Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an all grey interior and i want to change it to black:scratchchin

I have ordered :woohoo:
new carpet,
headliner,
leather seat covers that sew on,has a professional feel and look. :shocked:

The only question i have is I just want to change the door panels and dash, the only thing is i cant find nor want to pay the expensive cost of new or used black panels i was wondering if it was possible to just paint the current ones black:headscratch:
but my friend said that the panels are painted when being made so the color is permanent in the plastic he said if i were to paint it, even with a professional grade paint it would still wear away quickly.:nono:

any appropriate suggestions would be great:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
383 Posts
I currently have an all grey interior and i want to change it to black:scratchchin

I have ordered :woohoo:
new carpet,
headliner,
leather seat covers that sew on,has a professional feel and look. :shocked:

The only question i have is I just want to change the door panels and dash, the only thing is i cant find nor want to pay the expensive cost of new or used black panels i was wondering if it was possible to just paint the current ones black:headscratch:
but my friend said that the panels are painted when being made so the color is permanent in the plastic he said if i were to paint it, even with a professional grade paint it would still wear away quickly.:nono:

any appropriate suggestions would be great:bigthumbsup
if you figure this out with an APPX cost, please let me know. im sitting in the same boat as you, i have the dove grey or whatever its called. dont get me wrong, i like it, but black would be so much better. :happyhapp

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have black carpet available out of a 2006. Carpet always had floor mats. If interested, I'll take $90 + shipping. I can snap some pics if needed.

-danny

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not conducting a transaction, was throwing it out to whomever might be interested. It's relevent to the thread. I'm not a retailer, I just happen to have swapped out my carpet last week with red carpet and have it sitting in my garage.

-danny

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
might i ask why you ripped out your carpet? didn't like the color and swapped it for something else?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
might i ask why you ripped out your carpet? didn't like the color and swapped it for something else?
That's what I did. I didn't like the gray that it came with; it showed stains too well and I'm not always the cleanest guy in the world when I come home from work. I picked up a factory carpet on ebay for about $75. They sell factory replacements, but they need to be installed by someone who knows what they are doing. Unless you are a carpet installer, don't try to install one of those kits that ACC sells yourself.

If anyone ever decides to do this (other than the OP), I advise just ordering a carpet from the dealer. It's about $400, but after spending $150 for a new carpet and about $200 for install, it would just be eaiser to get the factory one and do it yourself. It's really easy since it's already formed for the car and will just lay in place; no cutting/gluing required.

As far as painting the door panels, it should last a while if you do it correctly. Scuff up the section you want to paint with some 320 grit sandpaper, adhesion promoter, primer, paint, clearcoat. Add coats as necessary. I've painted many things in my car and they are in fine shape. Your other option is to have an upholstery shop install some leather into that area. Not sure how much that will cost.

·
Registered
917 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Duplicolor (The ones that make the caliper paint kits) make an interior and upholstery paint.

I have the grey and want to go black as well, and got a can of gloss and flat black. I did the inside mirror cover panels(The little triangle ones).

They came out good, but took a couple days to bake on good in the heat of the day. Now I can dig my fingernail across and not pull up anything.

I Intend on doing the center console piece next, and see how it holds up with the seat belt parts rubbing against it, and my phone clip and stuff.

BTW, the flat black is a much better match for the dash color than the gloss.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
If I'm allowed by the moderators, I'll post an image. I swapped my seats to two tone, black with red inserts, and my carpet for red.

Felt it'd be too much black if I left the black carpet.

-danny
Looking good I like the contrast. Where did you get the red stiched brake and shifter boots?

·
Registered
179 Posts
The shift boot is the Gt500 boot, the brake boot was from a member on another forum. PM me and I'll send you his info as I don't want to offend the moderators.

-danny

·
Registered
381 Posts
Honestly, when it comes to changing out the interior, painting or dying plastic is a craps game... it's not if you'll lose but when.

Have you tried scouring for used interiors from places like Craigs List, junk yards (hey, if the left quarter panel and frame are smashed, that doesn't mean the interior isn't any good!) and other venues for reduced prices?

Don't be so lazy by the ease of the internet that you forget other great sources to get car parts ;)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If I'm allowed by the moderators, I'll post an image. I swapped my seats to two tone, black with red inserts, and my carpet for red.

Felt it'd be too much black if I left the black carpet.

-danny
VERY nice, Danny! Looks great!!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honestly, when it comes to changing out the interior, painting or dying plastic is a craps game... it's not if you'll lose but when.

Have you tried scouring for used interiors from places like Craigs List, junk yards (hey, if the left quarter panel and frame are smashed, that doesn't mean the interior isn't any good!) and other venues for reduced prices?

Don't be so lazy by the ease of the internet that you forget other great sources to get car parts ;)
oh im not lazy i have searched local junk yards and ebay/craigslist. it is simply i cant find them. altough i have found the painting process i will be doing and it will save me hundreds of $$$

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.