Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was challenged to a race in my v6 auto mustang against a cobalt ss (supercharged) and i was curious if my auto v6 would beat his SS in a 1/4 mile drag on a backroad?

any advice or tips would be appreciated.

P.S. Overdrive on or off for this drag?

·
Registered
127 Posts
i dont think u will quite cut it on this one, but idk. me n my v6 beat a 07 honda civic SI, but then again a civic is a civic ;p

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Cobalts can be pretty nasty on the high end. From what I've heard and read they respond very well to mods and are great on the top end. It boils down to what you guys have done to your car. There is always the chance he may miss a gear or flat out suck at driving. My favorite part of drag racing my auto at the track is the consistancy of the runs with a good tune. I never have to worry about missing a gear or making sure I'm at redline, its always there.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Oh and when your racing you turn OD off. OD just turns off 5th gear which is basically a fuel saving gear when your at highway cruisng speeds. Also make sure your traction control is off or else you will lose a lot of power off the line.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Cobalts can be pretty nasty on the high end. From what I've heard and read they respond very well to mods and are great on the top end. It boils down to what you guys have done to your car. There is always the chance he may miss a gear or flat out suck at driving. My favorite part of drag racing my auto at the track is the consistancy of the runs with a good tune. I never have to worry about missing a gear or making sure I'm at redline, its always there.
Agreed.... Cobalts are more of a GT style race, or your car on the juice. They're too light.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

i was pretty sure i wouldnt be able to take him.

im planning on getting a supercharger in the next year or two.

any suggestions? for brands or quality?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a 2000 v6 mustang with ford 4.10 gears and P-track and a cold air intake, nd some little cheesy chip but i raced my freinds cobalt ss yesterday, rolling starts arent even a good race and mustangs arent that hot on rolling starts so he got me by like half a car length there and then on a race from the stop i took him and led by a car length.

its not impossible to beat one of them my cousin's 1998 gt would smash on him.
ps mines no gt

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
IF it is the supercharged Cobalt then it will eat a bolt on V6 Stang.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
IF it is the supercharged Cobalt then it will eat a bolt on V6 Stang.
My thoughts exactly, drivers being equal and all, a s/c cobalt should win.

Are you sure its a non s/c SS? They do come without the blower.

·
Registered
293 Posts
pretty sure the SS are all supercharged... could be wrong... but I used to drive a neon srt-4... those things would eat stock 05 V8's like a fat guy at a chinese buffet... and the Supercharged Cobalt gave me a run for my money... didn't beat me... but just under a car length from a standstill AND a roll...

me thinks the Cobalt will win :so

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You can get SS's without a blower.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
the new ones are turbo charged, they made a n/a ss back in the first years of em

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Newest ones are.

·
Registered
967 Posts
08+ have a turbocharged 2.0 ouputting 260. you'll never touch those unless you have a supercharger and he's stock.
07 and older have a supercharged 4 banger throwing down 205. they also weigh 700 lbs less though. an s197 v6 with full bolt ons + 4.10's should be able to beat the stock SS S/C. then again i got a permanent ban on the cobalt ss forums for trying to argue my case lol go figure. i'll have full bolt ons by christmas time and a dyno (underdrives and longtubes away). i'll pick a fight with one of those pesky pos cars and i'll let you know how it goes. :bigthumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.