Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This sort of ties in with my original post which was resolved link.

The root cause of that issue was the starter, but during the troubleshooting process, the dealership decided to replace my Serpentine Belt which is now a problem...

It's been about 4-5 months since the belt was changed. The car only had about 30,000 KM on it when they stated it needed to be replaced. It's at approx. 34,000 KM now.

To get the best understanding of the chirp/squeak, I've uploaded a video to youtube:

2007 V6 4.0L Mustang - Serp Belt Chirp/Squeak (Only when cold) - YouTube

Information Summary/Questions:

1. The chirp only happens when the car is cold. My assumption is that the belt is too tight, and in the cold weather the belt condenses/shrinks even more causing the noise to becoming more apparent. Can anyone confirm?

2. I've seen A LOT of posts about one of the pulleys going. Could this be the case?

3. Could it be the belt tensioner? Do I need to replace it?

Car specs:

1. 2007 V6 4.0L
2. Manual Transmission
3. 34, 000 KM

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Jgarps

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found this guide on youtube for finding what causes belt noise. From what the video says, it sounds like there is a misalignment somewhere. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I replaced the serpentine belts with top of the line ones on my f150 and car, both of them squeaked. Went back and told the parts store and they gave me another one but wouldn't give me the other for the car, they said the squeaking is not covered for replacement. Put the new one on the truck and same thing, squeak, squeak......and yes everything else was good, it drove me NUTS!
My buddy owns a auto repair shop and told me to get a spray can of silicone and to spray some on the belts. Problem solved, but every now and then it needs to be sprayed again especially after driven in a hard rain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response Thumbhammer, I'll definitely take a look into the guide when I get home.

If it is just a misalignment, is it something to be concerned about? Should I leave it or have it readjusted?

@fordlover, thanks for the reply as well. I've read a few interesting articles on the net. Some people say to apply belt dressing on the Serp belt, while others say the complete opposite. Do you think this silicone spray could potentially cause issues down the road?

-Jgarps

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Thanks for the response Thumbhammer, I'll definitely take a look into the guide when I get home.

If it is just a misalignment, is it something to be concerned about? Should I leave it or have it readjusted?

@fordlover, thanks for the reply as well. I've read a few interesting articles on the net. Some people say to apply belt dressing on the Serp belt, while others say the complete opposite. Do you think this silicone spray could potentially cause issues down the road?

-Jgarps
I would never use belt dressing, sticky and messy and it gets all over. It could be just the belt itself, Im not gonna bash the company where mine came from but there suppos-to be the best.
I never used the silicone spray on my mustang, didn't have to, just the wifes car and one of my f150's. My sister has a bunch of corvettes and older chevys, she has quite the collection (see some pics on my members pic gallery) anyways she uses the silicone spray on all the door rubbers on her cars when there stored so they dont dry rot. She sprays it on them and then just closes the doors on them to the "first click" not completey closed so the rubbers dont get compressed, I did the same on my stang when I store her for 6 winters and nothing was hurt. If she uses the stuff on $100K cars then it must be safe.
I know it's a bit different under the hood, but the silicone is safe and wont hurt paint or anything. Im just throwing this out there as to what worked for me. I knew everything else was good on my car and truck befor I got new sepentine belts so there was no issues with anything but the belts, and since I could'nt get a replacement for them because they squeaked I had to fix it somehow, even though I did get one replacement for my truck and that one did the same thing. So a can of silicone spray was cheaper then trying to buy other belts to try when I just invested around $100 in 2 new top of the line ones.
Also my buddy who owns the auto repair shop told me this because he's changed many new serpentine belts with new ones that squeaked and the old ones didn't, he told me it happens a-lot and he's tried different styles also.
So Im not saying to try it or not, it's just what worked for me when I knew nothing else was the problem execpt the belt itself. I also used to take out the rubber pieces that are on the bottoms of our car doors and spray some silicone spray in the holes to take care of any condensation that may get in there when I stored my car, it never hurt a thing, I also did it in the cut outs in the deck lid.
Mabey you have some different problem, but if it didn't squeak befor then mabey like me it's the new belt itself, go back and have them replace it if they will and see if another one works. Sure a missalligned belt will cause a squeak squeak, but the pulleys on our stangs arn't like the older pulleys like on my 90 f150 where the belt can move to one side or the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi fordlover,

I just wanted to express my thanks for the thorough break-down and overview of your experience.

It's nice to see people take the time and effort to explain things in great deal for those of us who need a better understanding.

What is the make of the silicone spray you use?

Once again, many thanks.

-Jgarps

·
Registered
119 Posts
to figure out if it is your belt simply put a dab of di-electric grease on the belt in spots before it contacts pullies, now the sound u have sounds very similar to mine which I am replacing the water pump. I found the waterpump is not leaking but if you take off the belt and get a wiz wheel or something to spin the water pump pully alone at a high rate of speed like idle u can hear it squeal, I guess the bearing in the pump pully have started to wear... good luck and hope this helps:smartass:

·
Registered
119 Posts
also check all pullies for excessive play that could also do it I read a thread earlier about the crankshaft pully slipping off and losing your serp belt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply MachV6. I'm going to take a look around this weekend when I have some free time. I'll keep your suggestions in mind!

-Jgarps

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Hi fordlover,

I just wanted to express my thanks for the thorough break-down and overview of your experience.

It's nice to see people take the time and effort to explain things in great deal for those of us who need a better understanding.

What is the make of the silicone spray you use?

Once again, many thanks.

-Jgarps
Sure it could be other things but since your belt never squeaked befor they replaced it with a new one then Im guessing like me it's the new belt. Hey spending $3.00 on a can of silicone spray is worth a try befor spending money on parts that dont need to be replaced.
This is the silicone spray I use, I get it at wal-mart but all the parts stores carry it also, it's worth a try. Juts spray some on the belt with the motor off, then start it and see what happens
Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi fordlover,

Once again, a big thanks for your reply and detailed response.

As you stated, I'm going to give this a try before proceeding with any other alternatives.

Many thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey i'm not sure if its the same, but I had a chirping when cold on mine, drove me crazy for about 3 months, I changed the pulleys, the water pump, everything. Cost me a fortune! The noise still never went away. In desperation I took the new belt off (Dont ask me why I was so mad at this noise lol) which was about 4 months old and changed it out for one of those Gatorback ones, I picked it up from auto-zone was only like 14 bucks, and the noise stopped! no chirp, squeak, nothing. The one i had was a Dayco belt, to test, I put the dayco belt back on and squeak squeak chirp chirp. Maybe worth trying a different type of belt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mustang Mattlov,

Thanks for this reply. I'm actually going to try this on the weekend. I haven't yet went with applying any substance to the belt. I figure I'll replace it first to see if the chirp goes away.

Looks like Canadian Tire sells the Gatorback Serp belt so I'll try to pick one up and give it a go!

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts