Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm ready to start shopping for some long tube headers for my 07 GT. I've read and heard mostly good things about the Kook's LT's with the only downside being the price. On the other hand I like the look and sound of the MAC's and they're half or even a third the price of Kook's but I've read the fit isn't as good. Do any of you have experiences with either you'd share?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I don't doubt that MAC makes some decent stuff, but their QC has left something to be desired. I bought one of their Pro Chambers awhile back, it looked like it was welded without the aid of a jig, and it didn't fit right (the connection at the passenger side manifold leaked despite looking like it was on correctly.

Couple things to keep in mind:

MAC are carbon steel (either chrome or ceramic), Kooks are stainless.

MAC's have 1 3/4" primaries, Kook's standard are 1 5/8" (although they have 1 3/4" available).

Also MAC's have those weird individual flanges which I've heard can be kind of a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ghunt. Thats disappointing because since one of my reasons to consider the MAC's was the Prochamber. The Kook's would undoubtedly last longer being stainless and all and I suppose I could have a shop put any H or other midpipe I wanted but for the sake of ease, I could get the catted X-pipe that fit the Kook's and it would all be a bolt on. I'm just unsure of using an X-pipe as I've heard alot of folks are disappointed by the raspy sounds an X produces.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Well, the shorty prochamber might fit better behind the headers. The one made to bolt up to the factory manifolds has this extra bend in the passenger side downpipe (right past the flange) that doesn't seem necessary, and makes it a lot harder to line up.

I ran the pro chamber on my car for a short while but I just didn't care for it. It was quiet at idle, overall sounded similar to the H pipe but was way more expensive and much quieter overall, and seemed to have a lot of low RPM drone.

I'm with you on the X pipe thing though...I've run both and I really prefer the H pipe sound. In fact I selected the JBA's when I got headers because they were affordable and had an available H pipe.

·
Registered
478 Posts
FYI, MAC sells an "adapter" that you can use to run someone else's midpipe with their headers. I think it is around $100 from them.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Well, it's not an "adapter" necessarily...they will just sell you the flanged connector pipes that they normally supply to connect the pro chamber to the headers.

But I'm curious if all shorty midpipes are generally the same width or not? As in how much finagling would you have to do to make someone else's work.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's a good question, I hadn't thought about that. There could potentially be a significant difference in width of where the collectors end up.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Even a small difference can cause plenty of headaches.

Although with a midlength design you have a little more room in there to allow fitment...longtubes don't leave much room for error since the midpipe is less than 2 feet long.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you like Kooks and Mac, check out Pypes. Same design as Kooks. Less expensive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If you like Kooks and Mac, check out Pypes. Same design as Kooks. Less expensive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
And made in China...ripped off design. Sorry, I know some people like Pypes but I don't like giving money to companies that steal other people's R&D and just copy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a buddy of mine that works in a local shop and he told me this when i asked him the same question: since the macs are 4 seperate instead of just one long-connectex piece, he's seen leaking problems with this. Not to mention the quality of the material too, theres a reason kooks is that expensive :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
714 Posts
Know what you're buying....there's true long tubes, then theres mid-length tubes like Mac and Kooks. I had a set of macs once and the quality was not very good. Using ARH now; pricey, but good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts