Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's nothing I can do right now with no money, but since I'm not sure exactly what problems the car has, it can't do any harm to get some opinions to figure it out.

Transmission
I believe the synchromesh is broken. I've read, though, that it's individual to every gear, yet shifting into any gear is about even. Either every gear is equally screwed or it's some other problem.

The car never seems to shift that smoothly as I go from first to second. I feel a jerk no matter how smoothly I try to time the clutch and accelerator. I'm not sure if this is normal.

If I don't shift early in 2nd, for example, getting into 3rd is difficult, and going to a higher gear sometimes seems necessary.

Shifting into 3rd gear, the gearshift sometimes feels like it gets caught on something. Going to neutral and then pushing up to 3rd makes it go in smoothly.

Shifting into 5th, I can hear a clunk sound shortly afterward.

Exhaust
Putting the car in neutral and revving produces a tin-can-like popping sound from the rear of the car.

Driving
In 5th with the accelerator pressed down, there is a kind of high pitched whine or something. Sounds odd, possibly not normal. I'm not sure what is normal since I haven't extensively driven any car but this one.

Ticking under left wheel well
This is annoying, and research after I bought the car showed it could be many things, but nobody listening to it in person other than my brother thought it was abnormal. Accelerating makes the tick faster, and idling it's kind of slow. It seems quite loud when next to anything big enough for it to echo from, and that's mainly why it's annoying.

·
Registered
590 Posts
it sounds like you have a bad hydrolic "throwout" bearing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't know what to tell you about the shifting.
With your exhaust my car does the same but only when its cold, also the wine in the trans in 5th sounds normal over 5pd V6 i've driven does that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all current input.

Another thing, which I thought was minor, is the squeaky clutch pedal. I assumed this would be an easy fix: If it squeaks, oil it. Other opinions have suggested it's actually a more serious issue.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My girl's dad has a corvette with a hole in the exhaust. It makes a high pitched whine when he revs it. He hasn't fixed it yet because he thinks it sounds like a turbo charger. Maybe check there.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your tranny problems. I am a lazy automatic guy after all :rollgrin:

·
Registered
590 Posts
you can always change out your transmision fluid with synchromesh. i changed mine out to it and it shiftes alot smoother than it did. problem i still there, just not near as bad. but, your problems are fairly common with these v6 ponys. these transmissions are trash, and ford should be sued for turning out such a ****** product and leaving it's customers screwed. but that's just my oppinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just took mine into the shop today, service took for a test drive and I've been told need to replace the bushings within the transmission. Here's the list of my symptons, might be something for you to look into.

very rough shift from 1st to 2nd
sometimes would "hang up/get caught" shifting from 1st-> 2nd or 3rd -> 2nd.
and rough shifts for the remaining gears

·
Registered
76 Posts
How many miles are on the car? It could just be time for a transmisson rebuild.

With these kind of mechanical issues it's best to just bite the 100-200 bucks and get a real mechanic with years of experience to diagnose the car so you know for sure. It'll make you happier in the end when you found out from a reputable technician than from some guy over the internet.

It's always a good idea to get some input from these forums, but to me it sounds like you are going to need something major fixed in the bowels of your drivetrain.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've got a similar noise from the exhaust- I think it might be a loose baffle in the muffler, but am too cheap to replace it just to find out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts