Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I've got a couple of posts out there leading up to this one per se, but I am days away from laying down money for the Roush 435hp supercharger.

However I see Roush's 2300 series blower and Whipple's HO blower. I've heared that going over 500hp is bad for a STOCK...again STOCK GT.

Now, I am looking at headers, pipes, short throw shifter, and a few extras. But I'd rather not drop the extra $$ on a "forged internals" package.

But is this necessary for the 2300/HO systems? I'm asking regarding the base 500hp-ish range. I would imagine that anything really over that would bust up the stock GT:gringreen. Sounds like even the base 2300/HO system requres clutch upgrades.

Should I just stick with the Roush? It will take me close to 500hp, but not over that threshold.

Thanks in advance,
JBS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To clarify, I am wanting a 500hp package. It seems what I've put together ends up at about 460. I'd like to creep over the 500...safely.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
People have done it and have gotte away with it but going over 450rwhp on the stock lower end is a bad idea.

I don't know how Roush rates their blowers. The rate their cars at the flywhel HP. Their 500hp blower kit may be 500hp at the flywheel and not the rear wheels which means it won't even make 450rwhp.

As far as I know there are no blower kits out there that can't be run slow enough to produce 450rwhp.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I agree with Sqidd.You can make 500 but its a crap shoot when it's going to go. If your not going drive it over 4000rpms than fine. But you would be smart to forge it. It's like the old Fram oil commercial. " Pay me now or pay me later.":hihi:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just use a lower boost pulley. The reason is: you will get use to the 460 hp, and in a year, you will want more, and then build a engine with forged internals. Then all you have to do is change the pulley to get more hp. Make sure you have the supercharger capable of supporting more hp, because they are expensive to upgrade.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I say if you want to do it - then do it. I have been running over 500 RWHP and I have driven the car hard as you can and it has been fine. Well, this has only been over three years of drag racing and street encounters. I mean you could possibly throw a rod. Then again, you may not as you can see I havent so far, even though I have beat on this car for three years. I shift at 6100 RPM to avoid venting the block.
Last night I was at the track and I was not hooking well, hit my 7000 RPM rev limiter on launch but it was okay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.