Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was toying around with the idea of adding longtube headers some day what is a good set up I like kooks but they are so expensive. My car is basically stock with slp loudmouths I want a system tha twill fit with my slp loudmouths and is good quality also will I need a tune if so I might as well get a cai tuner package first any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I was toying around with the idea of adding longtube headers some day what is a good set up I like kooks but they are so expensive. My car is basically stock with slp loudmouths I want a system tha twill fit with my slp loudmouths and is good quality also will I need a tune if so I might as well get a cai tuner package first any help would be greatly appreciated.
Give Chris a call at Tillman's. He had a Kooks special with tune a while back. He may just hook you up if you tell him your a member here.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah travelars when I do find the right setup for me Iwill have all my work done at tillman speed I decided to use them a long time ago based on all the excellent feed back but just need to get the money IT might have to wait next year I min no hurry just trying to put together a plan for my car I got the header bug because I had a beautiful woman pull up along side me with a beautful black s197 gt and we played a round a bit and noticed what looked like the long tubes running under neath her car the car sounded great and I was sold.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Yeah travelars when I do find the right setup for me Iwill have all my work done at tillman speed I decided to use them a long time ago based on all the excellent feed back but just need to get the money IT might have to wait next year I min no hurry just trying to put together a plan for my car I got the header bug because I had a beautiful woman pull up along side me with a beautful black s197 gt and we played a round a bit and noticed what looked like the long tubes running under neath her car the car sounded great and I was sold.
It sounds like you got a plan. I hear that the slps with headers are really bad... :nono:
Mine sound good with the GTAs to me.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you got a plan. I hear that the slps with headers are really bad... :nono:
Mine sound good with the GTAs to me.
BAd in what way I love my slps and will not part wit hthem if bad you mean to loud then that is a good thing to me the meaner sounding the better lol.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Yeah i have heard they are horribly loud with that setup. I mean dang i had SLP's and they were extreme! I can not imagine a cat-less mid-pipe and longtube headers.

I have heard my exhaust sounds really crappy with LT's.. When i do break down and order MAC LT's with o/r Prochamber,i plan on buying FRPP stingers with it or Pypes Mid Mufflers.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
You are going to love this mod.:bigthumbsup
I have Kooks and love them.:happydance:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just picked up my Kooks Long tube headers and Hpipe with cats. I am running the Ford Racing Mufflers by Borla. Kooks is extremly expensive but they are top of the line from what everone I talk to says. I got the old exhaust out tonight plan on finishing the install tommorow. I let you guys know how it sounds. Hopefully get some pics.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Loudmouths with long tubes is not a good combination. I loved my LMs until the day I installed the headers. They were gone a short time later.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well I finished the install took way longer than I expected. I didn't have a lift and it just made things so much harder. The instructions Kooks sent suck. Things went alot faster when I lit them on fire and started doing things the way I thought were best. They leave out having to modify the connector for the oxegen sensor extender wire. All of the bolt sizes they list were wrong for what was on my car. Kept sending me back to the tool box. And they leave out steps that just make things so much easier like removing the bater and box. That made getting to the passenger side bolts way simple. Along with removing the motor mount on the passenger side. The bolts are impossible to get to without doing these things.

On a more happier side though the exhaust sounds great and they make one hell of a product. Who ever does their write ups for the instructions needs to be fired though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No pics sorry. I didn't feel like taking them. The install was taking long enough as it was.

Just picked up my Kooks Long tube headers and Hpipe with cats. I am running the Ford Racing Mufflers by Borla. Kooks is extremly expensive but they are top of the line from what everone I talk to says. I got the old exhaust out tonight plan on finishing the install tommorow. I let you guys know how it sounds. Hopefully get some pics.

·
Registered
709 Posts
pics would be good...but how about some video?

Can't wait to hear it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I will get my camera out and see if I can get a good video. The guys at Modular Depot here in KY were right on once again The setup sounds freaking great. Kooks long tube headers, H pipe with cats and Ford Racing Mufflers by borla.

pics would be good...but how about some video?

Can't wait to hear it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have borla long tubes. not the most expensive but deffinetly still up there. my speed shop has installed and tuned for most of the major bands for long tubes and had nothing but good things to say about the borla system. i am very happy with the sound it has too. i use hooker aero chamber mufflers. i am constaly getting comments in town about how good it sounds.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah i have heard they are horribly loud with that setup. I mean dang i had SLP's and they were extreme! I can not imagine a cat-less mid-pipe and longtube headers.

I have heard my exhaust sounds really crappy with LT's.. When i do break down and order MAC LT's with o/r Prochamber,i plan on buying FRPP stingers with it or Pypes Mid Mufflers.:bigthumbsup

I'd have to recommend NOT going Pypes MM with LT's. The MM setup sounds great with the factory cats & H, but not so with LT's. I removed my MM setup 1 week after installing my LT's. It just didn't sound good anymore, reminded me of a Harley with a Nascar combo, you could hear every cylinder firing. I'd suggest a chamber muffler with the LT's.

·
Registered
360 Posts

I'd have to recommend NOT going Pypes MM with LT's. The MM setup sounds great with the factory cats & H, but not so with LT's. I removed my MM setup 1 week after installing my LT's. It just didn't sound good anymore, reminded me of a Harley with a Nascar combo, you could hear every cylinder firing. I'd suggest a chamber muffler with the LT's.
Can't comment on the LM's, but I'd bet it would be similar.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Can't comment on the LM's, but I'd bet it would be similar.
Really? Flowmasters are a chambered muffler and from what i gathered, they sound like complete crap when you change anything but the axelbacks.. I do not want a raspy sound, or ricey.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.