Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased an '07 GT 5 speed with 26K. Driven it less than 400 miles and love it. However, It has developed a banging noise from the rear end that is getting worse. Sounds like a universal or rear end issue. It's most noticeable on a 1st to 2nd shift. I'm afraid to drive it hard because it sounds like something is coming apart back there. It's under warranty, but before I haul it back to the dealer I was wondering if anyone can tell me what might be wrong or what to expect?

It did not do this during the test drives or for the first week I drove it. the only way I can keep it from happening is to wind 1st out more than necessary and do a really soft shift into 2nd. Do they all do this?

Forgive me if I'm repeating a thread but I'm new to this site.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Is it during gear changes or does it do it while cruising down the street at a constant speed/rpm?

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Any modifications to the exhaust?
That's kind of what I was thinking. But with those stupid engine mounts I'll bet the exhaust can move enough to tap things even with the stock exhaust:hihi:

When I had the stock engine mounts and Spec III+ trying to engaging the clutch "softly" from a stop, in reverse, etc would have the motor mounts/exhaust chattering all over the place. It sounded like the back of the car was going to fall off.:happyhapp:D

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
It does it during gear release/engagement and sometime when pulling the shifter into second.
Its most likely the tailpipe(s) banging off of something because the motor moves so much when torque is applied. The motor mounts are these crazy junk liquid filled pieces of crap. And you may even have a "bad" one which would make it even worse.

You could probably have them replaced under warranty but you would just be getting another set of crap mounts. Or you could get yourself some Prothane billet aluminum and urithane(s) mounts which just about eliminates all engine movement. The Prothane mounts are easy to swap out and not nearly as "harsh" feeling as you would think they would be. You will feel the engine more through the chassis with them but I find them more "sporty" than anoying. Swapping the stock mounts for Prothanes is like going from stock all season tires to some more agressive low profile "sumer" ones.

I think the Prothanes are one of the best mods I have done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its most likely the tailpipe(s) banging off of something because the motor moves so much when torque is applied. The motor mounts are these crazy junk liquid filled pieces of crap. And you may even have a "bad" one which would make it even worse.

You could probably have them replaced under warranty but you would just be getting another set of crap mounts. Or you could get yourself some Prothane billet aluminum and urithane(s) mounts which just about eliminates all engine movement. The Prothane mounts are easy to swap out and not nearly as "harsh" feeling as you would think they would be. You will feel the engine more through the chassis with them but I find them more "sporty" than anoying. Swapping the stock mounts for Prothanes is like going from stock all season tires to some more agressive low profile "sumer" ones.

I think the Prothanes are one of the best mods I have done.
I have the same problem with my 06 GT, it only happens in low gears and when you depress and release the clutch? I am thinking that it is a gear or clutch cable issue, can anyone else shed some light on this problem?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I have the same problem with my 06 GT, it only happens in low gears and when you depress and release the clutch? I am thinking that it is a gear or clutch cable issue, can anyone else shed some light on this problem?
Well it's not a cable since the clutch is hydraulic. How many miles on the clutch?

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Even if the car did have a clutch cable your post makes no sense. How could a clutch cable, or even a clutch cause a rattle at the rear of the car?:headscratch:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess it could be tailpipes/exhaust. I'll get under the car and take a look if the dealer says they can't resolve it. Thanks to all that helped.;)

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
I guess it could be tailpipes/exhaust. I'll get under the car and take a look if the dealer says they can't resolve it. Thanks to all that helped.;)
I think you may just want to just take it to your dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it's used the previous owner might have had an aftermarket exhaust which was brought back to stock before trading-in. Maybe they didn't tighten the stock system well enough and now things are getting loose, shifting and rattling.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Check the position of the overaxle pipes. Sometimes they are installed with too little clearance between either the panhard brace, differential housing or the spare tire well. Best to put the car up on a lift (with suspension loaded) and check. To adjust all you need to do is loosen the clamps where the overaxle pipes meet the H pipe and rotate slightly until you get the clearance you need. Should be at least 1/2" from everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.