Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my name is mike riggins. i have a 2007 shelby gt, white with silver
stripes. it has 7600 miles on it. it smokes upon starting. ford tells me it is a unserviceable problem with 4.6 3v motors. id there anyone else with this problem? :wavey

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
i dont know alot but i think thats bs.

first off, most gts dont smoke with that low of miles on it.

make sure your useing the right oil, and such for it.
then tell teh dealer to screw off and go to a differeant dealer, with that low miles it shouldent smoke at all.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Is it actually smoke or water vapor. Burning oil would be blue. When you check the dipstick can you tell it is using oil and how much?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You might need to install a oil catch can to prevent oil from being pulled into the intake from the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Totally normal for a little smoke on startup on the 3V motor. If it persists after a few seconds you could have a problem.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yup, its going to do that unless you install an oil separator. I pulled my intake off to put delete plates on around 2500 miles and there was already oil on the butterfly valves. My car would sometimes put out a puff of smoke on startup. I haven't seen it since I put the catch can on.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
ok after reading the thread this idea just popped into my head, if there was the 427 "side oiler", could the 4.6 3v be known hence forth as the "top oiler"?...:scratchchin :gringreen

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would go to another dealer.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Every manufacturer on the planet has a smoking/burning oil threshold clause built into the wording of the warranty. They are set high. It would have to be smoking A LOT for them to do anything about it under warranty.

And “Take it to another dealer” is 9 times out of 10 not good advice. The dealer does not underwrite the warranty, pay the claim, approve repairs, etc. Ford does. If the smoking is under Fords threshold you could take it to every Ford dealer on the planet and they will not do anything to fix it because if they do they will not get paid by Ford for the work. If you wish to pursue it further contact Ford customer service.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Yup, its going to do that unless you install an oil separator. I pulled my intake off to put delete plates on around 2500 miles and there was already oil on the butterfly valves. My car would sometimes put out a puff of smoke on startup. I haven't seen it since I put the catch can on.
Not entirely true... A little oil is going to get past the rings on a cold start. Especially if the car was not run to operating temperature on the previous trip.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Not entirely true... A little oil is going to get past the rings on a cold start. Especially if the car was not run to operating temperature on the previous trip.
Oh yea I definitely agree with that. Without being brought to normal operating temp, the clearances are high because thermal expansion has not taken place. I have just not noticed any smoke on start up since I installed my separator. I always try to allow my car to operate at normal operating temperature (fans cycling) even if I am just giving a winter warm up every couple of weeks. Sometimes I let it idle for 30 minutes in the winter before I shut it back off.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Don't worry about it, its normal as everyone said, now if it fills the parking stall thats a different story. I would perform a leak down and comp. test if it really bugged me. If something looks out of wack after the tests, then I would share the results with my local FORD dealer and have them do it again. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My GT's engine does not smoke if it had run for at least 2 minutes(slightly longer in cold weather) during the previous startup.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
My car smokes a bit at startup. Always did. It still does a little after the catch can. There are alot of threads on this on this and other forums. Seems to be common and normal. Id be concerned if it didnt stop atfter getting warm and when driving.

·
Registered
176 Posts
the amount of smoke is the important thing here. without a description its difficult to tell if the smoke is considered normal or a problem. i remember the last time my car smoked... problem was very simple to solve, new built shortblock and i have never seen smoke since!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Whether you use synthetic oil or not makes a big differance. The synthetic oil never thickens up like regular oil when it gets cold which causes it to slip through the valve guides when the engine is cold. I had to stop putting the synthetic oil blend in my 4.6L F150 because of the large ploom of smoke . Still does it with regular oil but nowhere near as bad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.