 Posts
well sure man... just takes time and cash. my question is where are you planning on getting that engine???

youre looking at replacing everything but but the shell of the car. youll need to update the transmission, rearend, suspension that can handle it, and youll need a the wireing harness for all of it too. its not as easy as one of them old mid-sixties mustangs. they just keep making it harder.

·
Registered
288 Posts
well youd have to get the GT transmission, the GT rearend, the GT suspension, the GT wiring harness, the GT engine control Module. youre looking at going from the 3.8 to the 4.6 right? because the 4.6 is a modular engine and it incorperates many more sensors and crap.

·
Registered
288 Posts
honestly no clue. ive never researched it, a lot of it will depend on where you get the parts. i personally would take that 1900 and put it toward a real GT. the way the market is right now it would probably be cheaper to buy a GT of the same year than turn a V6 into a GT.

·
Registered
288 Posts
plus unless youre ABSOLUTELY sure of what youre doing youd save yourself the anxiety of wondering if you got the wiring and stuff right

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
honestly no clue. ive never researched it, a lot of it will depend on where you get the parts. i personally would take that 1900 and put it toward a real GT. the way the market is right now it would probably be cheaper to buy a GT of the same year than turn a V6 into a GT.
+1 Unless you're talking about a 94-95 V6 and swapping to a 5.0 (same era)... this swap is more expensive than buying a GT outright. But... if you want to talk performance of the V6 - you've come to the right place!!! We'll need the basics: budget, goals (street, drag, autocross), time commitment (daily driver or project car), and your skill level. :D
Moving to V6 tech.
We need to find a new place for these swap questions... They tend to bog down people from getting good V6 advice. :smoke:

·
Registered
288 Posts
oh im not talking down the v6 by any means... its a good motor. i also have a 1996 ram 2500 diesel and its an inline six cylinder. when the turbo spools up it will flat get it. the v-6 is a great mod motor. theres definately a lot more room to work with lol

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
oh im not talking down the v6 by any means... its a good motor. i also have a 1996 ram 2500 diesel and its an inline six cylinder. when the turbo spools up it will flat get it. the v-6 is a great mod motor. theres definately a lot more room to work with lol
I gotcha - I didn't take any offense to your comments, so no worries. :shigrin

I agree with you that if the OP wants a V8, the most practical way is to buy a GT (or Cobra! ;)). I was just offering advice to the OP if they wanted to pursue V6 performance. :D

I just get a little miffed that engine swap questions always seem to find a way in to the V6 Tech section -- and it's an inappropriate place for them to be, IMHO. I think there should be a special project section for such questions: could include categories like engine swaps, rear-end swaps, 5-lug conversions, Cobra IRS on a V6 (yup - one of our guys did it!), etc. Hello, moderators?!? :winks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.