Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my SLP loudmouth axlebacks! Sounds awesome - just what I was looking for, but sometimes it will bacfire if I rev it up. This only happens when the engines cold. Does anyone think this will cause problems. I didn't think I needed a tune with axle backs :headscratch:

·
Registered
343 Posts
my stock V6 does it with stock exaust... i know youre not sussposed to rev up a cold engine. the oil doesnt have time to heat up and and revving it hard will force the oil to circulate at a lower temp than it should... apparently this is bad for the engine. i dont believe this is your backfireing problem, but my car does the same thing when its revved up. idk what causes this exactly, but maye something with the temperture...

·
Registered
134 Posts
mine does that to. nothing to be concerned about. its perfectly normal on a cold start, particularly if its cold outside

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
yup everyones does it, it sounds bad ass lol

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
If you really get on it, and the temp gauge has not come up yet, you are still running rich and the fuel will ignite in your tailpipes. [BOOM]

Not good for anything. Take it easy until the temp gauge comes up off it's C.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Is it really backfiring or is it just the normal burbling sound you get on deceleration? There's a big difference.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I have scared numerous people this way. lots of fun :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
definitely normal...no worries, but as other's already stated, not too good to rev before it warms up a little. Enjoy those loudmouths

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you done anything else to the car? Sounds like you're getting too much fuel with insufficient oxygen and it's exploding in the exhaust.
I have the flowmaster axleback's and my car does the same thing when it is cold. It is loud too. sounds like a regular backfire, sometimes two right in a row. It happens right when I let off the throttle while revving the engine. The car just runs rich for a short time until it warms up and the computer goes into "closed loop". That means that the computer is now relying on the O2 sensor readings to control fuel/air mixture. Once this happens the engine runs much more efficiently and the rich condition is gone. That's what's goin on. Trust me, I am in the top two of my Auto Tech class. This is what I live for.:shiny:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Is it really backfiring or is it just the normal burbling sound you get on deceleration? There's a big difference.
Love the burbling!:scratchchin

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mine does that also. My friends GT literally sounds like a gunshot. Its so loud it scares the people who may be walking by in the parking lot. Definately normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.