Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help! Since November 2009, I've been experiencing a vibrating/ rattleing problem when my car is idleing. The RPMs drop when I come to a stop at a signal, or stop sign. It also happens sometimes when I am turning a corner, or when I'm in "park". It happens more when my air conditioning is on, and when my headlights are on. It's scary because it feels like the car is going to stall out. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens regularly on an intermediate basis. I've also had problems where my windows get stuck and the repair facility has to "reset" the computer about once every couple of months. I've taken the car in 6 times, to 3 different Ford repair establishments to have the rattleing/vibrating problem identified and solved, but it seems like I'm getting a run-a-round. On 2 occasions 2 seperate techs from 2 different repair facilities experienced and acknowledged the problem in test drives, but later when they can't (or won't) fix the problem, they don't want to admit they originally experienced the problem first hand during the test drive. In one case, the repair place denied the tech ever acknowledged the problem. (I was in the car with him when it happened and he talked about it to the service adviser while I was present). I bought my car new and still have about 800 miles of the original bumper to bumper warranty left, and I'm feeling like they're trying to wear me down until the warranty is used up. From what I can find, it seems there has been similar problems with other cars on this site. If anyone out there can help, I'd really appreciate it. I don't know anything mechanical about cars.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
welcome to the forums. the a/c does put quite a load on these 4.0`s. you didnt say how many miles were on the car. your 2007 will be due for a battery replacement soon, so look for that to fail at any time.

ive never had any rough running conditions with mine,( bought used with 40k) now over 75k, but ive replaced the spark plug wires, 4 sets of spark plugs, 3 fuel filters, cleaned the tb 3 times, cleaned maf sensor 3 times, cleaned the air filter 6 times( all routine maint.) getting ready for my 2nd trans flush. any of that could cause a rough running condition.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I’m not sure if it’s what you’re experiencing or not, but it’s normal for the idle on the 4.0 to get rough for a few seconds while waiting at a light or stop when the high speed mode of the engine cooling fan kicks in. The extra load on the alternator pulls down the engine speed and the computer must correct. It should stabilize in a couple of seconds though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses! The car has 35,300.00 miles. One more question: Is it normal for the car to have this problem without the air conditioner running? It just seems odd that it would be normal for the car to act like this when you drive it at night with just the headlights on.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mine seems to be especially noticeable at night with the AC off. That electric fan motor draws a lot of current when it first kicks into high-speed operation. The lighter the static engine load (no AC), the more noticeable it will be. Keep in mind that this is only a guess as to what you're experiencing. There's always a chance that it may be something else.

·
Registered
505 Posts
welcome to the forums. the a/c does put quite a load on these 4.0`s. you didnt say how many miles were on the car. your 2007 will be due for a battery replacement soon, so look for that to fail at any time.

ive never had any rough running conditions with mine,( bought used with 40k) now over 75k, but ive replaced the spark plug wires, 4 sets of spark plugs, 3 fuel filters, cleaned the tb 3 times, cleaned maf sensor 3 times, cleaned the air filter 6 times( all routine maint.) getting ready for my 2nd trans flush. any of that could cause a rough running condition.

ugh....sufferring from m-ocd(mustang obsessive compulsive disorder)...:winks

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ugh....sufferring from m-ocd(mustang obsessive compulsive disorder)...:winks
oh,,,absolutely 100% no denial :gringreen but my car has always run great :bigthumbsup without thinking twice, i would at the very least change the fuel filter. my g/f`s fuel filter at 25k was full of muck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.