Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wavey
Hello all. I have a 2007 Roush Stage 3 with 32k pampered miles, and there is a loud grinding noise coming from the 5-Speed manual transmission that only occurs in neutral while at idle. It gets worse as the transmission comes up to operating temperature, and worse still when running the AC. The noise goes away if I give it some gas to push the rpm above about 1500 rpm, or if I depress the clutch pedal. All other aspects of the transmission are good with shifting etc. It’s very embarrassing at the drive-through with all that grinding coming from such a beautiful car, and I usually just try to keep the clutch to the floor for the duration of the visit (or until my leg finally gives out). I thought I read something about adjustment and preloading the throw-out bearing, but now I can't find it. I'm taking it in to the dealer this week, so I'm trying to educate myself ahead of time in order to push for a warranty repair - any advice is greatly appreciated:worship

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sounds like your throwout bearing/ slave cyl .

·
Registered
512 Posts
+1 ---throwout bearing. If it is the throwout bearing, it may be a good time to replace the clutch it if it needs it or if you plan on upgrading.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent advice - thank you for taking the time to reply.

I just dropped it off at the dealer. I found this TSB and asked that it be applied while they're at it.

I'll definately post on the outcome!

Attachments

F

·
0 Posts
:wavey
Hello all. I have a 2007 Roush Stage 3 with 32k pampered miles, and there is a loud grinding noise coming from the 5-Speed manual transmission that only occurs in neutral while at idle. It gets worse as the transmission comes up to operating temperature, and worse still when running the AC.
Excellent advice - thank you for taking the time to reply.
I just dropped it off at the dealer. I found this TSB and asked that it be applied while they're at it.
Good to know. Let me know if you need any assistance, Dark Router.

Deysha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I said in my original post that: "All other aspects of the transmission are good with shifting etc." - But I should point out that there is indeed a kind of a clash feel of gear alignment when using a delicate touch on the shifter. My wife feels it more than I do, but it's definitely there.

:kooky:BIG Shout out to Deysha!
Thanks for your note of support... (color me impressed)

I did hear from my service adviser today. He told me that his transmission guy said the grinding sound was normal and was probably due to the Roush shifter and its boot. :nono:

I explained that the loud grinding sound was not normal. I told him about how it has gotten worse over the last nine months - and that the shifter came with the car from mile #1 - and that it was really drawing a lot of attention from folks - and that it was MOST profound when the transmission was up to temperature. They said that they will take another look.

They suggested that I come down to take a ride with them, which I may have to do in order to prove my case? Since it's pretty quiet when the gears are still cold, a nice 90 minute drive through Tampa traffic (with a stop at Wendys) ought to be enough for them to see what I'm talking about!
... more to come

F

·
0 Posts
:kooky:BIG Shout out to Deysha!
Thanks for your note of support... (color me impressed)
Thank you for the update and the shout out, Dark Router.:bigthumbsup Sometimes it's easier to duplicate a concern when the person experiencing it is in the driver's seat. My offer to help still stands, so keep me posted.:)

Deysha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yay! The Service advisor says that the noise and shifting issues have been recreated at the shop, and the repairs are needed.
However...Deysha, we need to talk -
I have now learned that the 4 year extended warranty which I purchased when I bought the car, has been running concurrently alongside of the 3 year factory warranty since 2007. I was told that the extended warranty ran out December 2011. My first thought is that I've been screwed, but then I considered that it just may be an honest mistake?
I'm going to reach out to you before I get too carried away.

F

·
0 Posts
Yay! The Service advisor says that the noise and shifting issues have been recreated at the shop, and the repairs are needed.
However...Deysha, we need to talk -
I have now learned that the 4 year extended warranty which I purchased when I bought the car, has been running concurrently alongside of the 3 year factory warranty since 2007. I was told that the extended warranty ran out December 2011. My first thought is that I've been screwed, but then I considered that it just may be an honest mistake?
I'm going to reach out to you before I get too carried away.
No problem, Dark Router. I'll keep an eye out for your PM.

Deysha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Deysha, I posted a PM with my contact information. I also called the 800 number shown on your profile and haven't heard back yet. Please let us know if you are working on a resolution?

Thanks!

F

·
0 Posts
It feels really good to have you on OUR side. I can't thank you enough, most impressive :bigthumbsup
Deysha, I posted a PM with my contact information. I also called the 800 number shown on your profile and haven't heard back yet. Please let us know if you are working on a resolution?
Thanks!
Thank you for your kind words!

I'm not sure if you received my response, Dark Router. I need more info from you.

Deysha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just sent you the info, but here are my notes (minus my personal data) for anyone following this thread:

History:
· We purchased the car, and the 5 year extended warranty on December 30th 2006
· The standard factory warranty was to be in effect for 3 years/36k miles beginning December 30th 2006, but we received a letter from Ford in February 2006 informing us that the factory power train warranty would be lengthened to 5/60k "as part of an announcement of major improvements to the new vehicle limited warranty feature for 2007 Ford and Mercury vehicles"

Current:
· Ford ESP customer service informed me that the 5/60k plan expired December 30th 2011
· Ford ESP customer service also informed me that the 5 year extended plan also expired on December 30th 2011 (the same exact day)

My Observations
· From 12/30/2006 to 12/30/2009 we had double warranty coverage on the entire vehicle
· From 12/30/2006 to 12/30/2011 we had full coverage on the vehicle, and double warranty coverage on the powertrain

My final thoughts:
It seems obvious to me that dual coverage (or double indemnity) for the first 3 years is a mistake, unless one wanted to submit a claim against both policies, resulting in a double payout/reimbursement. It is my very firm belief that the extended warranty should have had a start date of 12/30/2009, and an end date of 12/30/2014.

Thanks Deysha!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updating the status for anyone following the thread. I have exhausted all resources and am resigned to the fact that there is a lesson to be learned here, for anyone considering purchasing an extended warranty plan through Ford ESP. Here's where we stand:

1) I have been informed by Deysha as well as ESP administration that the extend warranty offered by Ford ESP is intended to run concurrently with the ford factory warranty.
2) The Roush Stage 3 is not elegable for coverage under the Ford ESP extended warranty
3) Ford ESP administration was critical of us waiting so long to bring this matter to their attention, suggesting we contact the dealer
4) Ford ESP administration denied our application for renewal for another 5 years, because it's a Roush Stage 3 model
5) Ford ESP administration refused to provide a written letter of rejection on the basis of it being a Roush Stage 3 model
6) Ford ESP administration informed us that if we had tried to make a claim under the extended warranty during the coverage period that it would have been denied on the basis of it being a Roush Stage 3, and therefore inelegable for extended warranty coverage
7) When we contacted Brandon Ford in Tampa FL where we bought the car, and we were informed by Brooksie H. that in the event that we had encountered problems prior to 12/2011, and were denied coverage under the extended warranty, that they would have made any necessary repairs regardless of the vehicles elegability under the extened warranty plan. There is nothing that they would do for us at this time.

We are sad, disappointed, angry, and ripped-off to the tune of a few grand that we spent on a useless extended warranty package. This just stinks of warranty fraud... that's right, I said it.

Warm Regards and best of luck to all,
Dark Router

·
Registered
465 Posts
The ESP warranty running concurrent with the standard warranty has been in effect as long as I can remember. It does seem crazy, but the dealer you bought it from should have explained it to you. I think most US manufacturers have a similar policy.

If your Roush Stage 3 was not covered by ESP, the dealer should have explained that to you. However, that does not make much sense to me if it was sold by a Ford dealer.

Based on the Magnuson-Moss act, Ford cannot deny coverage on a particular item unless the failure is proven to be related to the modification you made, or is due to a non-Ford part you used. For example, they can't deny coverage on your engine because you used non-Ford oil, unless they can prove the oil caused the engine damage.

Bruce

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If there are any attorney’s out there that are licensed to practice in the state of Florida / Florida Bar and you would like to represent my interests in this matter, please PM me so we may discuss my options. Thanks! :winks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I feel obligated to tell everyone what happened when I picked up the car from the dealer after deciding not to have them do the work. When I arrived home and pulled it into the garage, I noticed a loud growling from the engine. I popped the hood and traced the noise to the supercharger. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out what would have changed that would cause the noise to suddenly appear.

I wondered if the air filter may be in need of cleaning and possibly causing the flaps in the throttle body to be open more than usual, so I proceeded to remove the air filter to give it a gentle rinse. That’s when a few curly metal shaving fell out of the intake tube!

I went inside the house to sit down and think about it, when I decided to check to see if the debris is magnetic - and it is. INSERT TEARS HERE.

I have let the car sit in my garage all this week while I try to think it through. I've been going to this dealer for all my regular maintenance for a while now and am friendly with the Service Advisor. It’s very difficult for me to come to terms with the fact that my car was vandalized while under their control. I have not yet contacted the Ford dealer about what happened and I’m expecting that they will put up quite an argument. I seriously don’t trust them now and I'm not sure I want them touching my car in fear that they will try to do some sort of cover-up or possibly do even more damage.

When I started this thread, I had no idea it was going to turn out like this...It’s a very sad day indeed. Please, if anyone reading this has any advice at all...

·
Registered
63 Posts
The only thing I can tell you, in my humble experience with ANY dealership or garage in general, is ALWAYS watch the mechanic, be in their hair if you have to.
The good mechanics never care if someone is around them to watch, it`s the guys who site, insurance reasons, or safety concerns you have to watch for.
I make damn sure to be around any mechanic working on my car, just in case of such a thing happening. I caught a mechanic trying to tell a buyer for my car that it was in perfect shape, but to tell me it had problems to get it cheap!:nono:

If you really think they sabotaged your baby;

step #1 talk to the service manager ( if this goes well, perfect ) in case it doesn't

step #2 find a large sign stating what you feel has gone wrong and park yourself in front of their dealership and make sure EVERYONE going in and out knows what you went through. ( I've personally done the latter at 2 large department stores here in Montreal, both times it got me what I was ENTITLED to, reimbursment or exchange of equal or higher value )

I hope whatever they did is not terminal, and that you get what you paid for, and if they did the unthinkable, they get what they deserve!:myangel
Usually the big man upstairs has a way of taking care of good people and bad, it just takes time.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what repairs did the shop recommend for your car? I'm experiencing something similar with a grind that goes away after 1500rpm, and I don't want to run until something big happens. In case the shop didn't tamper with your car, then mine might have the same repairs needed to avoid a major failure happening in the future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts