Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone in the neighborhood is threatning to call the police if I don't put my muffler back on. I don't want to!!!! It's so loud and sexy.

Does anyone know if florida law prohibits me from removing it?

Also, is there any kind of muffler or pipe etc. that i can put on it to make it legal?

this is a night and day difference people, and i dont wanna lose my sound.

thanks in advanced. :) <3

·
Registered
37 Posts
You ARE kidding I hope.:headscratch:
I mean why stop there? Disconnect the pipes at the cats. :laugh: Do you work night shift? Do you have ANY consideration for you neighbors? Do you have any consideration for anyone but YOURSELF?:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Everyone in the neighborhood is threatning to call the police if I don't put my muffler back on. I don't want to!!!! It's so loud and sexy.
:) <3
I have to agree that there is something elemental and sensual about straight-pipe open exhaust. Trouble is, community standards prohibit their use. It's like going naked: you can do it for a while, and it will feel great to you, but sooner or later, if you don't decide to abandon that behavior, someone will start making your decisions for you. No joke.

My tolerant and friendly neighbors let me get away with a lot of noise pollution, because the knew I'd eventually do the right thing. And I did. I doubt they'd have been so patient if I hadn't contributed a lot to the community in other ways.

I had an in-line four-cylinder engine with tri-y headers and a long glass-pack muffler that I terminated with a home-made 23-degree megaphone for a "tip". It was actually pretty quiet until after a few races and the glass in the mufflers melted and made the whole system straight-through, not only unmuffled, but megaphoned. I's start it up to go to work, immediately put it in gear and idle away for a couple of blocks before making any revs. Then, it was loud.

Loudest exhaust I ever heard was the V-12 Matra F1 car at Ontario Motor Speedway. When it went by close, it made your teeth ache.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Idk. I just took off my muffler today to see what difference it made...and I love it

I guess I'll probobly end up getting american thunder axlebacks for it..I just wish I know of a muffler that was straight through and kept it legal but loud. Man i love the sound...but ya....respect the neighbors too :(

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
your gonna be disappointed with the axle backs but if you want them PM me and i can give you duals dirt cheap, i took mine off because no muffler sounds so much better, my neighbors dont care at all, one neighbor has a lotus elise and the other has a z06 that is 10x louder then my car.

Neighbors can call the police all they want but unless they catch you driving without it and have a decibel meter to truly see if your violating anything it won't make a difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I see. So I guess it's really just a noise thing. The law isn't just "you must have a muffler" lol. ok got it. also....those duals have my name on em !

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Can you just get some SLP loudmouths? They are muffler deletes and they have really nice tips on them too. I say go for that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
its lame that here in cali u can get busted for ur mufflers being too loud. when me and my 3 friends in their 3 cars (4 including me) they all got busted for custom mufflers. it was weird cuz i was the only one who didnt get a ticket for tht even tho i ,too, have custom erxhaust. and yes they all drove rice rockets. 1 integra, a civic with a cherry bomb muffler, and a sunfire with custom dual exhaust cherry bombs

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
its lame that here in cali u can get busted for ur mufflers being too loud. when me and my 3 friends in their 3 cars (4 including me) they all got busted for custom mufflers. it was weird cuz i was the only one who didnt get a ticket for tht even tho i ,too, have custom erxhaust. and yes they all drove rice rockets. 1 integra, a civic with a cherry bomb muffler, and a sunfire with custom dual exhaust cherry bombs
They are getting bad in MA. They passed a law in October that you can be pulled over and fined for custom exhaust. A few of my friends were pulled over for a mustang cruise for having custom exhaust. The statie made him start his car and rev it. They got 75 dollar tickets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK,
so where would you guys draw the line?
Say my name is John Force and I think I should be able to drive my unmuffled nitro burning funny car around YOUR neighborhood?
Hey I think that would be great, but sorry,....is that too loud for you?:laugh: Well by whose standards? Yours? Well I think yours are too stringent, so I'm gonna drive it around anyway, fu*k you. Don't you guys realize that there has to be some limits (whether they're enforced or not is another thing):scratchchin

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
no, i could care less if someone drives something loud, they arent doing it all day, its no different then someone cutting their grass or any other lawn equipment and they do that for hours, this is a car going by the house once or twice, even if its more its only for a second, i would only be aggravated if it sat outside my house constantly revving for hours at a time but that obviously doesn't happen.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i agree. i could understand it being annoying when whoever is driving is constantly driving it nearby to be annoying or sumthin like tht. but to call the police or get butthurt over loud exhaust that lasts a few seconds before u cant hear it anymore is just ridiculous. when i would drive by my cuzzins friends house, ive gotten talked to twice for my car. they assumed thaT by my loud exhaust i was racing down the street, but couldnt do anything cuz they didnt see me driving at the time. they threatened me that if they did catch me driving around i would get a ticket

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, agreed. People assume loud means fast.
Some idiot....on 3 occasions!!!!! has jumped out in front of me saying slow down...-_-

He jumped away all 3 times missing my car by inches.
meanwhile im thinking....hmm....300 pound man...3 thousand pound car..haha

Ug.....looks like ill have to get something to cover that drone hole under my car....but man il mis that sound :){

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had someone yell to slow down while i was going an amazing 5 mph :so, i have also been yelled at many a time because i was going too fast because you know these people have radar guns built into their eyes :so.

I can understand if im speeding around the neighborhood or if it seems like im going fast and someones kids are in the street or dog or something but to freak out because my car LOOKS like its going fast is ridiculous, i hate people sometimes

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm....I wonder if I put a 50MPH decal on my windshield, people would freak out because im going 50 in the neighbohood lol.

Agreed Chris. ^_^

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
For a few years I lived in a residential neighborhood in Tijuana, Mexico, and worked a shift that got me home around midnight (name the artist?). I drove an Austin-Healey 3000 (big six) with an Abarth exhaust. It sounded wonderful in any mode, but especially going down First Avenue with all the stores closed and no cars or people to deflect the sound from echoing off the building fronts. One night I was enjoying the noise at 20 MPH, when a Policía fell in behind and pulled me over. He said I was going too fast. I said it sounded like "fast" but wasn't. He didn't buy it, and said I had to pay a 20-dollar fine, which he could collect on the spot. Well, Sir, said I, The payday is tomorrow, and I have about 52 cents in my pocket. Maybe another dollar or two at home. Humph, he said, Follow me to the station.

I followed him for a few blocks (not, for some reason, toward the station). Pretty soon he saw an expensive-looking car roll a Stop Sign. He pulled her over, told her to sit still, and came back to me. He said, OK, give me your 52 cents and remember not to speed any more. Yes, Sir, I said, and I never made noise or speeded again.

I remember that lesson as if it were last night, and it was 44 years ago: Don't make noise, don't speed, be nice and honest, and you'll be home (relatively) free!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Whoa, they have stop signs in mexico!?!?!?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I live on a busier street and get woken up at all hours of the night. It only takes one loud car one second to wake you up. And there's nothing you can do since these aren't your neighbors so you can't call the cops on them, not that I would anyway.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I live on a culdesac where 3 out of the 4 houses, mine included, have some kind of 'loud' car. One neighbor has a wrx thats loud, another has about 6 lifted trucks all with exhaust and my brothers Tundra (w/ magnaflows) and my 'stang.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

So go take your neighbors mufflers off too then they can't say anything. :gringreen

·
Registered
114 Posts
I live on a culdesac where 3 out of the 4 houses, mine included, have some kind of 'loud' car. One neighbor has a wrx thats loud, another has about 6 lifted trucks all with exhaust and my brothers Tundra (w/ magnaflows) and my 'stang.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

So go take your neighbors mufflers off too then they can't say anything. :gringreen
I have a feeling you guys have some wild 4th of Julys.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.