Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 months when I run the heater for an extended period of time, I begin to get a burning wires smell in my car. I finally noticed 2 weeks ago a tiny stream of smoke coming from behind my climate controls. I have taken the center dash apart and I cannot pinpoint this problem. Has anybody else had this issue before? I can fix it myself, just need to know what to look for.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not meaning to sound cynical but, did you try turning the car/accessories on and look for where the smoke is coming from? That answer sounds like a bad idea but, sometimes when all else fails that is the way to go.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The fan speed in most cars is controlled by a resistor coil that gets hot inside the airbox of the heater. It is usually bypassed if the fan is on high. Often, some creature will get in the heater box and build a nest, or you may have some dirt or dust in there that is getting hot when the fan is on lower settings. I've even had a fire start in the heater (not in a Mustang), with smoke coming from the vents that scared the $%^$& out of me! I closed up everything and shut the fan off and got home OK, opened up the heater at the access panel for servicing the speed-control resistor, and found a big mouse nest made from all sorts of flammable fluff. Try looking there.

=Vic=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts