Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and really wanted to ask you guys a question. I have read on the internet that some people have issues reguarding a lopey cam with a pungent exhaust smell. Is this true? I really want the FRPP Hot Rod Cams BUT if they make my car smell from the inside or out like gas they are a complete NO GO. Thank you in advance for helping me as I can't seem to nail down an answer :D

·
Banned
822 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and really wanted to ask you guys a question. I have read on the internet that some people have issues reguarding a lopey cam with a pungent exhaust smell. Is this true? I really want the FRPP Hot Rod Cams BUT if they make my car smell from the inside or out like gas they are a complete NO GO. Thank you in advance for helping me as I can't seem to nail down an answer :D
Just an educated guess, but I'd bet that hotter cams will give you a nasty exhaust smell, at least at idle. There are reasons the factory doesn't put hot cams in production performance cars; they pollute more, and use more fuel. I'm sure fresh cats will clean up most of the extra hydrocarbons (from unburned fuel) the cams make the engine spit out, but you'll probably smell some of it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You may want to look at the Detroit Rocker cams at Brenspeed. I hear they are better than the FRPP cams as far as hp gains. They are also supposed to run pretty good at idle. I have the Detroit Rockers but have not installed yet. Hope it works out

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies guys :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
680 Posts
When I got my cam done in my GTO the smell increased very little since I still ran cats. Once the cats came off the car smelled like a race track and I LOVED it. Can't wait to do it again with the 5.0.

Girlfriend hated it but you only really smelled it when you were at a light with the windows down or on start up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts