Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 07 GT/CS with a stock clutch and 22k miles. It's got a pretty bad chatter when feathering the clutch off of idle in first gear. I first noticed signs of this when the car had about 10k miles on it. It feels like the chatter you'd get out a 6 puck racing clutch, except adding more rpms doesn't make it go away like in a pucked clutch.

I've had it to the track about 3 times(10 track runs total), and it's had maybe a handfull of hard street starts. It usually gets babied when I drive it. It also runs just fine when I get it out of first gear, and there is no clutch slippage that I can detect.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or am I alone in the chatter boat?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you bother bringing that to the dealer's attention?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like the cushion springs in the clutch disk are shot.

It does, But after 10k miles? That's insane. The springs would have to be made of pot metal to wear that fast.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
FWIW
I had an '88 Mazda 626 with a clutch that started chattering at 20K miles in 1st gear only. Contacted the dealer about it, who in turn contacted the regional Mazda rep. He recommended that I have the clutch replaced, and save the parts for his inspection. It turned out that the chattering was caused by the pressure plate not being perfectly flush with the flywheel face. Mazda determined the clutch was defective and reimbursed me for cost of the new clutch parts(half of the total repair cost). I initially wanted reimbursement for the entire repair cost, but ended up looking at my glass as being half full when I realized they could have easily said the clutch was worn out from me abusing it, and given me squat. BTW, the replacement clutch lasted for the next 110K miles.
I realize that the S197 is a far different animal than my Mazda, and that Ford can flatly refuse to offer any help with your clutch problem by simply saying "Your Mustang has 300 hp, and you abused the clutch." But it's worth a try, IMHO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
does this chatter sound like a clanking noise underneath the car almost like a cowbell? because i have a sound like that

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
It does, But after 10k miles? That's insane. The springs would have to be made of pot metal to wear that fast.
It all depends on how its driven. If someone likes to do burnouts then it will go sooner then some one just driving it. You have a lot more stress on the clutch at the track because the track is preped for traction.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FWIW
I had an '88 Mazda 626 with a clutch that started chattering at 20K miles in 1st gear only. Contacted the dealer about it, who in turn contacted the regional Mazda rep. He recommended that I have the clutch replaced, and save the parts for his inspection. It turned out that the chattering was caused by the pressure plate not being perfectly flush with the flywheel face. Mazda determined the clutch was defective and reimbursed me for cost of the new clutch parts(half of the total repair cost). I initially wanted reimbursement for the entire repair cost, but ended up looking at my glass as being half full when I realized they could have easily said the clutch was worn out from me abusing it, and given me squat. BTW, the replacement clutch lasted for the next 110K miles.
I realize that the S197 is a far different animal than my Mazda, and that Ford can flatly refuse to offer any help with your clutch problem by simply saying "Your Mustang has 300 hp, and you abused the clutch." But it's worth a try, IMHO.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind when I go nag at my dealer about it. But I'm sure I'll end up having to soak up the costs for this repair regaurdless. :so

·
Registered
1 Posts
does this chatter sound like a clanking noise underneath the car almost like a cowbell? because i have a sound like that
I know what you mean by cowbell sound, mine does it as well. I think it is casued by the exhaust at certain rpms. Mine is an 06 and Iv'e noticed it since 2007; it still does it today.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My car did the exact same thing around 35,000 miles. It was still doing it at 43,000 miles when I traded it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mine did that since day one. You know what fixed it? Ditching the stock motor mounts and installing the prothanes. No more chatter.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
my clutch does the same chatter sound. i know it is the clutch because when I push in the clutch pedal, it goes away.

original clutch with 47,000 miles on it. when it finally goes, I am going with a stage 2.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mine does it also, but I think mine has to do with the cams. Mine was from the day one. Both of my Stallions had the same clutch chatter with the cams. If I raise the rpm to around 850, no chatter. One of the cars was with the stock clutch, the current has the McCleod RST Twin Disk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.