Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just un burried my mustang from the garage for the summer. I need to change the oil. I was going to run royal purple oil, but a friend that works and sells royal purple at a carquest store said I cant run royal purple in my stang. I called a local hi- performance shop(Jancen) and he says I can, and he runs it in all his vehicles. Anyone running royal purple?? Now onto fuel. I recently have been working on a pit crew for a race team. They are required to buy atleast 5 gal. of fuel from the track everyweek. We have found that the car runs better on different fuel, so the owner of the car just buys 5 gallons of 98 octane everyweek to make the track happy. I could get the fuel for free, would it hurt to dump 5 gallons of 98 into the tank on fill up??? I always run atleast 93 octane anyways. Last question is about a x-pipe. The wife got me a off road x pipe. I know the check engine light will come on when its installed, but will the car run ok? or run like crap?? I want to eventually buy a programmer and cai kit, but dont have the cash right now. So for now if it doesn't hurt the car can I install the off road x?? Any info would be gret. Thanks!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AnyBody got any input?? I want to grab the oil change goodies tomorrow and do all the work friday. Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not sure about the oil, or the fuel. You might need a tune for your air flow to adjust to a higher octane..

As far as the o/r x, I don't think a tune is needed as far as making the car run right, I think it mainly turns off the back o2's so the ce light doesn't come on..

Hopefully a few guys with a little more knowledge will chime in

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
There's no reason not to run Royal Purple or any other good synthetic. Just stick with the manufacturer's recommended vis-grade (5W-20) and you'll be fine.

As far as the fuel, the most common 98 octane race gas I know of is Sunoco, exact same stuff used in NASCAR. It's lead and ethanol free and perfectly safe to use in your car, no tune or anything additional necessary. At least, I wouldn't change the tune in case there's a chance you might not be able to put the 5 gallons of the 98 in a tank or two :bigthumbsup

Edit: oh yeah: if you put in the off-road x-pipe without turning off the O2 sensors and drive around with the check engine light on because of that, how are you going to know when the check engine light comes on for another reason? A: You won't.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why are you running 93 octane if you don't have a tuner/programmer? Your car is tuned from Ford for 87 octane. If you don't retune it for 93, you are wasting money and fuel. Your car is going to be running slower as you are not burning all the fuel in the cylinder. Using a higher octane that what your car is tuned for is just a waste. If it was tuned for 93, you could put 5 gal of 98 and then five gal of 87 to make about 93.

As for the Off road X-pipe, it will replace your cats, Just don't get caught by your DMV. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been getting kinda mixed reviews on fuel. ALOT of people are saying to just run the 87 octane, but my dad, and grandfather say they would run higher. I guess I'll just run 87 til I get the programmer and cai setup.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The stock tune / computer can adjust for differences in octane. You will see better performance with 93 octane, aftermarket tune or not.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
The stock tune / computer can adjust for differences in octane. You will see better performance with 93 octane, aftermarket tune or not.
I thought that was on the 2010 and later cars?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes the car is tuned from Ford to run 87 but it doesn't hurt to run 93 which is a cleaner gas through your engine. It will run better with the cleaner gas tune or not.

·
Registered
465 Posts
More recent Mustangs can use the knock sensor to let the computer adjust for octane. However, as someone else mentioned I think that only started in 2008 when they began using a factory CAI to boost the horsepower (to 320?) on certain engines.

High octane gas is not any "cleaner" than 87 octane. It works better with high compression because it burns slower, but that does not help a standard tuned engine run any better. On a 2007 Mustang tuned for 87 octane, using 93 octane just costs more money - it will not help performance or have any benefits for the engine.

Bruce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts