Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I'm comming home from just having the engine oil/filter changed & I get within blocks of my garage when in the midst of accelerating, my rpm's sky rocket, the limiter goes nuts & I barely coast to the turning lane...tranny's dead! No Rvrse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, D...nada!

This car still doesn't have 15k on it...? It's at the dealer waiting on their deduction & my tuner tells me a "built" tranny will cost about $3500 + another $800 for a TC but will handle a good 8oohp no doubt whereas I'm a pinch over 500hp on the stock tranny.

I could really use some tips on which tranny to go w/for that $$$ as I'm only at the 500hp mark now but am anticipating/considering pushing it to shy of 700hp in near future? I really hope to get some ideas here as the dealer is gonna give me some kinda story tomorrow morning once they tear into it & I'd hate to spend thousands to fix a stocker when a hi-perf tranny would cost similar potentially... :?:
Thanks in advance anyone/everyone

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A built transmission will cost close to what they will charge you for a totally stock one at a dealer. You're better off getting it built now.

This is what happens when you make a lot of power. You gotta pay if you wanna play.

Good luck :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
No use getting a built 5R55S unless it comes with the hardened M300 steel input shaft, otherwise the stock 10 spline input will still shred, especially when you punch it at high horsepower and it downshifts from 5-3 or 5-2. Both PA and TCI make these, maybe others, and they're as far as a 5R55 can take you before needing to step up to a 4R70. My TCI was about $3800.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, Trannys are new to me but now I have to learn & pay. I just got back from the dealer where I learned this car is still covered under FORD...don't even need to get into the secondary warranty I purchased when I bought the car (second hand) A good racing buddy of mine told me this morning as long as Ford is gonna pay to replace/repair the stocker I should get it home afterward & before I put 10 more miles on it, get it to a shop to have it pulled & use it as a core to something built & try to save money that way. Amazingly the service tech at my local dealer said it doesn't matter theres a blower or that the trans pan was drilled to install & thermo switch to operate the cooler or anything else I've done & he pointed to a set of rear end gears they're installing today on someones 'Stang so they're into performance there :bigthumbsup
Thanks you again for the advice & info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts