Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first. I am a Ford guy, and I loved my '00 and I LOVE my '05. But is anyone tired of Ford hyping up the 2007 Shelby??? 450-475 HP is a lot, but why does Ford keep producing cars with blowers!!!??? Hell, I'm ordering a twin-turbo kit that will produce 600 HP. Ford just puts on a blower to make big HP. Why don't they just put an f'in big motor in there? No offense fellas, but Chevy will always win if similar Fords and Chevys are tested. The ZO6 makes 505 HP naturally aspirated!!!! Come on Ford, build a big motor and leave it at that!!!!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
fast05stang said:
First things first. I am a Ford guy, and I loved my '00 and I LOVE my '05. But is anyone tired of Ford hyping up the 2007 Shelby??? 450-475 HP is a lot, but why does Ford keep producing cars with blowers!!!??? Hell, I'm ordering a twin-turbo kit that will produce 600 HP. Ford just puts on a blower to make big HP. Why don't they just put an f'in big motor in there? No offense fellas, but Chevy will always win if similar Fords and Chevys are tested. The ZO6 makes 505 HP naturally aspirated!!!! Come on Ford, build a big motor and leave it at that!!!!
I can think of two, environmental regulations, fuel economy penalties.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Too dam heavy

475hp is nice. But 4000lbs?

Talk about a power to weight ratio that sucks. In my R&T magazine, they estimated the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds - that's horrible for a 475hp performance car imo.

·
Registered
528 Posts
fast05stang said:
When you say "Chevy will always win if similar Fords and Chevys are tested" do you mean similarly prices cars because I don't know of any GM product for $30,000 that is making 300hp and looking as good as my GT. A Z06 is how much, about $55,000?? A loaded Mustang GT is about $30,000 so take the extra $25,000 in your pocket, mod the hell out of you GT so it's around 500hp and you'll still have about $10,000 left over. Also I think some of the appeal of the Mustang is that you don't have to be loaded to drive a nice one, but a $60,000+ car is out of reach for a lot of people including myself. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, Puptent. We can all dump $20,000 into our Mustangs, and they'll be faster than some other, more expensive car. maybe I should have been more clear.....What I meant was that if you do the same mods to Chevys (specifically, a Corvette) as you would do to your 2007 Shelby, the Chevy, in my opinion, is a better value. Wouldn't you rather have a 474HP Naturally Aspirated Mustang, nd THEN be able to put a blower on it? I know I would. Simply put, Ford is lacking in the HP department. This is the first year (well, 2005) that the Mustang GT had at least 300 hp. What the hell?! Ford just needs to step it up in the "big motor" department.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with boomn also. 12.9 quarter-mile???!! That is NOT fast for that much power. Automobile tested the Corvette Z06 at 11.7!!! It has 505 hp.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The mustang competes with the camaro/Firebird, not corvette. So ford's lacking in the hp dept, completely thrashes the GM product since they cant even bring a competive product to the market place. You cant compare a 27000 sticker price to 48000......it just dosent work. And for all $$$ problems that ford has, GM's are worse.:evilchuck

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm with you guys. I think Ford should have tagged the 1st Shelby as a GT 350 and saved the GT 500 badge for a car with a bigger engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hogpowr, I'm not comparing our GTs with Vettes. I'm comparing the GT500 with the Vettes (which it is supposed to be compared to). Ford jst needs to step it up with bigger displacement.

·
Registered
622 Posts
fast05stang said:
hogpowr, I'm not comparing our GTs with Vettes. I'm comparing the GT500 with the Vettes (which it is supposed to be compared to). Ford jst needs to step it up with bigger displacement.
I don't know anyone that says they are supposed to be compared. They're in completely different categories... 4 seater... 2 seater.... $40k.... $65k Sure, people will compare them, but seriously they're not in the same league. The new Z06's competition is the Viper, Ford GT, and low to mid range Ferarris and Porches. And it beats a lot upper end super cars too. No one is comparing the GT500 to these cars, so why compare it to a 'vette?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I hope more people get mixed feelings about the Shelby...maybe I'll get one @ sticker that way ! :winks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Remember that they will produce at the most, 10,000 units, for the year. We all hope to get one. Actually we should feel lucky if one is purchased in the city that we live in.
Where is the nearest G.T. to us? How about where is the nearest T-Bird?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
005 GT said:
I'm with you guys. I think Ford should have tagged the 1st Shelby as a GT 350 and saved the GT 500 badge for a car with a bigger engine.
bigger than the 5.4! gawd dang man! have you SEEN the clearance on the sides of that engine in the bay of that s197 shelby? i couldnt slide my visa card between that engine and the strut tower on the passenger side. they probably would have went bigger, if it would have fit. sup'n up the 5.4 was probably the best alternative. also, from my understanding, the bottom end on that 5.4 is built like a brick sh1thouse and will reportedly hold up to 700 hp. the blower is most likely only running at a conservative 8 psi. if the above two items are true, a simple pulley swap and a reflash and the owner of a new Z06 will be getting a first hand eyeview of the back end of an 07 shelby....:drool: after you crank 'er to about 14psi or so and get it up near 600hp. at any rate, EVERY supercharged factory vehicle i have ever seen was very conservatively boosted or "safe tuned." i am sure the shelby will be no different. ford doesnt want to max it out and take the chance of replacing shelled engines under warranty. there are reliability and longegivity issues too for ford. the customer will expect that car to last at least 100,000 normal driven miles. there will be room for improvement and tweaking. that 5.4 should be able to put out more hp than 475 with a blower. think about it, there are guys running around with blown 4.6 3v's running close to 500! wonder if they still used that weak 2 piece driveshaft or if they put in a nice one piece aluminum. or better yet, carbon fiber. i hope for 40k to 45k!:eyebulge:

also, 12.9 does seem really slow for that car. what is our GT's? around 13.2 aren't they? surely that 12.9 is just a really conservative estimate. ford is usually more conservative with thier figures than other manufacturers. i doubt they have actually tested that yet. wait til the mags get a hold of them before you freak out on that number. logic says that it HAS to be faster than that. if not the gearing must suck or something. 475 hp should be good for at least high 11's....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Dea. R&E said:
Where is the nearest G.T. to us? How about where is the nearest T-Bird?
in oklahoma, t-birds are everywhere. never seen the GT in person. i have wondered sometimes if it is fictional. :laughlitt but in oklahoma you dont see ferraris, lambos, or other exotics of the like. roads here suck a$$. everyone who can afford cars like the GT can also afford to live in a state with better roads i guess. i wouldnt buy a GT and live in this state. drive it off into some dam pothole and never see it again.:eyebulge: :sosad: at any rate, youll bottom it out and rip the suspension all to hell....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nonsensez9 said:
I don't know anyone that says they are supposed to be compared. They're in completely different categories... 4 seater... 2 seater.... $40k.... $65k Sure, people will compare them, but seriously they're not in the same league. The new Z06's competition is the Viper, Ford GT, and low to mid range Ferarris and Porches. And it beats a lot upper end super cars too. No one is comparing the GT500 to these cars, so why compare it to a 'vette?
nonsenze, I really don't understand your argument. Vettes include both the C6 base model and the ZO6. Please enlighten me and tell me what the Shelby's competition is supposed to be. First, the Shelby will not sell for $40K (the STICKER is close to $46). Secondly, the fact that a Mustang has 4 seats doesn't mean it can't be compared to a Vette (or any 2 seater for that matter). Thirdly, no one can compare the GT500 to the supercars that you mentioned because it can't compete at that level, which was my point to begin with: the GT500 is NOT fast, and it should be better!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yep.......alotta truth in what you said there GTNOS. and ford still has the 5.4 aluminum block to play with yet. I havnt seen the 5.4 in a mustang yet...but there cant be much room. Still.......if they bring out the new Dodge Challenger with a 426 Hemi in it at around 500 hp.....i would think ford would want similar displacement in the mustang. I could be wrong in my thinking here. But i did see a pic of a new concept car from ford with a 429 in it. And it was called the 429. looked to be in a new fusion with different headlights and tail lights. Could be wishful thinking on my part.....i thought that engine in a mustang would make a great BOSS 429.....but maybe it cant be done.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
fast05stang said:
nonsenze, I really don't understand your argument. Vettes include both the C6 base model and the ZO6. Please enlighten me and tell me what the Shelby's competition is supposed to be. First, the Shelby will not sell for $40K (the STICKER is close to $46). Secondly, the fact that a Mustang has 4 seats doesn't mean it can't be compared to a Vette (or any 2 seater for that matter). Thirdly, no one can compare the GT500 to the supercars that you mentioned because it can't compete at that level, which was my point to begin with: the GT500 is NOT fast, and it should be better!
well, i can see both sides to this argument. first off, the base vette and the GT500 are nearly the same $$$ and hp. the vette is the only car i can think of that is of comparable price and hp to the GT500. however the base vette is a sports car, a sports car moving very quickly in the direction of being considered a supercar, which is GMs ultimate goal. the Z06 is definately a supercar. the shelby would be more classified as a muscle car, not a sports car and definately not a supercar. it will most likely not handle any better than the mustang GT, and at any rate no where near the vette. so that makes comparing the GT500 to a vette like apples and oranges. :eyebulge: quite confusing isnt it?

my opinion: compare the GT500 to the vette. at least until the challenger comes out. it seems there is no other car to compare it to. dont compare it to the Z06 though, the $$ difference is too great.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
boomn29 said:
475hp is nice. But 4000lbs?

Talk about a power to weight ratio that sucks. In my R&T magazine, they estimated the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds - that's horrible for a 475hp performance car imo.
i just looked, my sticker on my GT says GVWR is 4450lbs. considering i havent dbl checked on your claim of 4000, giving you the benefit of the doubt that its true, i have two questions:

1. i know they (SVT) are good but, lets see...
same s197 platform, same interior, im assuming same material for body panels, a heavier 5.4 liter, a six speed tranny (may be heavier, i donno) and a supercharger sitting on top. (i KNOW thats got to weight a hell of a lot more than the plastic intake) - how in the friggin world did they shave 450lbs off the weight from a stock GT with adding all that??? inquiring minds (especially mine) would like to know. if 4000lbs is true, it is not bad, its a blessing from god. divine intervention. HE personally graced the shelby! :kooky:

2. what formula did they (R&T) use to estimate that ET? b/c a car with 475 more hp and 450 pounds less in weight has GOT to be faster than .3 seconds to a car with 300hp and 450lbs more in weight. sounds physically impossible to me. :eyebulge: (stock GT 13.2 1/4mi - shelby est 12.9 1/4mi = difference .3 sec)

P.S. - imho R&T sucks. i have never believed their #'s. in the past they have been so far off from everyone else....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
well, as you guys can see, ive done alot of typing tonight in the defense of the shelby. my fingers are tired. gonna finish my beer and go to bed...:smoke:

·
Registered
622 Posts
fast05stang said:
The first post in this thread referenced only the 505hp Chev... ie the Z06. yeah, the GT500 might be compared to a base 'vette, even though it has two more seats and 800 more pounds. The Shelby doesn't really have a direct competitor in the market at the moment, and that's exactly what Ford was aiming for.... a sexy, 450+hp 4 seater that is more or less affordable. Nowhere else can 450hp be had for under $50k. Crazy that they're limiting production at a time they have that market cornered. Certainly, it could be faster, better handling, yada yada, but it would require a bigger price tag.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.