Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the recommended procedure for removing the plugs? Warm the engine up first, or remove them with the engine cold? I went to change them out with the engine cold, and couldn't get the first one I tried to budge with moderate force applied to it. I don't want to snap one off. Those of you that have changed them, how hard were they to break loose?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
They are not difficult to remove. Just make sure you keep your wrench in line with the plug. I've probably had mine in and out 20 times without any problems.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Think I will run it for a while to get some heat in the engine and try again.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
They are not difficult to remove. Just make sure you keep your wrench in line with the plug. I've probably had mine in and out 20 times without any problems.
Same here... I always do when the engine is cool but not ice-cold.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the plugs changed

Well, I got them changed out. I ran the engine for about five minutes to get a little heat in the heads. I removed all the coils, and proceeded to break them loose. With the heads a little warm, it took half the effort to break them loose as opposed to when I tried to loosen them cold. I backed them off a half turn, them gave them a squirt of aerosol Seafoam, and let them soak for ten minutes. They came right out with hardly any effort needed. I replaced them with a set of Champions. Put some antiseize on the threads, and a little on the barrels, and torqued them to 25lbs. I'm relieved I didn't have any seized in the heads. I will post some pics of the old ones in my gallery.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Well, I got them changed out. I ran the engine for about five minutes to get a little heat in the heads. I removed all the coils, and proceeded to break them loose. With the heads a little warm, it took half the effort to break them loose as opposed to when I tried to loosen them cold. I backed them off a half turn, them gave them a squirt of aerosol Seafoam, and let them soak for ten minutes. They came right out with hardly any effort needed. I replaced them with a set of Champions. Put some antiseize on the threads, and a little on the barrels, and torqued them to 25lbs. I'm relieved I didn't have any seized in the heads. I will post some pics of the old ones in my gallery.
Just FYI... The torque specs call for 26 lb-ft. Not that 1 lb-ft is going to make a difference but I've had 4 plugs come loose on me.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know. Most torque wrenches are only accurate within 2%-3% unless you buy the expensive kind. Mine is a 1% wrench.

·
Registered
168 Posts
just tighten them pretty snug where you feel enough force with one hand.... i never follow the torque specs... it hard to break em after you install anti-seize.......ajuaaaa

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
just tighten them pretty snug where you feel enough force with one hand.... i never follow the torque specs... it hard to break em after you install anti-seize.......ajuaaaa
Only thing with aluminum heads you do need to be a little more careful.

·
Registered
134 Posts
jgard07 - I have been planning to replace my plugs with the Champions. Would like to hear what you think of them, did you get them at a decent price and where. I have a 5 speed GT vert and have read of some horror stories with the broken plugs.

Ron

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jgard07 - I have been planning to replace my plugs with the Champions. Would like to hear what you think of them, did you get them at a decent price and where. I have a 5 speed GT vert and have read of some horror stories with the broken plugs.

Ron
The cheapest I've seen them is $16.23 each at clubplug.net. Post #8 in this thread explains how I went about changing them. I think the amount of difficulty in removal depends on the mileage you have. The Champions look like a decent piece, although expensive.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The cheapest I've seen them is $16.23 each at clubplug.net. Post #8 in this thread explains how I went about changing them. I think the amount of difficulty in removal depends on the mileage you have. The Champions look like a decent piece, although expensive.
Glad to hear that they came out ok.
What is the mileage on your car?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just turned 15k on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Brisk makes a set of Silver Racing for both n/a and blown engines that are supposed to be good. Brenspeed has a pretty good price from what I found.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.