Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard alot of hype and seen some good pics. Anyone hear about the prices?? Ive heard around 40k. I hope thats not true. The motor in my GT is excellent but some of the interior is pretty cheap. 40k for 450hp nowadays is alot of $$$. Whats the scoop?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
40k for 450hp is cheap. Look at the prices of other vehicles out there with that hp. I believe the vette is 50k plus, is it not???

·
Registered
261 Posts
i sure hope its more than $40000! so i can feel good about buying my gt. actually its kind of a double edged sword isnt it. if they sell them for , say, over $45000 then we all can be happy in the fact that we got our gts cheaper and were able to mod them and still save alot of $. but if they sell them for say $38-$40000 we'll be, well at least i'll be like," damn i should hav maybe waited and bought the cobra." i do believe theyll sell for over $45000 just because these moneygrubbing dealers will be jacking up thier prices like the $#$!#@ they are.( not all but most) and maybe also the production #'s will be limited. i do tell you this if i find one for $40000 or less i will probably do what i have to to buy it. thx for reading my rant. vynle - the thread killer!!!:winks

·
Registered
708 Posts
Alot of people filling dealers pre order lists are on them at +10k msrp sale prices. I think alot of them are going to be moved at more lik 50-55K.

·
Registered
134 Posts
R&T just did an article on the GT500 convertible in which they reported that Jay O'Conner of the SVT said that HP and torque were both in the 470 to 480 range but that the final numbers are still pending. 5.4L, 2.5-inch dual exhausts with and X-pipe, Eaton M122 S/C (10-12 psi). The price is reported at $44000, which isn't bad, however, from talking to the dealers, they are planning on raping anyone who wants one, so a Corvette might look a bit better once you visit the dealership. The Z06 comes in at around $65000, is almost a thousand pounds lighter, has 505 bhp @ 6300 rpm with 470 lb-ft of torque @ 4800.

----------------
Spec Sheet: Ford Shelby GT500 Convertible..
----------------
List Price - $44,000 (est)
Curb weight - 4000 lb (est) (vert)
Wheelbase - 107.1 in
Track, F/R - 62.8 in/63.0 in
Length - 187.6 in
Width - 73.9 in
Fuel Capacity - 16.0 gal
----------------
Engine & Drivetrain
----------------
Engine type - supercharged DOHC 4-vale/cyl V-8
Displacement - 5409 cc
Bore x stroke - 90.2 mm x 105.8 mm
Compression ratio - 8.4:1
HP (SAE) - 475 @ 6000 rpm (est)
Torque - 475 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm (est)
Fuel delivery - elect. sequential port
Transmission - 6-speed manual
----------------
Chassis & Body
----------------
Layout - front engine/rear drive
Brake system, f/r - discs/discs
Steering - rack & pinion, pwr assist
Suspension, f/r - modified MacPherson struts, coil springs, tube shocks,
anti-roll bar/live axle, 3-link, Panhard rod, coil springs, tube
shocks
Wheels - aluminum alloy, 18x9 in
Tires - Goodyear F1 Supercar; 255/45-18 f/285/40-18 r
----------------
Performance Claims
----------------
0-60 mph - 4.5 sec
1/4 mile - 12.9 sec
Top speed - 155 mph (electronically limited)

It is going to be interesting to stick a tuner on it and see what she'll do without the "electronic limitation". :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Of course, there is another option...

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
Pyrat said:
Of course, there is another option...
Great, so there will be 25 more Mustangs out there with that butt ass ugly rear wing and bling bling wheels. Just what we need.

