Ford Mustang Forum banner

2007 v6 tire size, rim size, info

48K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  az.dsrt 
#1 ·
I'm not very fluent in auto lingo, so I thought I would ask a sort of broad question. What are the different sizes of tires that can be put on a 2007 v6? Can different size tires go on the same rims? do you need different rims to get different tires? I'm just trying to get everything straight for the next tire purchase. I'd be nice to go in and know what I'm talking about. lol thanks in advance!

#2 ·
215/60/17. First number is the tire width the bigger the number the wider the tire. Second number is height. Same thing higher the number taller the tire. Last number is rim size for 17" rims.
You can put a few different size tires on those rims. They aren't made for just one size.

Google a tire calculator. I'll post a useful site later tonight when I get home.

#3 ·
A little more detail...

215/60/17
215 = width of the tread in millimeters
60 = aspect ratio, or percentage of the width, aka it is 60% of 215mm tall that's from the lip of the wheel to the tread.
17 = the wheel diameter in inches.

this is where I go to see if things fit ok:
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

As far as what tire widths fit well on what wheel widths, it depends on the tire and wheel sometimes. The site I listed has recommended wheel widths for the tire size you put in.

The key thing to remember is overall wheel/tire diameter. You don't want to change that or it throws your speedometer and odometer off.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

#6 ·
you want to stay with the stock over all tire height. in this case its 27". if you go with a larger rim, then you want to go with a shorter sidewall.
a 215/65-16 is the same height as a 235/60-16,,,or a 255/50-17 :) punch in your numbers and compare. i forgot whats stock on the gt`s, 235/?-17

if you go under the stock height, you`ll gain gear ratio but give up mpg and it will throw off the speedo, too tall and you`ll gain mpg but loose gear ratio and throw off the speedo

#7 ·
My pony package (GT rims) had 235/55/17 pirelli's when I bought it. I have an additional question.. When they say rims are 17 by 8.5 or 9, that's the width across the bead right?

So say if you had 17 by 10 rims in back, an individual would have to look at something like a (235 or whatever)/(40-50)/17 tires correct? Numbers are probably way off, but I'm trying to understand the concept..

#8 ·
In all honesty a 235 on a 10in wide rim would be too narrow. 235s are good for 7-8.5 or so. For a 10in wide wheel you'd want like 275 or 285s

A good rule of thumb to maintain the overall diameter is for every 20mm wider drop 5% on the aspect ratio. And for every inch larger diameter wheel drop 5% on the aspect ratio.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
My Mustang came with stock 215/65R16 wheels/tires, I switched over to 275/40R17 wheels/tires and my speedometer was reading about 3 miles over my actual speed(checked with iPhone app, so not super precise). Its easy to fix if you have an aftermarket Tuner. With a DiabloSport tuner go to PERFORMANCE TUNE(of your choice)>MODIFY PARAMETERS>AXLE RATIO>(make your adjustment here)>then back up till you see INSTALL TUNE NOW and install the corrected tune.

This website does all the math for you so you can just plug in the values
Tire Calculator

the stock tune was written as 775 rev/mi, it was adjusted to 786 rev/mi to adjust for the smaller circumference of the wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.