Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tryed to put a billet grill in my 07 mustang without removing the grill i only put the top brackets on cause i couldnt reach the bottom ones then about 2 weeks later wile i was goin down the road the wleds broke and the hardwear bent the top grill fell out and i ran over it so now im gonna try it again but this time im gonna try to take the grill out to put the billet one over it with all 4 brackets so dose anyone no how to remove the upper gill without brakein it

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Get 3 things.

1) a whole lot of paitence
2) a second pair of hands
3) a really long screwdriver

you've got 2 clips on the driver's side and 2 on the pax side. Then 2 clips near the middle. you need to basically pry up the fascia part holding the clip and slide the clip out of it. Its a real P.I.T.A. Took my mechanic and i 10 minutes cause we worried about breaking something. But FYI, it snaps into place in like 30 seconds....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
True, look along the edges of the grill on the inside there are clips that hold it in place.

Also you have to remove the radiator cover.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
True, look along the edges of the grill on the inside there are clips that hold it in place.

Also you have to remove the radiator cover.
and those 6 plastic fasteners are a raging P.I.T.A for me. I always break them,.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes, if you're not taking the radiator cover off, do that first. Here's a trick, bend all the clips/fasteners on the car towards the inside of the grill or away from the car.

It helps for the bottom section to have a person with small hands reach down in there. I've taken the grill off like 5 times, I'm like a pro at it now. :so

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
Too bad your not close, I just took mine off Saturday! Not bad at all, just have several flathead screwdrivers (thin/thinner lol )and wedge those clips open. Pops right out :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
and those 6 plastic fasteners are a raging P.I.T.A for me. I always break them,.....

Ours broke so we replaced them with screw in ones. Now no more breakage :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've found if you do it on a really warm day the plastic around the clips gets pretty soft. use a flathead screw driver and alot of patients. It comes off pretty easy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks i seen those clips under the radiater cover but would it be easyer to take the hole bumper off or try to undo them clips with out brakein them

·
Registered
786 Posts
ok thanks i seen those clips under the radiater cover but would it be easyer to take the hole bumper off or try to undo them clips with out brakein them
Just as easy as shooting yourself in the foot to stop your leg pain......... give it a shot. I did my grill in the middle of winter, no heat to help me, and didn't break any tabs (stock grill just fine) and installed new grill by "snaping" it in. Be patient, be methodical, and take your time (shouldn't take more than an hour) and you will be golden. If your clips keep grabbin their tabs, wedge some wooden door shims in there from behind, and it should come out quik. Good luck, but bear in mind, lots of us have done it wihout a tractor or crane, so be patient.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks ill give it a try

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.