Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I noticed before and didn't think anything of it...
As my RPMS increase,t he lil whistle gets louder and higher, and vice versa. Sounds really loud at WOT. So wtf is is...just curious:?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket intake on it? Some throttle bodies just have a tendency to whistle.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock intake...makes sense though ty.

and to the video......WTF?!!?!?! hahaha

·
Registered
889 Posts
You have a vacuum air leak somewhere. Have someone get behind the wheel to run it while you track down the sound under the hood.

Has it always had the sound or have you done some work under the hood recently and now it does it?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
You have a vacuum air leak somewhere. Have someone get behind the wheel to run it while you track down the sound under the hood.

Has it always had the sound or have you done some work under the hood recently and now it does it?
Not necessarily. It could just be the throttle body.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's always done that since I bought the thing.. It sounds like ... a lil whine or hum that raises and lowers with rpms. I like it...just wanna know what it is.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not necessarily. It could just be the throttle body.
Well, wouldn't that mean that there's a bad seal under the throttle body or are some throttle bodies just molded wierd to make the sound? Having grown up before computerized cars and having had vehicles with 50 miles of vacuum tubing under the hood, I've always thought of a whistle under the hood as a bad thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has always whistled also, I think it's just the stock airbox. When I switched to the JLT it whistled a bit louder, so I'm guessing that's the source.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
id say its just your box or mayb a seal around the throttlebody...if you have any mechanix experience with basic tools itll be easy..just disconnect your intake hose and take out the 4 bolts around your TB...i believe theres a rubber seal around the inside...take it out and check it for cracks...if its cracked then theres your problem..if not put it all back together and check your airbox...one of the clapms may be off or something else small like that...if not its just the natural whistle your intake gives

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does it have a throttle body spacer in it? A lot of TBS's will cause that whistle. I have and Airaid TBS on mine and it whistles under acceleration then mellows out at cruising speed.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Well, wouldn't that mean that there's a bad seal under the throttle body or are some throttle bodies just molded wierd to make the sound? Having grown up before computerized cars and having had vehicles with 50 miles of vacuum tubing under the hood, I've always thought of a whistle under the hood as a bad thing.
Some of them just whistle due to their design. Some even go as far as to drill a hole in the plate to reduce the whistle (I have no idea how that is supposed to work). :shigrin

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
id say its just your box or mayb a seal around the throttlebody...if you have any mechanix experience with basic tools itll be easy..just disconnect your intake hose and take out the 4 bolts around your TB...i believe theres a rubber seal around the inside...take it out and check it for cracks...if its cracked then theres your problem..if not put it all back together and check your airbox...one of the clapms may be off or something else small like that...if not its just the natural whistle your intake gives
It could be the silicone rubber gasket between the TB and plenum. Mine actually broke in half and I had to replace it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Some of them just whistle due to their design. Some even go as far as to drill a hole in the plate to reduce the whistle (I have no idea how that is supposed to work). :shigrin
So some cars are just happier than others. I guess you don't have to worry unless it also starts humming "Whistle while you work" or "Hi ho, hi ho" :hihi:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha - ok..ty everyone^_^

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.