Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooo im away from my car right now and my brother in law is driving it for the summer. he owns a couple gas stations in las vegas and through the grape vine i heard that as a birthday gift, he's gonna convert my car into an e85 running pony. now, i dont know anything about e85 conversion but i do know that its slower burning and a lot cheaper than 91 octane. should i be concerened about anything??? or should i be happy to go green(so to speak)?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have been running E85 for a year. in fact...I'm running nitrous with it as well. You should notice a nice increase in power as well. I had Justin Starkey at vmp tuning write my tunes. If you have any questions on what you will need to do to run send me a message.

soooo im away from my car right now and my brother in law is driving it for the summer. he owns a couple gas stations in las vegas and through the grape vine i heard that as a birthday gift, he's gonna convert my car into an e85 running pony. now, i dont know anything about e85 conversion but i do know that its slower burning and a lot cheaper than 91 octane. should i be concerened about anything??? or should i be happy to go green(so to speak)?

·
Registered
910 Posts
You will burn more of that hog feed gas for a given amount of power. You will see a reduction in MPG and Miles to empty which will offset the cheaper price. Also the Government collects tax on a per gallon basis. Does any one else see a conflict of interest in approving fuels which increase the MPG of cars rather than decrease it?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well given that I only loss about 2 mpg in combined city/traffic I don't think of that as a drastic decrease. I still get over 300 miles on a tank. That is better than most guys here running on gasoline.

:)

You will burn more of that hog feed gas for a given amount of power. You will see a reduction in MPG and Miles to empty which will offset the cheaper price. Also the Government collects tax on a per gallon basis. Does any one else see a conflict of interest in approving fuels which increase the MPG of cars rather than decrease it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it wont really affect me too much on mpg.my total weekly commute is roughly 24 miles. but my question lies in the fact that my engine is not a regular 3V like most of the GT's. i've got an old 99 4V with all the fixins and stuff. but i dont think my brother in law has factored in that fact yet. im more curious to find out if i'll be having any kind of issues running e85 on a 10 year old motor with 10 year old outdated engine internals.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Send Justin Starkey an e-mail, he's should be able to answer your questions.

[email protected]

it wont really affect me too much on mpg.my total weekly commute is roughly 24 miles. but my question lies in the fact that my engine is not a regular 3V like most of the GT's. i've got an old 99 4V with all the fixins and stuff. but i dont think my brother in law has factored in that fact yet. im more curious to find out if i'll be having any kind of issues running e85 on a 10 year old motor with 10 year old outdated engine internals.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My gas cap has a red slash circle with E85 written on it. What about the stories of E85 damaging the rubber and seals in the fuel system?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Our fuel systems can handle ethanol. Our fuel systems are stainless steel. The injectors and pump are also e85 compatible. When the gov began to enforce ethanol in gasoline, the manufacturers made the fuel systems resistant to ethanol.

When Justin loads, the tune, he tells the PCM how much ethanol is in the fuel. The PCM makes the adjustments (up to a certain value) to compensate for the variances in the ethanol content. This is why our cars are so easy to "convert" over.

There are more and more s197's converted over. Check out www.e85mustangs.com

My gas cap has a red slash circle with E85 written on it. What about the stories of E85 damaging the rubber and seals in the fuel system?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.