Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for anyone who has installed the Saleen Supercharger 475hp kit. Any problems? Is this too much for the stock engine? I have a convertible 07 GT, anything else I should add when I put the SC on?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I do not know but what I have heard is that the 4.6 block is the strongest ford has made and it should not be a problem. But please get other opinions don't just go by mine!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
check out the packages Brenspeed.com offers. With that blower you will be fine unless you get alot of upgrades with it. I have always heard you shouldnt go over 450rwhp with stock internals or you are pushing the fringes of safety for the stock short block. 475 flywheel hp is roughly 404rwhp for a 5spd and 390rwhp for an auto. that is just a guesstimate though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got that set up on my 06 GT, and have been getting P0171 codes (engine too lean) ever since. Saleen swears that their tune is correct (they re-did it three times), but my A/F ratio is about 14.0.

The shop I went to (Apex Motorsports in Santa Clara) wasn't able to figure out why I keep getting that code, and basically just gave up. I hear that I'm the only person getting this result from this install (go fig - it always happens to you right?), so hopefully you won't have any problems.

Also, it dynoed at 390 hp and 393 lbs at the wheels. Best of luck.

Mike

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've got that set up on my 06 GT, and have been getting P0171 codes (engine too lean) ever since. Saleen swears that their tune is correct (they re-did it three times), but my A/F ratio is about 14.0.

The shop I went to (Apex Motorsports in Santa Clara) wasn't able to figure out why I keep getting that code, and basically just gave up. I hear that I'm the only person getting this result from this install (go fig - it always happens to you right?), so hopefully you won't have any problems.

Mike
Automatic tranny?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

Mike
14.0 A/F is a bit too lean. You need to be more like 13.0 to 12.5 to be safe on pump gas. Alot of tuners set their stuff up in the upper 11's to be safe.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Try calling JDM they know there way around Saleen s/cs better then Saleen does. No problem with the Saleen 475 kit on stock motor, I was 399 at the wheels with it. The JDM 475 kit will put you at 475 at the wheels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info everyone. Glad to hear that it works good. Working with Saleen has been a little bit of a chore. My plan is to pick up the SC from Brenspeed and have it installed locally. What did it run for install? I am getting quoted at $1200. Brenspeed does it for $695 but they are 3 hours from me. Bummer!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'd second JDM. I've heard they've never blown an engine on their saleen setups with their stage two(pretty sure they pump out close to that HP). And they've done a crapload of installs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Doesn't JDM have a deal that if you buy it from them and have them install it they put you in a motel for the night? Might be worth it to drive that 3 hours. Just a thought about something I read somewhere.

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Try calling JDM they know there way around Saleen s/cs better then Saleen does. No problem with the Saleen 475 kit on stock motor, I was 399 at the wheels with it. The JDM 475 kit will put you at 475 at the wheels.
That is all that Saleen does slaps the Supercharger on top a stock motor. You should have no problems at all. Good luck to you on that.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
JDM is the only company I would trust to tune a Saleen S/C for around 480-500rwhp just like for procharger I would only trust JPC and ST Motorsports for tuning those cars with that much power on a stock block.

I have learned its possible to run 500rwhp with a VERY good fuel system but it takes a very skilled tuner

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which JDM are we talking about? The one in New Jersey? I'm not familiar with them. Driving to Jersey from Illinois isn't an option for me. Too bad. I'm shocked that there are very few Saleen Certified shops in Chi-town. Someone should get on it. Maybe I'll quit my day job. If someone can post a link to JDM that would be great.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Try JDM Engineering. The tech e-mail is Jim Jr., the sales e-mail is Chris. Or just call, you will find the number on there web site. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make the drive to New Jersey and go with JDM Engineering. I research things to death and it is the one thing that I am glad I did. Lucky for me they are only about 1.5-2.0 hours away. I have not had one single problem since they installed mine and it dinoyed at 477 rwhp and 450 rwtd. They have such a great reputation and it was a pleasure doing business with them. They have done hundreds of installs and have never lost a motor. It is all in the tune! I have been to several car shows up and down the East coast and the Saleen guys can'g say enough good things about Jim and JimIII at JDM. And buy the way my car is crazy fast!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My car was at JDM last week for some dyno work. Bought the rwhp down to 515 net from 550. And was not concerned about the tune at all. Senior drove the car around town while he had it, just to make sure the injectors were smooth. I am on my second belt and second set of spark plugs, got about a year out of the plugs and about 15 months out of the belt. Can"t have everything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so JDM sounds like the place. Anyone used Brenspeed in Indiana? Seems like they should know what they are doing. I've heard good things about it. Does everyone on the East Coat have a SC on their Stang? Starting to get that impression! Ha!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
lol one more east coaster with a Saleen :)

I will get my car up to JDM this summer. would love to get close to 500whp!

tha Saleen tune sucks....mine was 371whp now with a JDM mail order its close to 430whp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.