Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I totaled out my 2006 Mustang GT.. got rear ended to top off a long day.. and I just bought a stock 2007 Mustang GT with a little change to spare. I'm looking into a Vortech V3 or Paxton Novi 2200 system (both intercooled) and can't decide. I'm still open to nonintercooled with good reason.

I've heard Paxton and Vortech are practically the same company and their quality can't be beat. The only difference I can find is that the Vortech comes with an air to water intercooler and the Paxton has an air to air intercooler. I've been told that the Vortech blower is capable of more power but the Paxton intercooler is capable of supporting about 300 more horsepower. Is there any truth to this?

I'm looking at using an intercooler system to throw down around 470rwhp until the motor blows. At that point, Brenspeed B302 or Livernois 298 with ported heads, Kooks LTs, and Detroit Rocker cams.. but for now, I'm looking for the best, most reliable package until I'm finished with medical school.

Also, this is a daily driver. Did it adversely affect drivability or gas mileage? I've heard centrifugals stay very comparable to stock as long as you can keep your foot out of it.

·
Super Moderator
40,048 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I moved your thread for a better response.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed it was in the wrong place right after I posted it and was just going to wait instead of double posting. Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I assume you're looking at the V3 in the Si trim correct? The Paxton Novi 2200 is actually a larger head unit than the Vortech.

If you are looking at lower hp levels, the Vortech will be operating closer to it's peak efficiency level, therefore, should be more responsive. However, if you are looking to have a 1000hp someday, might as well start with the Novi.

I daily drive this car. The centri's are very enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DylanJ82, yes, and that's what I've heard. I want to get up into the 600s at the rear wheels years from now after forged internals, but for now, high 400s at the rear wheels is more than enough. I've been thinking Paxton NOVI 2200 with LTs but everybody that has a Vortech loves them. I've heard the NOVI with LTs will put me at about all a stock 4.6 3v will safely handle (about 500rwhp) and be a blast to drive without the hassles of a drag-like setup (bucking, throttle response, starting, low rpm drivability,...). I just can't decide between the V3 and NOVI, both SL.

Did you have yours dyno tuned or just stick with the mail tune from wherever you bought the Vortech i.e. Brenspeed, Vortech,..?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I love my Vortech, but I've never driven a Novi car, so I can't make a fair comparison.

I ordered mine as a tuner kit from Beefcake Racing (additional upgrades are in my sig). I never received an out of the box tune. It is currently street tuned by John Lund. They give you a base file to start the car, then you data log the parameters they tell you using the SCT tuner and your lap top. You then email the file back, they give you a new one to load, etc. You go back and forth until the car is tuned to your/their preference. It works VERY WELL and gives a real world, real driving setup.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks DylanJ82. I contacted Brenspeed and they sold me on the Paxton. The Paxton's head unit is a little bit bigger and can support around 600rwhp. A set of long tubes, cams, and the Paxton NOVI 2200 will put me around 520hp at the rear wheels (ripping a new ZL1 or Z28 Camaro a new one) and not require forged internals for a while. Then when I go forged, I can just change a pulley, and get it up to around 600rwhp. They'll never see me coming...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can't go wrong with either. My car is making in the 600-615rwhp mark right now. The Vortech V3 can support up to 800 (engine)....the Novi over 1,000.

My plans are to pull the short block over the winter. Boss 302 crank, rods and pistons. Then I will re-pulley my Vortech and hopefully end up at the 750rwhp mark. More than that would just be crazy :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't go wrong with either. My car is making in the 600-615rwhp mark right now. The Vortech V3 can support up to 800 (engine)....the Novi over 1,000.

My plans are to pull the short block over the winter. Boss 302 crank, rods and pistons. Then I will re-pulley my Vortech and hopefully end up at the 750rwhp mark. More than that would just be crazy :)
Brenspeed said that the Vortech V3 and NOVI SL systems are limited by the oil pump system. The only way to see the 750/1000 peak is with a V2 system tied into the engine oil. Brent said the Paxton has a little bit larger head unit and maxes out safely at a little over the 600rwhp mark, but I'm not going to invest any more than I have to until I finish medical school. I'm in debt enough as it is. Lol. 5-10 years from now, this 07 GT will be a monster no one will see coming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts