Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to this site although I've visited as a guest previously in search of answers for various issues. I'm sure I'll get aquainted with everyone soon.
I've done many searches across other message boards as well and tried doing all sorts of Google searches but I've come up with nothing substantial so I hope someone can shed some light so here we go.
My car sat for about 3-4 months under a cover during this past brutal winter. It still had the original battery but it eventually died on me so I decided to go for a new one. I went through the procedure indicated in the manual for idle re-learn and so forth so everything is great in general. No problems starting or running. However.......I noticed the exhaust note is much quieter and there is a slight decrease in acceleration. I know some of you may say it's all in my head but I had no previous knowledge of this issue so there wasn't anything to influence me. I can't possibly be the only person to experience this. I can describe in detail but I'd eat up too much time.
A few people suggested I reload the tune, which I did, but nothing changed. I've seen a few mentions of the adaptive learning feature having some effect on driveability but I'm not sure that's the issue. So, does anyone know what it could be? Scratching my head for weeks on this one! Oh, here's a brief vehicle history fyi.

2007 GT/CS, Steeda CAI package w/canned 93 tune, delete plates, underdrive pulley, Granatelli coil packs, Pypes axle-back exhaust. I'm the second owner, current mileage 16,500 miles.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It takes a couple hundred miles of mixed driving for the adaptive learning to really settle down. Until then its behavior can be a bit flakey. Have you gone through the tank of gas that was in it while it was setting and put in some fresh summer stuff? Old winter gas can make things a bit sluggish (less energy per liter than fresh summer gas). In S. Calif we drive the cars year round and I definitely notice a difference between the summer and winter blends. You also indicate a canned tune. If so do you have access to the A/F ratio and timing in the tuner? If so try leaning it out about 2% and backing the low RPM timing off about 2 degrees. If it gets worse then try the opposite direction, 2% richer, and see where you’re at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I've gone through quite a few tanks at this point. The change in sound is remarkable compared to how I got it from the first owner. You could feel the vibration from the exhaust in your seat. Now, not so much. I'll have to check these settings you mention when I get home later. Very good information to look into. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
same problem

hey, i'm having the same problem. i had my alternator replaced and they disconnected my battery. as soon as i got it back i noticed a difference in sound and idle swings every time i come to a stop! i was told my car is having to re-learn??? its been two days now. i'm driving it as much as i can after work, hoping it clears up......

Adrian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew I wasn't going crazy. Thanks for the post Adrian. What I do know is that the loaded tune stays constant regardless of loss of power but fuel trim/idle calibration is most definitely affected. My car was crazy loud when I first got it, windows up stereo blasting didn't make a difference, the drone of the exhaust overwhelmed the cabin. Let me know if after a few days you notice any changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts