Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new 2006 convertable this week. Looks fine and drives like a charm. I do have a few questions.

First, on the drivers side where the glass seals against the rubber gasket, there is squeeking from that seal. Is that because the rubber in new and the parts need time to break in and seat? Has anyone else noticed this?

Second, when I secured the top I put up the driver's window - no problem. When I tried to do the same with the passanger window, the window went up and then went down half way. When I lowered the passenger rear window and raised it first prior to raising the large window, the large window went up and stayed in place. This seems strange. Is this a calabaration issue? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Springsteennj said:
I just got my new 2006 convertable this week. Looks fine and drives like a charm. I do have a few questions.

First, on the drivers side where the glass seals against the rubber gasket, there is squeeking from that seal. Is that because the rubber in new and the parts need time to break in and seat? Has anyone else noticed this?

Second, when I secured the top I put up the driver's window - no problem. When I tried to do the same with the passanger window, the window went up and then went down half way. When I lowered the passenger rear window and raised it first prior to raising the large window, the large window went up and stayed in place. This seems strange. Is this a calabaration issue? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
The rear window has to be raised first, then the fronts. Not sure why.

·
Registered
816 Posts
freeflubber said:
The rear window has to be raised first, then the fronts. Not sure why.
That's odd. Mine works fine either way. As for the squeak, mine did it until I put rubber protectant on the seals. Now it is nice and quiet. :wavey

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got the squeaks on my back window. What type of protectant did you put on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Convertable Question

I just picked up my new pony -- awesome. I have a question on the operation of the convertable top. When you lower the top, you pull the latch down and you twist it to unlatch. My question is that before you lower the top should I push the latch handle back up so it is flush or leave it in the pulled down position.

Thanks

·
Registered
816 Posts
PonyPride said:
I just picked up my new pony -- awesome. I have a question on the operation of the convertable top. When you lower the top, you pull the latch down and you twist it to unlatch. My question is that before you lower the top should I push the latch handle back up so it is flush or leave it in the pulled down position.

Thanks
For me, it depends on whether or not I remember to "latch" them before I lower the top. It doesn't really matter. They don't interfere with anything once the top is down. They just hang around under the "hard" portion of the top, waiting to be used again. :rolleyes: Leaving them in the unlatched position makes life a bit simpler when it comes time to put your top back up. :wavey

·
Registered
816 Posts
jdruid said:
Got the squeaks on my back window. What type of protectant did you put on?
I use Turtle Wax 2001 Super Protectant. Nothing special about it. Armor All or any of the multitude of rubber/vinyl protectants will do the job. :wavey

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question on Vert Top

When I picked up the pony I looked at the inside of the top where the 2 inch wide crossbar is above the driver's seat. I had seen other pics where where there was material that appeared to be extruding from under the crossbar.

This was not evident when I picked up the pony but after raising and lowering the top a few times I noticed it has occurred in my pony. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it normal for these vert tops?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Springsteennj said:

Thanks.
1. Mine squeaked a lot when new, but it has kind of stopped now. I didn't do anything to it.
2. It is a calibration issue, my driver's side big window does that sometimes too, whether or not the little back windows are up. The seals sometimes have a wrinkle in them that sets off the "something's in the window" detector. The windows are supposed to automatically back off if something interferes with them. The sensitivity of that is supposed to be adjustable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
2k5GTC said:
For me, it depends on whether or not I remember to "latch" them before I lower the top. It doesn't really matter. They don't interfere with anything once the top is down. They just hang around under the "hard" portion of the top, waiting to be used again. :rolleyes: Leaving them in the unlatched position makes life a bit simpler when it comes time to put your top back up. :wavey
I wondered about that too, but noticed that mine actually props the top up a little bit if I leave them hanging in the open position. The top goes down further if they're in the closed position. So now I always close the latches. I hit the top down button, wait for the windows to go down, let the top move up a couple inches then let go the button. Then close the latches and hit the button again. Doing the reverse is kinda tricky, but if you practice, you can stop it about 2" off the header.

·
Registered
36 Posts
PonyPride said:
When I picked up the pony I looked at the inside of the top where the 2 inch wide crossbar is above the driver's seat. I had seen other pics where where there was material that appeared to be extruding from under the crossbar.

This was not evident when I picked up the pony but after raising and lowering the top a few times I noticed it has occurred in my pony. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it normal for these vert tops?
I got an 05 I picked up in August. Mine has that. I posted some pics somewhere on here before.

I am going to bring it in to the dealer this fall to have them fix it. Top is down all the time so does not bother me that much.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
My verts Headliner looks like that

Thanks for posting that pick of the headliner. Mine looks just like that. It was not that way when I bought it, but I checked two other convertables at a local dealer and they were both like yours. I get the feeling that this is normal. It may have to do with the top expanding/contracting. I have never had the car out in direct sunlight with the top up, so I do not know if this would change the situation.

Please post what your dealer tells you and I will do the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts