Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 Ford Contour engine melted going 85 on I-95 the other week and I am looking to replace it with a 2007 V6 Pony with Manual Transmission. I want the pony package not only because I love the styling but from what I understand it is a significant upgrade.

The thing is aside from hazy descriptions of an improved suspension and the swapping in of the GT's P235/55ZR17's, what other improvements are there?

I have been reading your forum extensively over the past weeks as well as other sources that discuss the limiter in these cars. My Contour could do 107 or so before the limiter kicked in, I know that 115 is an improvement but is going faster possible? Also can the stock parts in a pony handle higher speeds without melting? Somewhere I came across mention of the reason for the limiter being so low being related to some cheap part within the car... The reason this is important is given the upgraded tires this car could theoretically aside from other factors hit 165 which is the rating for the Pirellis (~spelling) ....

I suppose that was a mouthful especially for a first time poster and new member... if you can answer even part of what I'm asking please do!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The Pony package give you 17" Alloy Bullit (spelling) wheels and better tires. Also, aside from the frond grill and rear spoiler and he badges, the pony has front and rear sway bars. The bars greatly improve the cars stiffness allowing you to take corners faster. I drove in a stang without them and man, they make a difference.

Now I am not sure whether these features are stock or do they always come with the Pony Package but here is what mine came with:
Traction Control
ABS (pretty sure it is stock)
Shaker 500 with 6 in dash cd changer
My Color
Spoiler
Pony Package grill w/ fog lights (of course)
Sway bars

That is all that comes to mind right now.

Now the car will take speeds over 115. There are 3 things that prevent you going that fast. The tires, the driveshaft, and the speed limiter. All of those things can be overcome with better rated tires, aluminum driveshaft, and a tuner (respectively). Now I am not sure about the manual transmition, but the auto in V6s is the same as in GTs. I would wait for someone more knowledgable in that part to answer that question.

By the way, in my opinion manual is the way to go. I decided not to get the manual, wrongly, because I was iffy with the manual when I got the car, I live in DC and traffic is MURDER, and it was my daily driver. Looking back now, not great reasons but I love my car none the less.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and welcome soon to pride of mustang owenership.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The Pony Package only offers, unique front fascia (fog lights in grill and chrome surround), 17" bullitt wheels with Pirelli all season high performance tires, rear sway bar (smaller than the GT's rear sway bar), unique rear spoiler (I prefer the '06 rear wing over the '07 and up), pony tape stripe, ABS and Traction control, pony center cap for wheels, and front floor mats with mustang lettering. I'm looking at my original info sticker and it says that the pony package included a 17" aluminum mini spare wheel w/ tire.
The interior upgrade package is a seperate option. That includes the satin aluminum dashboard along with door inserts, MyColor gauges, driver power seat, and aluminum inserts on the steering wheel.

All in all a pony package is the better deal. It should be the standard mustang. A manual tranny is also a great option. From what I have read, the only thing that breaks past 115 mph is the driveshaft. I did a total of around 8-10 minutes going 113 and nothing broke or melted. And the engine was only spinning around 3500rpm at 113mph. My rev limiter kicks in at 5800 with no tune and the car is still pulling at that rpm. The '05-09 stangs are built very well. The new ones are if not the same, even better.
If you like the SVT Contour, you might consider looking at the new Fusion Sport.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't come with a front sway bar?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I know that 115 is an improvement but is going faster possible? Also can the stock parts in a pony handle higher speeds without melting?
Certainly u can remove it by retuning... It can handle higher speeds but i wouldnt go too much over the top. Its a great car I had a 07 v6 before my GT and it is great. They drive very differently, at 120+ in the v6 u are feeling every mph. with the GT u can go 120+ (please on a closed road/ course) and u feel solid and like ur going maybe 80. Max ive done on my v6 on a closed track was 125 (ran out of road and was gettin alil shakey) Just took my GT out on a old runway and was over 140 feeling great but ran out of road. Bottom line is, you can do it. it has the power but unless u upgrade ur suspension i would not go much over 120. just too much at risk. But it is a GREAT car and id def say get it!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't come with a front sway bar?
Yeah it does, that's a standard feature on the regular six. I was just listing the extras that come with the pony package.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm not sure how important the driveshaft is in the V6. I've had mine run at a guesstimation of around 130mph (speedo only goes to 120) for several miles with no driveline vibration or problems. The V6 is a single piece driveshaft whereas the V8 GT has a 2 piece driveshaft. I may be wrong but I think most of the driveshaft horror stories come from the GT driveshafts but the stories have been generalized so that everyone assumes that the V6s need a different driveshaft too.

If anyone has any personal experience with this, please chime in if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think it will break right away but the continued centripetal forces might fatigue it enough to break. I can't recall exactly, but last time I looked under the car, for some reason I think it was a 2 piece.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The V6 driveshaft, I believe, is two piece, similar to the gt. The front sway bar, which is slightly smaller then the gt's, comes stock with all v6s. The pony package includes the rear sway bar, which is the same sway bar off the gt, not smaller. I loved my pony package, having the fogs was great and it really set the car apart. The wheels are a great improvement too, and yes, a stick shift is the way to go.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I personally think the Pony Package V6 is the best looking mustang on the road.

I picked my V6 out VERY plain because I like that look (probably why I'm such a fan of the Bullitt) but I must admit when I see a Pony Package go by, I think they look great. And the extra added sus. and traction/ABS certainly doesn't hurt!

That would be the mustang to mod out for a little more speed.

(I would by it in Manual Trans like so many of us here.. I too bought an automatic thinking it would be better for all my daily city driving... it's MUCH more fun to work the shifter.....a fair trade for putting up with the city traffic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS!! ya I'm looking to hone my manual skills with this car... auto would seem pointless in a mustang even if its a V6 thanks again for all the info!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The V6 driveshaft, I believe, is two piece, similar to the gt. The front sway bar, which is slightly smaller then the gt's, comes stock with all v6s. The pony package includes the rear sway bar, which is the same sway bar off the gt, not smaller. I loved my pony package, having the fogs was great and it really set the car apart. The wheels are a great improvement too, and yes, a stick shift is the way to go.:bigthumbsup
pony bar is not the same as the gt the gt rear bar is 20mm and the pony and converts are 18mm check out the poly size and look at the bar code on your rear sway bar.

Moss Mustang Store - Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are you guys sure that the Pony pkg has ABS and traction control included? I have an 09 v6 Premium with Pony pkg and it didn't come with ABS or traction control. I have the sway bars front & rear, 17" wheels, better Perelli tires, rear spoiler, fogs, satin metal dash & steering wheel, leather steering wheel wrap, Shaker 500, power driver seat, ambient lights, my color dash, and that's about it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Are you guys sure that the Pony pkg has ABS and traction control included? I have an 09 v6 Premium with Pony pkg and it didn't come with ABS or traction control. I have the sway bars front & rear, 17" wheels, better Perelli tires, rear spoiler, fogs, satin metal dash & steering wheel, leather steering wheel wrap, Shaker 500, power driver seat, ambient lights, my color dash, and that's about it.
Yea it must come with ABS, TCS standard, your Traction button is right next to your hazard flasher, just press it and TCS off light will come on meaning you turned off your TCS and whenever you shut off engine and start again, Traction will automatically turn on again and you have to do it manually.
ABS is on the front right side when you pop the hood, its in front of the intake, you can see it clearly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yea it must come with ABS, TCS standard, your Traction button is right next to your hazard flasher, just press it and TCS off light will come on meaning you turned off your TCS and whenever you shut off engine and start again, Traction will automatically turn on again and you have to do it manually.
ABS is on the front right side when you pop the hood, its in front of the intake, you can see it clearly.
Yea, I understand what you are saying but I don't have that. I wonder if it is not actually part of the pony package, but actually just a dealer added line item when they order the car. Next to the hazard light switch I have on one side is the passenger air bag light, and on the other is a dead switch. As for ABS I have seen what it looks like under the hood on pictures on the web, but mine has no ABS. Do you know of any, or have you come across any Ford spec sheet that shows that these items are part of the pony package?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well that's odd.

I have never seen without them. My 06 has them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
From what i read, only 06 stangs with pony package came with abs and t/c standard, and also the 06 had the same rear sway bar as the gt i believe. from 07 and up they removed the abs and t/c, and put on a smaller sway bar, and thats also why the price got lower.

I have a 08 pony package without abs and t/c.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts