Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil with Royal Purple and a Ford Motorcraft oil filter and it leaks from between the gasket and the block. I lubed the gasket prior to install and hand tightened. Started the engine and let idle for a minute with no leaks. Took it for a test drive, came back and checked and its leaking a little. I tryed to hand tightened it again but its on there, wont move, so now what? I ran the engine again at idle, checked, no leak. Reved the motor for a minute, checked, no leak. Went to the store, came back and checked, Its leaking again? What is going on?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Did you check to ensure the O ring from the old filter isn't still stuck on there? I've had several come off and if your not careful, you can end up screwing the on the new one on top of the old ring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check to ensure the O ring from the old filter isn't still stuck on there? I've had several come off and if your not careful, you can end up screwing the on the new one on top of the old ring.
Yeah, it did stick but I caught it. I dont know why its leaking at all.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I changed the oil in my truck today, too. Did you apply a thin coat of grease on the rubber gasket? A dry gasket can leak.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a fram filter for it to. I used the motorcraft because of the internal valve thats traps oil in the filter so at startup, oil gets delivered faster. maybe I should swap it and see what happens?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I have a fram filter for it to. I used the motorcraft because of the internal valve thats traps oil in the filter so at startup, oil gets delivered faster. maybe I should swap it and see what happens?
Pull it off and inspect it first. It could be defective.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Pull off the filter and inspect the seal and the seal surface on the block. If everything looks fine, there could be a slight leak where the case is crimped to the flange.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull it off and inspect it first. It could be defective.
True. ok. I'm going to loose some oil checking it and you know what I hate, Ford oil dipsticks are so hard to read. Everytime you go and pull the dipstick out, it catches all the residual oil and smears it up the dipstick making it hard to tell the true oil level. I was thinking, and I know this is a no-no but, should I use the filter wrench to tighten it about a 1/4?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
True. ok. I'm going to loose some oil checking it and you know what I hate, Ford oil dipsticks are so hard to read. Everytime you go and pull the dipstick out, it catches all the residual oil and smears it up the dipstick making it hard to tell the true oil level. I was thinking, and I know this is a no-no but, should I use the filter wrench to tighten it about a 1/4?
I wouldn't tighten it more. It shouldn't leak at hand tight.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Check the sealing surface on the block. Since the old gasket was stuck, there may be a chunk of old gasket left behind. I run my finger over the sealing surface to check for that when I change.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I didnt get to check everything out last night, so I waited till now to look things over. I checked the oil level(good), and I took the car for a test drive like I did yesterday before discovering the leak. When I came back, I checked underneath and no signs of a leak from the filter. ugh! Is it possible that the gasket finally seated itself against the motor and seal itself?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
its hard to say. as long as its not leaking thats what counts. When you check for leaks you don't need to drive it, just start it up because if its going to leak it will at idle and sitting there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe it fixed itself, maybe. Could the leak be from a little spillage that collected and was slowly draining off?
2 things, could have been spillage that is starting to drain off, probably at the top of the filter(which I cant see unfortunately) however I did run my finger along the top of the filter and it did feel like there was a "shelf" at the top of the filter when screwed on as it passes the mount.

Initially, after I poured in the oil, I did start the motor to check for leaks and none produced. it wasnt until after I drove the car for a test drive that I checked again and you can noticeably see it running down the side of the filter. I then tryed to tighten it again by hand and started the motor and left it idleing--no leak. test drive again, it leaked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.