Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently put stoptech crossdrilled rotors on my mustang along with some stoptech brake pads. After lubing up all of the slide pins, pushing in all of the pistons, etc. I took it for a test drive. Halfway through the test drive i noticed that the engine sounded like it had stress on it when slightly accelerating. If I stay off of the gas then my car will slowly come to a stop. After getting home my rotors were rainbow like on the verge of igniting. So I took the rear brakes completely apart, checked all of the slide pins, turned in the pistons as far as they go and repeated the test drive. Same dissapointing results. Any suggestions as to what I should do next? Anything will help! THANKS!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
you could try dis connecting the e brake cables at the calipers, just to see if they are hangin it up, allthough, that is how you adjust the rear brakes to get the pistons back in position. might be able to get them set, then disconnect the cables

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
did you make sure that you turned the piston with the triangle indents up and down so that they would engage with the pins on the back of the pads? that the springs on inside and outside pads are spread properly on the outside of the open spaces on the caliper? and that the pad ears are free moving in the clips? the only other thing i can think of is when the pistons were out with the wore pads, cleaning the piston before you pushed them in all the way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know for sure that the springs and the pad ears are good. I will go ahead and turn the pistons back in with the triangles up and down. If that doesnt work I will go ahead and clean the piston. Thanks!! Ill let you know if it works.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I know for sure that the springs and the pad ears are good. I will go ahead and turn the pistons back in with the triangles up and down. If that doesnt work I will go ahead and clean the piston. Thanks!! Ill let you know if it works.
thats all the ideas i had. thought someone else might have something. i havent had that issue (yet anyway) is it just one side hanging up? could be a bad caliper, but i dont usually believe in coincidences , even though it can happen :) i hope you didnt warp the new rotor.

·
Registered
344 Posts
And it's pretty hard to get the wrong rotor. The V6 and GT use the same ones. Guess it could have been mixed up the a GT500. I think they use a thicker one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts