Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, my 2007 V6 Mustang Convertible is getting mediocre gas mileage. Not poor, but not as much as I feel I should be getting. I am getting ~17 mpg in my car with my driving being about 50% city and 50% interstate. My father owns a 2008 Mustang Convertible GT with the V8 and his gets ~20 mpg in a similar driving situation. our driving habits are also very similar. (Neither of us stomp the pedal, take off fast, etc.) I'm not exactly concerned about it, but I feel like I should be getting more out of my gas. My old vehicle, a 1999 Chevrolet blazer, got 15.5 mpg in the same conditions and I was expecting more than a 1.5 mpg difference between a 4x4 SUV and a lighter car... I am planning on seafoaming the car within the next few weeks to clean it out just because, and I am considering replacing the spark plugs but I don't think it needs it (haven't checked them, but I just hit 61k miles and they're stock). Is there anything you guys would recommend? Anything that's a common issue with these mustangs that I should know about? What kind of maintenance should I consider getting done to it soon/now? I can tell you that it runs great, and that the only work ever done to it has been oil changes and a bad wheel bearing. I just got this car about two months ago and I'd love to keep it in great shape. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
As the title says, my 2007 V6 Mustang Convertible is getting mediocre gas mileage. Not poor, but not as much as I feel I should be getting. I am getting ~17 mpg in my car with my driving being about 50% city and 50% interstate. My father owns a 2008 Mustang Convertible GT with the V8 and his gets ~20 mpg in a similar driving situation. our driving habits are also very similar. (Neither of us stomp the pedal, take off fast, etc.) I'm not exactly concerned about it, but I feel like I should be getting more out of my gas. My old vehicle, a 1999 Chevrolet blazer, got 15.5 mpg in the same conditions and I was expecting more than a 1.5 mpg difference between a 4x4 SUV and a lighter car... I am planning on seafoaming the car within the next few weeks to clean it out just because, and I am considering replacing the spark plugs but I don't think it needs it (haven't checked them, but I just hit 61k miles and they're stock). Is there anything you guys would recommend? Anything that's a common issue with these mustangs that I should know about? What kind of maintenance should I consider getting done to it soon/now? I can tell you that it runs great, and that the only work ever done to it has been oil changes and a bad wheel bearing. I just got this car about two months ago and I'd love to keep it in great shape. Thanks for any input!
Afraid I don't have a suggestion other than the standard tune-up reply. I have a 2008 V6 coupe with 50K on it, have been getting 23-24 mpg with the same 50-50 combo of city and highway. I think that's about normal from what I've read.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly qualifies as a "Standard tune-up" for a car with 60,000 miles?
And yeah, I was expecting to get at least 20mpg on this car.. a little disappointed at <17.. (Gets down to 15 if I have a lead foot)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i get around 17-19 mpg in my 99 v6, should be geeting like double that according to sticker value, but your car is 98 years newer with 1/3 the miles so it shouldn't be getting that bad already. replace spark plugs, air filter, and seafoam it then see how it does

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm getting 20-22 on my 2008 v6. It's varies since I do about 50/50 like you. 17 is way to low if you don't have alot of mods. Some mods aid in mpg. Like a CAI and a tune. I'd have to say a tune up may be in order. Spark plugs, coil, wires, fuel filter, air filter. Have you also checked your tire pressure? Too low can hurt gas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's got a brand new air filter (less than a month old) and the tires should be alright (no TPS light) though I will check them once I get off work. Are new spark plugs justifiable at 61,000 miles? I mean I know they are cheap but I don't get paid much haha. Also, there are no mods whatsoever on the engine/tranny side. Only things I have done to the car is overhauled the stereo (had to buy door panels off a wrecked GT for subs), added sequential tail lights, and had vinyl stripes put on. Everything else is stock.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well with all my mods, I'm getting 20-22. And you can always just check the plugs. Their discoloration can tell you if they're bad or if you're running rich or anything of the sort. I know in actually running a little rich because my exhaust smells terrible when I get on it. So I could actually be doing better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I average 16-18 mpg around town driving. When I do more highway driving my mpg gets much better 22-25 mpg. Big old design v6 with a heavy car(+200lbs for vert) = average mileage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ran some seafoam through it yesterday. The smoke was mostly white so there wasn't too much carbon buildup. Triggered a check engine light after lol... Money bets it was a misfire.. But a quick unplug + replug of the battery cleared that. Still need to check the tires and still considering new spark plugs but I will check them first. The spark plugs seem like they are a PITA to get to though.

Note: I understand that this isn't the lightest car in the world (especially with the convertible) but come on.. As I said before, my old vehicle which was at least a thousand pounds heavier 4X4 SUV and 8 years older got only 1.5 mpg less than this thing is getting. That isn't even really worth it! I miss having an SUV. The mustangs are so impractical.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Buying a 07 with 61K and only having it for a couple of months I'd have Tuned it Up, not telling how the previous owner took care of it.
Plugs should cost you about $9, Im sure you can afford that:gringreen I'd also do the wires and fuel filter. Something else no one has mentioned is changing the Oil with some Good Oil. I use Mobil 1 and Full Synthetic Oil does help your engine to run smoother and Cooler in the Summer.
Im guessing your using 87 Octane with a Factory Tune. I know moneys tight but you should save up and get a CAI and Tuner with a Good Tune. The Factory Tune is Sluggish both to your Throttle Response and to your Tranny. A good tune like the 93 Race Tune will also cut out the Emissions Junk that Robs your Motor of Power and Preformance.
I run the 93 Race Tune and yes 93 Octane is more expensive than 87, but your getting better quality gas and it cost you just around $4 more a tankful to fill up. Im getting better gas mileage with the 93 Octane and Tune than I did when I was using the 87 with the Factory Tune so it all evens out price wise. But more importantly Im having more FUN now with My Mustang.
Good Luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last owner was my father, and before that, a rental company...
My dad put cheap oil in it from a 5-minute oil place which is going to be replaced in about 2k miles.
Fuel filter will probably be replaced at the next oil change along with the spark plugs too.
On another note, I may go for the cold air intake at some point, but it isn't a priority for me. And that "emissions junk" may rob you of a little performance but without it we'd all be choking on smog. There's a reason it's there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If this idea was stated somewhere and I missed it I apologize, but how are you calculating your mileage? Are you manually calculating it by filling it up, clocking the mileage, filling back up and doing the math or are you relying on the dash display?

In my experience the digital readout calculated by the car isn't all that reliable.

·
Registered
169 Posts
go with the cold air induction, Get a programer and tune to 91 octane, change the coil to screamin demon and open the plugs to their recommendation,of course get new plugs, and by all means change that restriction muffler, go to duals if you can. I get 25mpg around town and 29 hwy.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The last owner was my father, and before that, a rental company...
My dad put cheap oil in it from a 5-minute oil place which is going to be replaced in about 2k miles.
Fuel filter will probably be replaced at the next oil change along with the spark plugs too.
On another note, I may go for the cold air intake at some point, but it isn't a priority for me. And that "emissions junk" may rob you of a little performance but without it we'd all be choking on smog. There's a reason it's there.
Well Im guessing the way your Stang is running now that your Polluting the air more with Carbon then it would be if you had the "emission junk" turned off. Maby you should trade it in for a Chevy Volt:gringreen problem solved:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd love a Chevy volt... But I don't have $40,000 lol
Oh and I have a base model so I don't get the digital readout. I've been using the odometer.
Guys I don't have the $$$ to be changing the muffler or exhaust or coils, so it isn't even worth mentioning.
I'm a college student working 20 hrs /week at $8/hr.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'd love a Chevy volt... But I don't have $40,000 lol
Oh and I have a base model so I don't get the digital readout. I've been using the odometer.
Guys I don't have the $$$ to be changing the muffler or exhaust or coils, so it isn't even worth mentioning.
I'm a college student working 20 hrs /week at $8/hr.
Do the plugs and fuel filter and synthetic oil change and you should see a difference.
Best of Luck!

·
Registered
469 Posts
go with the cold air induction, Get a programer and tune to 91 octane, change the coil to screamin demon and open the plugs to their recommendation,of course get new plugs, and by all means change that restriction muffler, go to duals if you can. I get 25mpg around town and 29 hwy.
I wish I was that lucky!

I run CAI 91 tune, true dues with LT's and O/R pipe, and get 18 lead footing it and 20 granny driving...That's 70 highway 30 city. Not to mention Im running royal purple and have a screaming demon coil with upgraded wires.

To the OP, i agree that having good oil will help, although not dramatically, and even just a tuner for now is a great start to save up for. It is going to be the best bet to get some power while getting some MPG as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm up for suggestions on spark plugs. I'm considering the NGK Iridium IX 7316 spark plugs. Anyone tried them? is there something better?
Btw thanks guys!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm up for suggestions on spark plugs. I'm considering the NGK Iridium IX 7316 spark plugs. Anyone tried them? is there something better?
Btw thanks guys!
I have a 2006 V6 convertible. With the CAI/ JLT tuner w/ BAMA tunes [89 Street] I get 22mpg mixed
(with gentle driving, sticking to the speed limits etc.) and 20mpg aggressive driving.
18mpg mixed if I floor it most of the time. :D
This is for my average commute 5 miles city, 20 miles hwy - medium traffic.

I once drove all hwy, got better than 25mpg sticking close to limits (~70mph).

I'll be doing my 90,000 service soon. Will do my spark plugs too. Will also change fuel filter & spark plug wires.

Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Having a bit of a sputtering problem during idle since the seafoam treatment... I wish I would have known that you're supposed to get an oil change after. I've driven a decent amount since then. I hope nothing bad has happened :/
Going to get the oil changed after work and spark plugs at the same time probably.

Edit: Just checked their website, and they claim it's safe to leave it so honestly I'm sure it's fine.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html

1 - 20 of 35 Posts