·
Registered
465 Posts
hawgman said:
Great, so there will be 25 more Mustangs out there with that butt ass ugly rear wing and bling bling wheels. Just what we need.
I believe Shelby will take your V6 and churn out a Cobra GT350 for around 15k.
But, I agree with you and if I chose that route it would be sans wing and the ugly wheels. Other than that, it's a pretty sweet ride.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
HazMatLadder26 said:
Ive heard alot of hype and seen some good pics. Anyone hear about the prices?? Ive heard around 40k. I hope thats not true. The motor in my GT is excellent but some of the interior is pretty cheap. 40k for 450hp nowadays is alot of $$$. Whats the scoop?
first off. 40K for 450 hp is DIRT cheap. the base vette is 52K+ secondly i dont know what interior you have, but i am happy with the leather interior in my GT with the IUP. i think the quality of the interior is the best i have seen yet in a mustang and definately good quaility given the sub 30K price. third, as far as the interior quaility in the cobra. i know the ENTIRE dashpad is leather. the seats are not just "leather trimmed sport buckets" like the GT's they are full leather seats. fourth, ford has some of the best leather out there IMHO. and for that matter some of the best interiors period. fords interiors are tough. ive had GMs, it sucks. matter of fact, the only GM product that has decent leather is Cadillac. my last patrol unit was a 93 crown vic civvie model. it had 220,000 on it when i parked it for the last time. 220,000 police miles. probably 1,000,000 plus times of officers getting in and out of that car wearing duty rigs. (and if you dont know what i am talking about, a duty rig (belt with all the goodies) is hard on the seats. i wore a hole in my last gm truck with my gun holster just driving to work. back to the 93 vic, i $*** you not, i had to hold the door shut going down the highway, it was on its 3rd junkyard 4.6L, and second transmission, but the interior looked like brand new!:eyebulge: ford sold me on thier interiors a long time ago. my current unit, a 2000 with 96,000 looks like brand new too. if we (the cops) cant wear it out, then the $*** is tough, trust me... we put our cars through hell.:tongue

·
Registered
478 Posts
I haven't heard of what the price will be, but I was arguing with some guys on another site. they are thinking they will be able to buy one at sticker. I am thinking now way. I think they are only making 7500. I believe even the large dealers may only get 2-3 of them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
bigplayrayr said:
.... I think they are only making 7500. I believe even the large dealers may only get 2-3 of them.
The last word I heard from my dealer was that all of Tulsa (with a metro population of about 840,000) was getting 5 to 10 Shelbys.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can hear the posts now. The whining about not getting X-plan on the Shelby! Or the ones about dealers not accepting deposits. This car will be $20K over sticker, and that's for the few that are actually offered for sale. $60K is out of reach for most enthusiasts. The dealer principles will each get one, and any allocation left will go to their friends. So don't worry about seeing many of these for sale. The estimated MSRP means nothing. If Ford can make this car and retail it for around $40K, the "market" will determine the actual price. And finally, there's nothing "cheap" about the GT. Its quality is better than the early models, and certainly better than any Fox series. It's got more proven pieces than most cars. The 4.6 engine is rated among the best in the world 2nd year in a row. The trans is a Tremec! The GT's more expensive cousin, the FR500, is spanking Porsche and BMW. If you've worked on one, you know how clever it's panels and pieces are assembled. There are more aftermarket pieces and companies supporting this car than any in history. It's very well thought out. If you want to see "cheap" look at a 350Z interior. The Mustang isn't a high-line car. It's a damn good new-era muscle car at a great price. Thanks to Ford for building it. The Shelby is a masterpiece for the money, but realistically it won't be readily available. Build your own vision of it with the GT as your basis. It's a lot less money and a third the insurance!

·
Registered
829 Posts

and then I gotta ask..... WHY is it called a 2007 ? really now...

·
Registered
599 Posts
There wont be any shelbys sold for even close to sticker price. It is a 2007 because it is being released so close to the begining of the 2007 model year.........

·
Registered
13 Posts
"from talking to the dealers, they are planning on raping anyone who wants one, so a Corvette might look a bit better once you visit the dealership. The Z06 comes in at around $65000, is almost a thousand pounds lighter, has 505 bhp @ 6300 rpm with 470 lb-ft of torque @ 4800."

The Z06 Corvette lists at about $68,500, can be optioned up to a shade over $70,000, and is a thoroughly engineered high performance sport car in all respects, basically a road racer on the street. Before I bought my GT, I was planning on buying a Z06; however, the local dealers want $20,000 to $35,000 over list for them, escalating the prices to the $90,000 - $100,000 range - I won't even talk to dealers who try to pull that kind of stuff, it is, at best, highly insulting. On the advice of the service manager of a fairly large Chevrolet dealership, who has known me for many years, and knows my history with Corvettes and racing them, suggested to the sales manager that he call me and see if I was interested in a new 'Vette. He wanted $5,000 - $10,000 over list for a "normal" 2006 Corvette, depending on whether it was a coupe or convertible and which transmission (a convertible with 6-speed commanded the highest premium), and quoted me "about $15-20K over list" for a Z-06). This was just before the Z-06 had been released for sale. I told him that if he knocked off the B.S. "market adjustment," we might have a starting point for negotiating the price down from list, but he'd have a hard time selling me with that first impression.

I have wanted one of the new Shelbys since they were first announced; however, all the Ford dealers in the area that expect to receive one (or, at a max, 5 or 6) have been quoting "about" 10K over list price, but won't stick to it. Based on adding on to a $40,000 (coupe) or $44,000 (convertible) estimated list price, although it galls me to consider paying even list price, that would put the price in a reachable range. However, with regard to that, combined with the delay in availability until June, 2006, I decided to buy a Mustang GT, and see what shakes out later.

Yes, the currently quoted add-ons to the sticker price for the Shelby put it up in the list price range of a "standard" Corvette Coupe, but they are still below the convertible 'Vette sticker prices, and well below what a Z-06 can (at least currently) be purchased for. In the case of the Shelby, the relatively limited number of cars to be produced, along with the association with the historic name, will probably help retain value better than paying way too much for a Z-06. The Z-06 is, undoubtedly, superior in all aspects of performance, but I've seen the results of paying a large premium for a car based on a lot of media "hype" in the past - a year or two later, you can deal on the same car starting at list price and obtaining a discount, leaving all the first year buyers who paid a premium holding a now rather empty bag, monetarily speaking. The hit on the guys buying Z-06s at hugely inflated prices is not going to be pretty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hawgman said:
If the spoiler is functional and the wheels are actually lighter it wouldn't be a bad thing. Problem with most of these spoilers is they cause more drag than they generate down force.

Shelby offers two options on the CS6, the body kit, wheels and decals or the whole package. I suggested they offer a three stage setup like Roush, where you could opt for the body mods, suspension mods or engine mods separately and there was another guy who ask about getting the mods, without the body kit but they didn't answer either of us. Regarding the WCC, it appears they will only producing 25 of the vehicles so you might have to take it all or nothing.

I was watching the Barrett Jackson auctions yesterday and an original GT500 went for $510000, so from an invest standpoint buying a Shelby either one of the Shelbys and garaging it for a few years might be the thing to do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So Jim, how about a picture of your 1970 Shelby GT-350 Convertible? :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Pyrat said:
If the spoiler is functional and the wheels are actually lighter it wouldn't be a bad thing. Problem with most of these spoilers is they cause more drag than they generate down force.

Shelby offers two options on the CS6, the body kit, wheels and decals or the whole package. I suggested they offer a three stage setup like Roush, where you could opt for the body mods, suspension mods or engine mods separately and there was another guy who ask about getting the mods, without the body kit but they didn't answer either of us. Regarding the WCC, it appears they will only producing 25 of the vehicles so you might have to take it all or nothing.

I was watching the Barrett Jackson auctions yesterday and an original GT500 went for $510000, so from an invest standpoint buying a Shelby either one of the Shelbys and garaging it for a few years might be the thing to do.
I agree that over time, either the V6 or V8 Shelby could be a solid investment. I only wish that Shelby would have modled the GT 350 after the GT 500 in terms of appearance or at least left off the ricer wing and the ugly wheels. Lightweight or not, I'd prefer a set of Bullits and 20" is too ghetto for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i think you guys are going to see the new GT 500 going for 5 to 10K over list. i know of at least 2 guys that are prepared to pay as much as 10K over list for that car. but dont get too excited over that. theres a good reason ford dropped the cobra name from the GT 500. i believe we will see a "COBRA" mustang in a year or two. i do know ford has plans for a "Bullitt" addition, a "Mach 1", and a "Boss". ford is in business of making money....and they are going to ride this retro craze to the limit.

as for Carroll Shelby.....his motto is "make history, then repete it". he's comparing this new CS6 to the 1st GT 350. that makes me think Shelby will most likely be coming out with a high powered V8. maybe with the same supercharged aluminum block as the Ford GT. 550HP.
in any event.....the new Shelby GT 500 will not be the last of the super cars from ford or Shelby. this is just the beginning. lucky for us mustang lovers huh? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts