Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2008 Bullitt, bone stock with 11k miles.
Also any suggestions for an exhaust for my car? I'm not really looking to get a tune any time soon, and I would like for it to stay emissions legal in CA.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Mufflers, also known as "axle back" do not affect emmissions at all ; as long as you leave the factory catalytic converters alone there should be no problem with emmissions.

However, some parts of California are pretty strict about noise level . . . I think they might even have laws that say you cannot change the exhaust system from stock in any way . . . I guess it depends on how strictly they enforce it in your area.

There are tons of options for mufflers for these cars. You can go from just a little bit louder to NASCAR loud. The FRPP M-5230-S mufflers get high votes from a lot of people, but they are expensive.

Personally I think the Bullitt sounds pretty darn good stock. You should try to be more clear about what you want to change, and then someone can probably give some better suggestions.

Value of the used mufflers? Maybe $50 or so? A lot of people do like those Bullitt mufflers so hopefully you can get a few dollars for them It is hard to get rid of the regular GT mufflers because so many people take them off, I sold mine for $25 for the pair, practically free.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Given the Bullitt is a somewhat rare Mustang, I would at least hang onto the original mufflers for when it's time to sell the car. The next owner may want it original..

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought the bullit muflers for my 08 gt. I bought them brand new. They sound awesome with my offroad h pipe. Keep the mufflers you might want them later.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought the bullit muflers for my 08 gt. I bought them brand new. They sound awesome with my offroad h pipe. Keep the mufflers you might want them later.
Justin73...I've been thinking about the same exact combination. Which offroad H pipe did you use? Also, have you posted a sound clip anywhere? I've not been able to find a sound clip for that combination.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mufflers, also known as "axle back" do not affect emmissions at all ; as long as you leave the factory catalytic converters alone there should be no problem with emmissions.

However, some parts of California are pretty strict about noise level . . . I think they might even have laws that say you cannot change the exhaust system from stock in any way . . . I guess it depends on how strictly they enforce it in your area.

There are tons of options for mufflers for these cars. You can go from just a little bit louder to NASCAR loud. The FRPP M-5230-S mufflers get high votes from a lot of people, but they are expensive.

Personally I think the Bullitt sounds pretty darn good stock. You should try to be more clear about what you want to change, and then someone can probably give some better suggestions.

Value of the used mufflers? Maybe $50 or so? A lot of people do like those Bullitt mufflers so hopefully you can get a few dollars for them It is hard to get rid of the regular GT mufflers because so many people take them off, I sold mine for $25 for the pair, practically free.
Yes I know about the emissions, but I was talking about possibly switching for an O/R X Pipe. I like the tone of the stock exhaust, but want it a bit louder haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given the Bullitt is a somewhat rare Mustang, I would at least hang onto the original mufflers for when it's time to sell the car. The next owner may want it original..
That's a good point. I haven't even considered the resale because I have been so excited, but you're right. I'm not sure I could ever sell it though. Already feel so attached. hahah

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the Bullitt mufflers on my 09 GT. For my tastes they're not great with an O/R H. They sound great with my cams at idle but the more you get in it, the sound becomes thin and more raspy. They are however pretty quiet cruising the interstate with very little drone at all. I'm looking for something else that's much deeper in tone. Just my .02.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Yes I know about the emissions, but I was talking about possibly switching for an O/R X Pipe. I like the tone of the stock exhaust, but want it a bit louder haha.
I'm pretty sure that in San Jose, California, they will throw you in jail and throw away the key for running an off-road exhaust . . . off road means illegal for on-road use because it has no catalytic converters, and I think they take that stuff seriously in California.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the Bullitt mufflers on my 09 GT. For my tastes they're not great with an O/R H. They sound great with my cams at idle but the more you get in it, the sound becomes thin and more raspy. They are however pretty quiet cruising the interstate with very little drone at all. I'm looking for something else that's much deeper in tone. Just my .02.
Waynemac....thanks much for the feedback. That was the exact combination I was thinking of doing (including cam's). What I'm really looking for is something that has some resemblance to long tube headers. I love the sound of LT's, but I'm just not ready to pull the trigger getting them installed. I've heard some off-road H along with axlebacks on utube that sound somewhat similar to LT's, but I've not been able to identify the combination.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I used the pipes offroad h pipe. I also have the hot rod cams and the car sounds awesome. I will post a YouTube video this coming week. I will let you know when I get it posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.