Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced spark plugs on my 2006 Mustang, and 3 of them broke, so I know how the 4.6 3v nightmare goes. I'm about to change the plugs in my 2007 Mustang GT, but I'm stuck between Brisk and Champion. They're both one piece plugs, but I keep hearing that the Brisk is designed for racing and won't last as long or perform as well as Champion for highway and daily driving. No Autolite, no Motorcraft, no other 2-piece plugs. Any input on the Brisk or Champion choice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1 I'm also in the process of doing this and would like to know what everyone's input is.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I installed the champion plugs when I replaced mine. Ended up getting 2 bad plugs. Not sure if this was just a bad batch since I've used champions in most other vehicles I've owned in the past without issues, but figured it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if the original plugs are still in the 2007 GT I just bought after totaling my 2006 GT, so I think I'm gonna stick with these until I go FI if I can. Once I'm FI, it looks like Brisk is the way to go.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I put champions in mine but replaced them with the Brisk and I'm much happier. I had one champion misfire right out of the box, and another start misfiring after about 2-3 months. Replaced those with new champions again, and after about a year or two I wasn't really happy with them, took them out and they looked black. Replaced them with Brisk about a year ago and it's run better ever since. I never liked champions but at the time it was the only one piece I knew of on the market.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brisk it is. I've heard the Brisk wear out faster. How many miles have you got on them? I'm hoping to get 50k out of them since they're about $150 a set.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I changed my plugs at 100K miles, have 20K and new Brisk Racing plugs gapped @ .035 per Brenspeed/Brisk's STRONG recommendations. I have not had a lick of trouble with them and the car runs great!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After research, past experiences with plugs in everything I've ever owned from motorcycles to trucks, I'm going to go with the Brisk plugs when I change. Steeda is the cheapest place I've found at a little under $150 shipping and all. The Advanced Auto Parts and O'Reilly's near me only carry 2 piece plugs and Champions. I hate not changing the plugs right away in a car I just bought, especially knowing how Ford 4.6/5.4 spark plugs are, but I'm gonna hold off until I go with a Paxton NOVI 2200 or start having issues.

·
Registered
171 Posts

I replaced my spark plugs and none broke. thumbsup3.gif Now I'm running with Autolite HT1 and I have absolutely no issues.

2007 Ford Mustang GT, Borla exhaust, JLT-CAI with Brenspeed 95 tune, FRPP springs 1.5", adj. BMR panhard bar, BMR LCA's, retrofitted oem hids, heated seats, brake upgrade, FRPP front LCA's, 3.73 gears, Steeda UDPs, brake ugrade, H&R wheel spacers, shorty antenna,.......

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced my spark plugs and none broke. thumbsup3.gif Now I'm running with Autolite HT1 and I have absolutely no issues.

2007 Ford Mustang GT, Borla exhaust, JLT-CAI with Brenspeed 95 tune, FRPP springs 1.5", adj. BMR panhard bar, BMR LCA's, retrofitted oem hids, heated seats, brake upgrade, FRPP front LCA's, 3.73 gears, Steeda UDPs, brake ugrade, H&R wheel spacers, shorty antenna,.......
I took Autolites out of my 2006 GT. 3 of 8 broke..

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of curiosity jlee910, when you removed the autolites from your 06, were they coated in antisieze ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I changed them right after buying the car used, so I am not 100% sure, but the plugs looked like they had anti seize on the shaft between the threads and tip.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If I had to choose between the two. I would go with Brisk.

In reality, I would use Motorcraft replacements with anti-seize.

Cheers
-Matt

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I had to choose between the two. I would go with Brisk.

In reality, I would use Motorcraft replacements with anti-seize.

Cheers
-Matt
Aren't the Motorcraft plugs a two-piece plug?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Aren't the Motorcraft plugs a two-piece plug?
You are correct. If you use anti-seize then you will be ok. Especially with the life of these plugs.

-Matt

·
Registered
2015 Ruby Red GT, 1966 Silver Blue Coupe
628 Posts
+1

I used motorcraft replacments with anti-seize on mine.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are correct. If you use anti-seize then you will be ok. Especially with the life of these plugs.

-Matt
After past experiences, I'm not chancing it. I'm sticking one piece.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently bought my 06' GT with only 52k miles on it. I'm betting on the plugs never being changed. My long term goals are to get a DoB supercharger kit installed, would the Brisk plugs be a good choice for this setup as well?

Also, I saw a link awhile back to instructions from Ford on the best way to remove the two-piece plugs without breaking them. Does anyone have that info?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I followed the Ford protocols of penetrating oil, temperatures, and all of that, and still had 3 of 8 break. If you're going FI, you'll need to go a colder heat range on your plugs. Brisk sells an up to 450 horsepower set and a 450+ horsepower set. Depending on your horsepower intentions, you'll have to choose one or the other.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I replaced mine last year with 40,000 miles on it. Fortunately none broke - I used the Champions with no issues at all so far in 15,000 miles. All were gapped correctly out of the box.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts