Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I own a 2007 V6 and lately I've been hating to pay for the oil changes so I finally decided to do it myself. I have all the tools required to do the job except knowing what type of oil filter to use. I know where my oil filter is located but since its in a tough spot I cant see what PH number it is. Can anyone let me know?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Hey I own a 2007 V6 and lately I've been hating to pay for the oil changes so I finally decided to do it myself. I have all the tools required to do the job except knowing what type of oil filter to use. I know where my oil filter is located but since its in a tough spot I cant see what PH number it is. Can anyone let me know?
:wavey Welcome to AFM and the forums. i mostly use motorcraft filters, ph something is a fram filter which i use sometimes too. i change my oil so much, any name brand filter will work. its like asking what kind of oil to use. you`ll get alot of different answers, or spark plugs. just use a major brand and not brand x and you`ll be fine. every auto parts has a book by the filters to look up all your filters. fram-ph2 motorcraft-fl820s

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Motorcraft are good filters, Fram filters are :nono: pretty lousy.

Tech Review: The Long Waited FRAM OIL FILTER REVIEW! - dslreports.com
i`m not buying it. ive changed oil for 37 yrs and ive never had a problem like that guy did, esp if he really changed his oil every couple thou. a hand tight filter does not take 3 wrenches to get it off and busting it apart. and it sounded like he used the last one from a case his grandfather bought god knows when that sat around in his damp garage. i still prefer motorcraft ford parts for my ford, but i`ll use the fram if motorcrafts are out of stock.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I buy My motorcraft filters at Walmart. They have a book there that you can look up the proper filter. If you ever have an issue with your car,They can see that you have a Motorcraft filter on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone know about the Walmart brand of oil filters? They're made by Motorcraft I think, also. The Super Tech brand?

I change oil a lot also so I imagine just the fact that i change it won't make much of a difference which brand but just wondering.

Also, where's a good, up to date filter chart? Fram itself only goes to about 2009 or so....

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Anyone know about the Walmart brand of oil filters? They're made by Motorcraft I think, also. The Super Tech brand?

I change oil a lot also so I imagine just the fact that i change it won't make much of a difference which brand but just wondering.

Also, where's a good, up to date filter chart? Fram itself only goes to about 2009 or so....
welcome to the forums. i dont know about walmart filters. i wouldnt buy them. motorcrafts dont cost that much and your saving money on the change anyway. i always buy 3 or 4 filters at a time, then i order 2 or 3 cases of oil online. but i`m changing oil in 2 stangs, seems like all the time :) i always used fram on my trucks, no problems, but ive only used the motorcrafts on the stangs. just make sure when you remove the filter, the gasket comes off with it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I took my car back home to the Ford dealer the other day to get my oil changed (I just cant beat their price). Doesn't Ford always use Motorcraft? I ask because they put a NAPA filter on it...

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I took my car back home to the Ford dealer the other day to get my oil changed (I just cant beat their price). Doesn't Ford always use Motorcraft? I ask because they put a NAPA filter on it...
you would think that they would, but thats why you cant beat the price maybe :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
not bad..autozone has had a rewards program going, spend 20.00 4 or 5 times and get a 20.00 free deal on anything in the store. so ive just grabbed like 4 filters at a time and bulbs, tb cleaner or something till hit the 20.00. so my next 4 filters will be free. the motorcrafts are 4.49 ( bought a nice pc of chamois there too)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sorry about that wrong link but good filter, looks like they stopped selling 2-packs on amazon for some reason...just look up by make and model.

Our filter is the same as GT and tons of other Ford products such as the Duratec engines.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
PH2 is the fram number. which is a good call. i fram everything... and now people are going to tell me why not to use fram so on and so fourth, but 270k a fram every mile is good enough for me.

however on the mustang im going to run a motorcraft filter. jsut cause it requires more than a daily driver

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
PH2 is the fram number. which is a good call. i fram everything... and now people are going to tell me why not to use fram so on and so fourth, but 270k a fram every mile is good enough for me.

however on the mustang im going to run a motorcraft filter. jsut cause it requires more than a daily driver
i ran fram filters on my 88 ford f250 for 14 years ( over 100 oil changes, myself) from brand new to 310,000 miles when i sold it. it still ran great. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.